Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who will win the final battle of Warriors of Armok, and how?

Fireheart (beheading)
- 5 (33.3%)
Fireheart (bisection)
- 1 (6.7%)
Fireheart (cleaving)
- 5 (33.3%)
Nichaey (beheading)
- 3 (20%)
Nichaey (bisection)
- 1 (6.7%)
Nichaey (cleaving)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36

Author Topic: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [The Final Match: Fireheart vs. Nichaey]  (Read 107282 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Post 1: WoA News
Post 2: Prologue
Post 3: Introduction
Post 4: WoA Information
Post 5: The Warriors of Armok

WoA News

10/31/2009
The final Warriors of Armok matchup between Fireheart and Nichaey is posted on page 36, screenshots only. The final update with commentary will be delayed.

09/27/2009
After a really, really, really long wait (sorry!), Nichaey vs. Rysith is finally posted! See page 34 to find out who Fireheart will be defending his title against in this number one contenders match.

08/22/2009
Four Unskilled Preliminary matches have been posted on page 32. Fights include Damug "The Berserker" vs. Samus, Olon "Workerdrone" vs. Kol "The Lion", Necksnapper vs. Toram and Deathlord vs. Kadol "The Bloody Ruby".

08/21/2009
Kesham battles Nichaey on page 32 for the opportunity to fight Rysith.

08/17/2009
After a long wait, these preliminary matches are over with Urist McUrist vs. Labs and Kesham vs. Ravus Maniacus posted on page 30. See the same post for what is next.

08/15/2009
The fourth 1st Degree prelims is posted on page 29, Urist McHammerdwarf vs. Diego "The Smasha".

Spoiler: Old News (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 06:15:41 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life (The Phoenix Opening: Signups Open)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:41:11 pm »

Prologue
You hear rumours that the combat training fortress codenamed the Phoenix will be opening its doors soon. You’ve wanted to be a great dwarf warrior all your life and so you decide one day to leave home and seek out this place. You take with you all that you have, some food rations and 500☼.

After months of traveling from mountainhome to mountainhome you finally arrive at the gates of Phoenix. A towering wall with many turrets concealed the dwarf city and outside the gates were many tents set up, other dwarves who came to train and were waiting patiently for the bridge to lower.

Spoiler: Outside the City (click to show/hide)

Days past by. The crowd was beginning to grow impatient when movement could be heard beyond the wall. The steel bridge creaked and groaned as it began to lower. Seven dwarves stood waiting on the other side to welcome the gathering crowd of warriors in training. “This way.” One spoke and started down the marble roadway inside.

Spoiler: Through the Gates (click to show/hide)

You look around in wonder at the white stone buildings and finely carved landscape. Within the walls of the city almost no surface was untouched. Most of all that caught your attention was the behemoth amphitheater atop the highest level at the far end of the city.

Spoiler: Structures (click to show/hide)

That must be some kind of training arena the dwarves think to themselves

At the center of the city however was something strange. There was a magma pit, which wasn’t that out of the ordinary for a dwarven fortress, but built over it was a structure of steel that rose up several stories. At it’s peak were many swirling windmills, powering what who could guess.

Spoiler: Chamber (click to show/hide)

The seven dwarves halted at the edge of the pit and turned around. “Welcome to Ineth Soloz, I can only guess that you have all come here for the same reason, to hone your fighting skills and seek renown?” The dwarves nod. “Then you have found what you are looking for. I must warn you though, our training methods are not what you may be expecting or accustomed to, and that’s where the Phoenix Chamber comes in.” The dwarf turned and motioned to the steel structure over the magma pit. “This is the heart of our city and a gift from Armok. You see, we believe that true dwarf warriors can only become real champions by fighting to the death and holding nothing back. I will save you the full story for another time, but in essence, those who bath in the fires of the Phoenix be you alive or dead will have life returned to you.”

Skepticism spread through the crowd of dwarves and a few stormed off in anger, spouting that this was nothing but a crazy cult of some kind. “I know some of you still have doubts, so I will demonstrate the gift Armok has given us for you.” The dwarf motioned to one of the other dwarves who pulled a lever on the steel walkway. Three stone blocks at the base of the structure rumbled and withdrew to reveal an entrance. The dwarf walked down the steel walkway and inside. The lever was pulled again to seal the entrance. Pulling another lever, gears came alive within and magma could be seen being drawn up inside from the pit. Several dwarves gasped aloud as heated smoke could be seen escaping from the top.

The lever was pulled a second time and slowing the grinding and clicking came to a halt. The stone blocks rumbled open once more and steam poured out. Many dwarves turned their heads or covered their eyes, expecting to see the charred remains of the dwarf inside, but that wasn’t the case. Out of what seemed to be scalding steam came the dwarf, completely naked and unharmed. The clothes had been incinerated off his body but the searing heat of the magma didn’t leave a mark. One of the other six dwarves handed him a cloak, which he promptly wrapped around him. “You will find your rooms readied for you in there” He told the dwarves and pointed to the white stone building with a long rooftop. “I suggest you get lots of sleep, it’s going to be a busy morning.”
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:15:38 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:41:35 pm »

Introduction

Back story aside, I’ve spent weeks making this city fortress with somewhat cheaty dwarves to hold dwarven deathmatches. There are dozens of ‘blank’ dwarves that by use of Dwarf Companion have been stripped of all their stats and by use of the Phoenix chamber been stripped of all their clothes (slight defense bonus I wanted to get rid of). You have 500☼ to buy what armour and weaponry you want for your dwarf from the item tables in the Information post below. Using Dwarf Companion I will pit your dwarves against each other in the amphitheater and bring the loser back from the dead to fight another day. By winning fights you earn ☼ to buy better equipment and climb ranks to become the WoA Champion.

If you want to keep your equipment choices hidden from the other competitors you can pm me with the Subject title ‘WoA: Your dwarfs name’. Though your initial choice of equipment will be unknown, they will be revealed in each of your fights via screenshots.

Either way you can use this to request a dwarf:

Name:
Armour:
Fighting style/mindset: (optional, but will prove useful when calling the fights)

You must have at least one weapon and one piece of armour (shields included) and all your choices must add up to no more then 500☼. Any leftover ☼ it will be put into your ‘coffer’. The weapon/armour tables and their prices are in the next post. Information on your dwarf will be kept on the 5th post.

PLEASE, for my sanities sake, keep a list of your equipment somewhere where you can find it. I will be keeping a file with everyone’s information but I don’t want to have to remind anyone what they have.

Notes:
-You can sell back any equipment you buy for half its face value.
-You can have two of the same weapons at the same time, but you don't use them both at the same time. You can only use one, the other serves as a backup if you lose your first weapon during the fight.
-The cost of equipment is the same as in Dwarf Fortress, with weapons as an exception. I did many test fights and I found that weapons were WAY too overpowered at their normal value so I boosted them to that of greaves.
-You can wear caps under helms.
-You can wear chain mail under plate mail.
-This is going to take a lot of micromanagement on my part, so to lighten the load I’ve modded dwarves to not eat or drink. I have hundreds upon hundreds of pre-made armour and weaponry so the only thing I need to do in-game is equip the dwarves and make them fight.

Tips:
-I’ve done many tests fights and no single weapon has a significant advantage over the others. Variety would be nice and will be helpful in adding weapon-specific championships (Hammerdwarf Champion, Speardwarf Champion).
-Quality means MUCH more then metal-type, damage-wise and cost-wise.
-You may specify if you want a certain gauntlet to be on your weapon hand or shield hand.
-Heavy equipment can really slow down an unskilled dwarf.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 12:49:41 am by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:41:59 pm »

WoA Information

Spoiler: Combat System (click to show/hide)

Weapon and Armour tables:

Standard: (S)
Well Crafted: (-)
Finely Crafted: (+)
Superior Quality: (*)
Exceptional: (≡)
Masterful: (☼)

Spoiler: Copper (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Bronze (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Iron (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Steel (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Adamantine (click to show/hide)

*crossbows may be used for ranged events in the future, but not right now. Bolts would be a one-time buy and you’d get 25 bolts for each fight. We don’t know how powerful obsidian short swords are, but many think they are like steel short swords. They are grouped with the steel equipment and will cost the same as steel weapons.

A map of The City of Worship here.

A tour of The City of Worship in 3Dwarf:
Spoiler: Entrance (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Phoenix Chamber (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resident Building (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Warriors Lodge (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Temple (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Phoenix Mansion (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Amphitheater (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Arial Shots (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:58:36 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:42:24 pm »

The Warriors of Armok

Warriors of Armok Champion

Nichaey (nichaey)
Spoiler: Information (click to show/hide)

Swordsdwarf Champion

Fireheart (thunderclan)

Axedwarf Champion

Nichaey (nichaey)

3rd Degree Warriors:

Rysith (Rysith)

2nd Degree Warriors:

Vulcar Litastdural (Keldor)

ToonyMan (ToonyMan)

Nanothnir Shedimabod (Neyvn)

Flint (Flintus10)

Urist McHammerdwarf (kenken244)

Urist McUrist (abculatter_2)

Kesham Machinegreen (Stakudomer)

1st Degree Warriors:

Diego "The Smasha" (SanDiego)

Barbaros "The Destroyer" (Barbarossa the Seal God)

Led Warleach (filiusenox)

Remalle Amudakith (Remalle)

Labs (Labs)

Ravus Maniacus (RavingManiac)

Kadol "The Bloody Ruby" Palehearth (Solifuge)

Samus (Samus1111111)

Toram (Jervous)

Kol "The Lion" Ironaxe (CJ1145)

Unskilled Warriors:

None.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:07:17 pm by BloodBeard »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 01:50:26 pm »

Name: Barbaros the Destroyer
Fighting style/mindset: Go for the organs, finish the battle fast.

PS: Awesome idea, AMAZING fort.

Equipment List
*Bronze Spear (+)
*Copper Cap (≡)
*Copper Shield (S)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 11:01:45 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 01:57:23 pm »

Name: Necksnapper
Weapon: Bare fists Hammer
Armor: Standard quality copper chain mail, greaves, helm, pair of guantlets, pair of high boots, and exceptional quality copper shield.
Fighting style: Uhh, snap the neck. With a hammer.

Equipment list, will be updated as new equipment is gained.
Copper Chain Mail (120)
+Copper Shield+ (90)
Copper Greaves (60)
Copper Helm (30)
Copper Left Gauntlet (30)
Copper Right Guantlet (30)
Copper Right High Boot (30)
Copper Left High Boot (30)
Copper Hammer (60)

Total = 480
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:28:04 pm by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 02:00:30 pm »

he said you needed both weapons and armor. (one piece of each, at least)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 02:08:06 pm »

Name:Led Warleach
Armor:Copperchain.As well as a Iron sword.
Prefence:If they dont have no head they cant fight back.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:36:20 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 02:13:49 pm »

he said you needed both weapons and armor. (one piece of each, at least)

He does have a weapon. His dexterous hands on your neck.

I'll make the argument that I can willingly handicap my character as I please. Without a weapon, I doubt he'll last too long anyway.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 02:17:38 pm »

Sorry Jim, your dwarf needs a weapon. There may be wrestling matches in the future like crossbows, but not now.

And are you sure that's all you want filiusenox? Unless you forgot to list their quality, you won't win anything with that.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 02:26:06 pm »

Sorry Jim, your dwarf needs a weapon. There may be wrestling matches in the future like crossbows, but not now.

Awwwwwww, fine.

Necksnapper doesn't even need his fists to beat all y'all. He can do it with a hammer just fine. Bitches.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 03:08:07 pm »

Best.  Fort.  Ever.

Name:  Remalle Amudakith
Weapon:  -Bronze battle axe-, +Copper shield+ (390☼)*
Armour:  Copper cap, Copper chain mail, Copper chain leggings (170☼)
Fighting style/mindset:  They can't fight back if they can't move.  As such, prioritize removal of limbs and causing unconsciousness by pain.

Current equipment:
25☼
Battle axe (well-crafted bronze)
Shield (finely-crafted copper)*
Cap (standard copper)
Chain mail (standard copper)
Chain leggings (standard copper)

*the shield is listed as a weapon because it's held in the hand, as opposed to armour which is worn on the body.  That's just how I define them, I'll rearrange it if necessary.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:53:47 pm by Remalle »

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 03:59:18 pm »

No leather armor? If that's been an oversight, I'm going to want to change my choices...

Rysith
Exceptional copper shield (150)
Standard copper chainmail (120)
Standard copper chain leggings (30)
Standard copper cap (20)
Fine copper shortsword (180)

should be 500 exactly
Fast and light, the a warrior should emphasize speed and evasion over heavy armaments. The best defense is to not get hit, and not get tired in a prolonged fight. Let me know if leather armor is available, since I'll want to switch to that.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Keldor

• Bay Watcher
  • Blood for the blood god!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 04:20:21 pm »

Name:  Vulcar Litostdural
Weapon:  =Copper Warhammer=
Armor:  =Copper Shield=
(S)Copper Cap(S)
(S)Copper Helm(S)

Total=500

Fighting style/mindset:  73rd hammerer of Nist Akath, fled in disgrace after failing to kill a dwarf sentenced to 147 hammer strikes.  In her defense, that dwarf WAS none other than Captian Ironbood himself, who had failed to make 2 turtle shell miniforges for the newly arrived Queen (He did receive a yellow wound of his 4th finger, left hand, after the 82nd strike, but still!)

Vulcar perfers to maim her opponent to the point where they can't fight back, then spend a while practicing on them.  After all, practice makes perfect!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:22:23 pm by Keldor »
If ignorance is bliss, why are my dwarves all tantruming?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 36