Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No!! Stupid Dwarf, I wanted you to do THAT instead....  (Read 1052 times)

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Coffee-Drinker
    • View Profile
No!! Stupid Dwarf, I wanted you to do THAT instead....
« on: February 22, 2007, 06:24:00 pm »

Are there any plans to include a way of prioritising mundane tasks?

What I mean is:
I want my Dwarven minions to collect and store ore and wood, rather than collecting and storing stone. At present, every task seems to carry the same weighting -- although stone-collection seems to have a higher weighting than any other task.

I'm not asking for (or even expecting) a Dwarf by Dwarf schedule of mundane tasks - just a way of telling the bearded little twerps that now is wood collection time rather than stone collection time

By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep
---last words of Cog Ingishontak, legendary Craftsdwarf

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: No!! Stupid Dwarf, I wanted you to do THAT instead....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »

In the orders, o, menu you can select to gather/ignore wood, minerals (ore and stone) and various others. I'd preper if ore and stone were separated on this menu however.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

I can get them to totally ignore stuff -- which is fine after a fashion. But what I'd really like is a way to tell them:
If there's some ore, take that, if not, then take wood, then take gems, then take stone... etc. Rather than run the risk of forgetting what I've set in the 'O' menu and berating the screen because they seem to be doing something stupid.
By the Beards of my Ancestors: There are Elephants inside the fortress. Seems like a good time to lie down right in front of them and... go to sleep

Rakoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 06:57:00 pm »

Prioritizing priorities.  That'd be fairly useful, actually...  Set wood/ore collection to be higher than mineral, but lower than furniture construction (Although building/shop construction is more important than any.)  As for a instance.

That'd be very handy, now that we get down to it - That way you'd never have idle dwarves and everyone might get paid something for at least hauling.

Momaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 11:22:00 pm »

Suggestion:
On "Jobs" list, add the command "Rush this job". The nearest dwarf that can do this job will select as their next task, regardless of the internal priority logic.

Suggestion:
On "Jobs" list, before you have access to the Manager, allow the setting of broad priorities: Food, Industry, Construction, Hauling. Dwarves looking for a new job will prefer jobs under whatever category you assign. Once you have the Manager, you can also choose up to 10 tasks to be given special preference, like "Wood hauling", "Seed planting", or "Brewing".

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 12:14:00 am »

Doesn't the manager allow for this?
''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 02:56:00 am »

If you set a priority it could possible starve other tasks like cooking or mining or whatever.

The idea with rush this or maybe better have the manager also manage haul jobs sounds better.

OverrideB1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 03:18:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Momaw:
<STRONG>Suggestion:
On "Jobs" list, add the command "Rush this job". The nearest dwarf that can do this job will select as their next task, regardless of the internal priority logic.

Suggestion:
On "Jobs" list, before you have access to the Manager, allow the setting of broad priorities: Food, Industry, Construction, Hauling. Dwarves looking for a new job will prefer jobs under whatever category you assign. Once you have the Manager, you can also choose up to 10 tasks to be given special preference, like "Wood hauling", "Seed planting", or "Brewing".</STRONG>

I really, really like the second idea - that's exactly what I was thinking

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 05:06:00 am »

Having rewritten much of the Hauling page on the wiki recently, I've been thinking about this problem too.  Based on how I keep tweaking all my dwarves' labor settings, I think all the Hauling labors could be jettisoned in place of just one ("Hauling"), with a separate menu where you could assign a priority to each type of hauling.  

This schema could probably be extended into a full job-prioritizing system (covering all tasks/labors, not just hauling).

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2007, 08:29:00 am »

Prioritizing job orders sound great. I would have it work across all jobs, then keep the current 'job task' page (switching tasks on/off)

On that note, the job task pane could be neatened up... only list active jobs, and then 'add' jobs to the list with a 'type to find job type' filter (a post for the UI improvement thread me thinks).

Valarauka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 04:40:00 am »

Job priorities would be VERY VERY useful; right now there's way too much micro involved if you want any kind of efficiency from your workers. However, the best solution imo is individual dwarf-centric, rather than having to do with the overall fortress job-list:

In the dwarves' labor menu (c-p-l) along with being able to turn professions on and off, have the list be arrangable like the workshop job lists are; so if you want a weaponsmith you'll just put "Weaponsmithing" at the top, then Armorsmithing, Metalcrafting, then everything else in whatever order.

How the jobs then work is simple: each dwarf checks the outstanding jobs list for one matching his top priority profession - if found, he gets to work on it; if not, he checks for the next priority jobtype, and so on down the list.

This way, all the work gets done, by the dwarves you want doing the work; but they can also do other stuff instead of sitting around idle (or having to be micromanaged). The simplest (and most useful) example: you can leave "item hauling" on for everyone at lowest priority, and they'll automatically haul when they have none of their real work to do (and ONLY then).

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: Valarauka ]

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 12:56:00 pm »

A priority labors list instead of selectable labors?  I think that would defeat the purpose of the idlers, and short of watching the units menu, how could you tell who's doing what they're supposed to?

Having just a haulers job that encompasses all of hauling doesn't sound like a great idea to me.  Then everyone would do one specific type of hauling, and I don't really think that's a great idea...  What if I WANT to have a few dwarves hauling stone while the rest haul food?

I think this thread has put together some good stuff in my mind, and so here's my contribution:

Change the labors list so that you can select which jobs they do(IE: How it is).  BUT!  When the labors are selected, they'll move to the top of the list.  Those that are selected can further be manipulated and moved to the top/bottom/middle of the list for priority's sake.  That way you can have a leatherer who will always butcher an animal only if the leathering AND tanning jobs are canceled.  Also, you won't have your legendary mason running out to pick up some dead body just to trampled by a herd of elephants.

It would also be nice if the jobs in workshops weren't cancelled when there aren't any ingredients left, but if they were suspended...

P.S.  This is my first post on the DF Forums!

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: Tylui ]

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: Tylui ]

Valarauka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

@Tylui: You basically just repeated exactly what I said...

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 07:58:49 pm »

Huh... Wow... I... DID say the exact same thing...  I didn't even notice.  ;D

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 08:45:32 pm »

We need job priorities!

Bleh!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: [1] 2