Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven-English Translator  (Read 26877 times)

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven-English Translator
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 07:03:23 pm »

Biscuit is not in language files. Strange when biscuits are bacbone of dwarven diet.

I thought the backbone of the dwarven diet consisted of plump helmet, biscuits, stews, and roasts, with all but the former-most being cooked from everything edible, although they are usually made from rock nut leaves and dwarven wine.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 08:22:38 pm »

Aval idrom udos talul - shukar udos talul bembul !
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:52:42 pm by Rashilul »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 12:49:11 am »

Updated.

It now handles punctuation without coughing up numbers, but it still won't process a word with a period at the end. I've switched over from GET to POST, which doesn't really do much other than the aforementioned fix, as well as making it difficult to keep the behavior exactly the same. Now there's one button which will swap and translate the input box contents when you press it, rather than the two buttons with individual functions. This might, some day, speed things up for someone doing something, but I can't imagine how. Anyway, it's simpler this way. Just know that if you enter "kogan usan" in the Dwarven box and "Boat Murdered" in the English box, it will translate both.

So, yeah.

Oh, and if it gives you a "Bad Gateway" error, it means I'm working on it and broke something. That said, I'm going to get back to terrain and such, now, so I probably won't touch this for quite a while.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2010, 06:21:52 am »

i hate to bump an old thread but the link seems to be broken and i really wanna have access to this tool thingy.
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2010, 09:13:35 am »

Wow, was I actually thinking of posting

Clearly biscuit is already in dwarven.  It is just what they call it and just out of coincidence it has the same name as earth food.

When was the last time you made a single biscuit that feeds 10 for a month out of nothing but syrup and rum?"
But then I decided to check the end of the thread to make sure noone else already said it.  I didn't notice the July date...

I agree though, I wouldn't mind the opportunity to play with this.  Is there another similar one that still works perchance?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2010, 10:09:59 am »

I'll stalk Tahin IRL and get him to get this working again.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

turboferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2010, 02:02:09 pm »

Here's a quick hack if anyone wanna try it.
http://virtual.fize.se/df/
The topmost field is english and the other is whatever language you choose. Works both ways. Seems abit dodgy at the moment ;)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2010, 08:27:05 pm »

He says he hates you and he might write it in PHP if he changes his mind.

Lex Talionias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2010, 07:04:48 am »

The topmost field is english and the other is whatever language you choose. Works both ways. Seems abit dodgy at the moment ;)

yeah, glitchy sums that up... could someone just link me to a dwarfish dictionary? or just tell me what 'solamnunok' is in dwarf?
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

undead whales will seriously delay your megaproject.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2010, 10:48:29 am »

The raw files include the entire language in raw text. Just search through that. Note that accented characters may be hard to read, depending on your text editor.

Faustin1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2011, 02:49:18 pm »

yeah, glitchy sums that up... could someone just link me to a dwarfish dictionary? or just tell me what 'solamnunok' is in dwarf?

I translated it and I got smwwdrinkdlopennunfinginfinite <-- So I would guess hmm.... drink, open, nun, infinite, finite.
Could be anyone of these or all of 'em.
Pages: 1 [2]