Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Yale Researchers Create First Quantum Processor  (Read 19236 times)

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yale Researchers Create First Quantum Processor
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2009, 01:23:05 pm »

It's more having one particle in America and one particle in Europe that are connected through this thingy, then changing the one from America from 1 to 0, the European particle would change at the same time.

Of course they did this at 1m apart.

Actually, it's more like having one particle in America and Europe at the same time.
!!&!!

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2009, 03:02:25 pm »

Quantum computing scares the ever loving hell out of my brain.

It's more than binary, but not quite trinary either, because instead of a third possibility per bit, it's merely the chance of it being in both states at once.

It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2009, 03:09:54 pm »

Yeah, so 1 quibit is like 2 normal bits.  And 2 quibits are like 4 normal bits.  And 3 are like 8 normal bits.  And this means that you start to get into unfeasible numbers quickly.  A computer with the same number of quibits as the average computer has bits would have more bits worth of processing power than there are atoms in the universe.  OMG, hax.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2009, 03:18:36 pm »

No. 1 Qbit is like 1 Qbit. To compare it with a normal bit is to compare apples to... giraffes.
!!&!!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2009, 03:29:27 pm »

No. 1 Qbit is like 1 Qbit. To compare it with a normal bit is to compare apples to... giraffes.
In terms of theoretical processing power.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2009, 03:46:25 pm »

My CPU runs at 9001 giraffes.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2009, 03:47:27 pm »

You could still theoretically run the same programmes on such things, so it is sortof possible to make a comparison.

Angellus

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2009, 03:48:56 pm »

I agree with Leafsnail, though Qbits are capable of more then up and down afaik.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2009, 04:46:21 pm »

It's the whole collapsing the quantum state that people are so excited about.  We collapse it, and we get an answer.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2009, 04:56:11 pm »

It's more having one particle in America and one particle in Europe that are connected through this thingy, then changing the one from America from 1 to 0, the European particle would change at the same time.

Of course they did this at 1m apart.

Actually, it's more like having one particle in America and Europe at the same time.
My head hurts.

><
:(

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2009, 05:55:09 pm »

http://www.physorg.com/news165836423.html

Quantum memory successfully made. Potential for quantum entanglement networks, which could allow for faster than light communication.

You're sending quantum states faster then the speed of light, but you're not sending information faster then the speed of light, if I recall correctly. The problem is that if you'd measure the spin of the entangled particle, then the wavefunction collapses, and you get up on one side of the pair and down on the other side. However, since you can't predict the side that will be up or down, you can't use that information for anything.

Wath you can use entanglement for, in the case of quantum computing, is for makign sure each computer gets the same quantum data. You'll still need to feed either computer the clasical data seperately, but you can make sure they're all int he same quantum-mechanical state, so they essentialy have the same "program".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2009, 06:58:48 pm »

Wait, so how does "entanglement" work again? You change one particle, then another particle somewhere else changes itself for no reason?

Sorry, I'm a quantum dummy.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2009, 09:46:11 pm »

Okay, maybe some clearing up of quantum...stuff is needed.

Only if you are interested.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quantum entanglement basically "links" the probabilities of two particles together.  On quantum scales, nothing has a known state until you measure it, so the two particles have all states at the same time, it just so happens their states "line up."  When one is spinning clockwise, so is the other (roughly speaking, of course).  The idea being you change one particle to 'up' and the other follows suit.  The problem is, while unmeasured the two particles "line up," as soon as you measure one to see if the bits have changed, it screws up the entanglement.  So you can alter the states of the particles faster than light, but the math keeps you from transmitting any information this way as you can count on the particles having the same state, just not when you want to know what state that is.  If you could, then the universe would be fucking broken.  Like, you know how in Dogma proving the big man (or woman ;) ) wrong would 'unmake' everything in the blink of an eye?  It would be like that.  Existence would unravel.

Not to say that, like in Dogma, there may be loopholes...
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2009, 09:59:12 pm »

Shit.
I see Zen.

I'll going to take a drink of water to cool me down.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2009, 10:44:49 pm »

That's... awesome. Simplest way I've yet seen it described.

Wonder if the number 42 can be worked into the process somewhere...
I'm Mr. Cellophane
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6