Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who will win the final battle of Warriors of Armok, and how?

Fireheart (beheading)
- 5 (33.3%)
Fireheart (bisection)
- 1 (6.7%)
Fireheart (cleaving)
- 5 (33.3%)
Nichaey (beheading)
- 3 (20%)
Nichaey (bisection)
- 1 (6.7%)
Nichaey (cleaving)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [The Final Match: Fireheart vs. Nichaey]  (Read 107236 times)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [The Phoenix Opening: Round 1]
« Reply #150 on: July 09, 2009, 05:05:36 pm »

I've also thought of something that i'd like an opinion on. As you all know many of these fights have been determined by who gets the first hit in. I've tested this and if I give every single dwarf 1 skill point in their weapon skill, armour user, shield user and wrestler then the fights rely on equipment much more. It's possible that this could have effected the outcome of earlier fights, but it's too late for that. At the end of Round One I could do this to all the dwarves and i'd like to know if that's alright.

Hmm, that implies that there is something like "unskilled" underneath dabbling at 0xp, then. Interesting.

I'm all for moving the outcome of the fights towards skill and equipment over pure speed and luck.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 09, 2009, 06:45:37 pm »

How are you going to keep people skilled appropriately so they don't get all sorts of experience i the exhibition fights so they can come to the tourney's and kick ass?  Or is that where this rank business comes in? Rank 1 = Novice, Rank 2 = Regular, Rank 3 = Adept (etc).

Rank and experience wont be related. As for any future tournaments, if that's what you're talking about, they will probably only be done with dwarves of the same rank. This will likely be the only tournament in which all the dwarves take part, unless of course there was to be a final tournament which could happen when the new DF version comes out and a new DC (or something like it) comes out.

Rysith: I don't think so, dabbling is the same as having no skill as far as I know.

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 09, 2009, 08:45:15 pm »

Wouldn't no skill be where it isn't even listed though? I would think dabbling means they have some tiny bit of skill.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 09, 2009, 10:28:13 pm »

Dabbling means they have experience in the skill but I don't think it improves the skill. Level 1 is novice in DC which is what i'd give the dwarves.

The last two matches of round 1 should be up tomorrow. Maybe.  :)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 10, 2009, 09:06:24 pm »

More Blood must be SPILT!!!!
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 10, 2009, 10:53:31 pm »

The Phoenix Opening: Round 1

Match 7: ToonyMan Dwellingmirrors vs. Damug “The Berserker” Wounddune

Rith: Match 7 of The Phoenix Opening is being prepared and what a match-up it’s going to be. Two dwarves, nearly identical setups with only slight differences in weapon and chain mail. Either dwarf could take this one.

Stakud: This is the kind of match-up you might get in the quarter-finals so this is a real treat for a round one and our audience. I really think that both of these dwarves could do well in the next round but there are only do many spots and one of them needs to go. Will it be this dwarf? Entering the arena from the western doorway is ToonyMan Dwellingmirrors!

Spoiler: ToonyMan (click to show/hide)

Rith: Two dwarves have moved on with fabulous displays of brutality using the war hammer and will be the weapon of choice for ToonyMan here tonight. Though considered to be on the heavy armour side of things Toonyman still has plenty of maneuverability and shouldn’t slow him down.

Stakud: And here comes ToonyMan’s opponent, wielding a battle axe that would send shivers down the spine of an elephant, provided the elephant was alone and had crippled legs, it’s Damug “The Berserker” Wounddune!

Spoiler: Damug (click to show/hide)

Rith: Hmm... Damug seems to be slowed down a bit considering he has the same basic equipment as ToonyMan.

Stakud: I think it might be the battle axe, I hear tell that they are quite heavy compared to other weapons.

Rith: You learn something new everyday. Anyways, Damug has pretty much the same setup as Toonyman, only he was able to afford as slightly better chain mail in exchange for a cheaper weapon. Though they vastly differ in price, their overall efficiency as instruments of death aren’t that different. Some might say Damug’s axe is even better.

Stakud: I guess it pays to be market savvy. Whether this will play into the fight we will see, though I’m still not ready to make a prediction.

Rith: Neither am I, I think both dwarves are going to have to give it that extra effort if they’re to come out on top. The signal has been given and this match is underway!

Stakud: There they go, charging headlong at each other. And its ToonyMan with the first attack bug Damug evades it; they collide into each other and go tumbling to the ground together!

Rith: Getting up they are circling each other, waiting for the other to make the first move. There goes Damug with a slash of his axe to ToonyMan’s chest! That chain mail didn’t do much good as I can see it did some damage, but ToonyMan ignores the pain and blocks the second swing! ToonyMan takes aim but misses, Damug takes advantage of ToonyMan being off balance and gets in a slash to his left thigh, it doesn’t look too bad.

Stakud: Damug with a crazed look on his faces swings his axe wildly but ToonyMan gets his shield up in time! But look! With a well-aimed swing of his war hammer ToonyMan catches Damug in the hand and Damug has lost his axe!

Rith: That hand looks bad, but Damug isn’t giving up and is blocking all attacks by ToonyMan. What the, Damug, with his weapon lost has resorted to using his shield as a blunt club! While simultaneously blocking ToonyMan’s attack Damug is bashing him with his shield!

Stakud: That’s one way to use it, but these attacks seem to be more of an annoyance to ToonyMan. Damug has no way to effectively fight back but is still perfectly capable of defending himself.

Rith: ToonyMan, getting fed up with this is giving it all he’s got to get past that shield. He’s trying, but Damug isn’t letting him through. ToonyMan is going to need to try something else. That might work! Knowing that Damug can’t fight back Toonyman charges head first with no regard for his own safety and they both topple over.

Stakud: Ah ha! With Damug unable to successfully defend himself on the ground ToonyMan is going to work the only way one can with a war hammer, crushing limbs and crushing more limbs. Damug is completely helpless as ToonyMan hammers away. OH! With a devastating blow to Damug’s mid section his insides become his outsides and this is over.

Rith: ToonyMan is the victor here in match 7 and will move on to the quarter-finals. What a match! I think this is the closest fight we’ve ever had with ToonyMan being the first winner to take injuries. They aren’t severe enough that he needs to use the Phoenix Chamber but he will definitely need to rest up after that.

Stakud: I thought Damug had it when he got that slash to the chest of Toonyman but he fought back and got in that momentum changing hit to Damug’s hand.

Rith: You have to give credit to Damug as he didn’t let that stop him and went on to fight without a weapon for most of this match-up. I see good things for him but not in this tournament, ToonyMan is the winner and will move on to fight the winner of our next match. If you thought that this was a good match-up, wait until you see what we have coming up. The similarities in equipment are all too the same as Remalle takes on Rysith!

To see a video of the fight click here.

Spoiler: Comments (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 12:41:11 pm by BloodBeard »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 10, 2009, 10:54:14 pm »

The Phoenix Opening: Round 1

Match 8: Remalle Thunderwrath vs. Rysith Sunnytorch

Rith: It has been a long day but we have finally reached the last match-up of Round One. The light is fading and I’m sure these dwarves will want to get some rest soon so lets get right into it. Entering the arena now is Remalle Thunderwrath!

Spoiler: Remalle (click to show/hide)

Rith:  Change ToonyMan’s war hammer to a battle axe and that is exactly what Remalle is bringing to the game. The battle axe however as we learned last match is significantly heavier then other weapons so Remalle won’t be as fast as Rysith.

Stakud: Damug shared this disadvantage and he held up pretty well so who knows. We haven’t seen any swordsdwarves fight since this morning, I’m looking forward to seeing what Remalle’s opponent can do, it’s Rysith Sunnytorch!

Spoiler: Rysith (click to show/hide)

Stakud: Rysith, like Damug choose a cheaper but fairly good quality weapon in exchange for more protective equipment. I like Rysiths choice of equipment improvement better though, the shield is a vital part of a warrior’s arsenal and can protect you from all sorts of attacks rather then armour which will only protect the body part that is wearing it.

Rith: These two dwarves look anxious to get this thing going to there’s the signal! Both dwarves waste no time and hastily close the gap between them, who’s going to strike first and it’s Remalle, but Rysith nimbly evades and bull rushes Remalle and knocks him down! Rysith bring his sword down on a sprawled out Remalle but Remalle blocks and shoves Rysith away with his feet. Remalle is back on his feet and engages Rysith, Both dwarves attack ferociously but neither has gotten a hit in.

Stakud: These fine warriors are putting on quite the show and the crowd is going wild, but this isn’t just entertainment to these fighters, the need to block out everything around them and focus on not dying.

Rith: Don’t die, got it. OH! With a well aim strike to Remalle’s arm he has lost his shield, this isn’t good for young Thunderwrath. Remalle is trying to keep his distance now but Rysith charges forward and plows into him, they both fall down in a tangle of metal and hair.

Stakud: I think Remalle lost his axe in the collision, no wait he is bleeding from his other arm, Rysith must have gotten in another good hit. Remalle now has no shield and no weapon. His saving grace would be if he could wrestle his way out of this but it looks like both his arms are broken.

Rith: Completely defenseless Remalle is at the mercy of Rysith and his blade. A slice to the leg and it’ badly gashed, a hack to the arm and it’s… gone.

Stakud: Go! Go! Go! Aww! It almost made it to the stands…

Rith: Rysith follows up with a swinging slash to Remalle’s chest and the sheer force of the blow propels him backwards, this fight is over! Remalle is down for good and Rysith earns the final entry into the quarter-finals! What a magical moment this is.

Stakud: Screw this, I’m getting that arm.

Rith: Wait, where the hell are you going? Get back here we’re not done yet! Argh… idiot. Well, that’s it for today but there is still plenty to go. Join us next time when we kick off the quarter-finals with a fiery match-up between Fireheart and Diego “The Smasha”! Goodnight from Rith Rithdur and goodnight from Stakud Oslannicat who is now running around the arena floor with Remalle’s arm in his hand… I think I’ll stop off for a beer or two.

To see a video of the fight click here.

Spoiler: Comments (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Updated Brackets (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:24:56 pm by BloodBeard »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [The Phoenix Opening: Quarter-finals]
« Reply #157 on: July 10, 2009, 11:12:27 pm »

Do I have more money now? If not, then I challenge Necksnapper to a duel!

(I take it the losers just fight each other at random?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 10, 2009, 11:23:33 pm »

Do I have more money now? If not, then I challenge Necksnapper to a duel!

(I take it the losers just fight each other at random?

No more then when the tournament started and random yessir.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2009, 11:30:14 pm »

Okay, But can my random fight be against Necksnapper?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2009, 11:36:20 pm »

You can choose any fight between any two of those dwarves, so yes you could fight Neckbreaker, provided there isn't a more popular fight involving you or him... ;)

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 11, 2009, 12:00:50 am »

I don't suppose you've captured any animals, because I totally want to see someone try to wrestle a bear or two.
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 11, 2009, 12:23:37 am »

I don't suppose you've captured any animals, because I totally want to see someone try to wrestle a bear or two.
Shit mate I am down to gambling winnings on that shit...
Dwarf Vs Bear.
Pot = 400 (eg)
Dwarf fighting gets 30% of pot after the results are in...
Nothing if he loses...

5 bet, 80 each
3 on dwarf.
2 on bear.

Bear wins...
Fighter gets 0
Betters get 200 each

Dwarf wins...
Fighter gets 120
Betters get 93 each with remainder going to Fighter...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 11, 2009, 12:31:55 am »

A bear? Is that the best you can do? This is one of the most cheaty S.O.B. fortresses out there, I could turn a dwarf into a dragon and have all the dwarves try to kill it.

These kind of specialty matches are definately a possibility, but I would revert back to an old save after the fight. If there is one thing i'm trying to do is keep the dwarves on an even playing field within their own ranks.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 11, 2009, 12:39:23 am »

Defeating dragons to earn money? This must be done.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36