Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Revealing Waterfall/magmafall

(1/9) > >>

Slogo:
I'm interested in trying a construction project that works like the following and I was wondering if anyone else has done something like this.

Essentially what I want is the entrance of the fortress to be controlled by a bridge (probably a few Z levels down). On each side of the bridge will be pressure plates set to work for dwarves. Above the bridge will be a channel of water (or magma) with a screw pump at the end over the bridge. When the pump is active it will pump water out of the channel on to the bridge. Below the bridge is a resivour/moat and a series of screw pumps that fill the upper channel again. The previously mentioned pressure plates, when stepped on by a dwarf, will stop the flow of the water/magma either by a floodgate, disabling the pump or some sort of other series of mechanics. But any goblins or other baddies trying to come in won't activate the plates and should get doused by magma/water when they try to cross the bridge.

Now there's some problems with my construction plan (other than siting and building the complex system). So I'm curious if anyone knows the asnwers to this...

-Will dwarves be willing to path across the bridge if magma is raining down on it (since they won't be smart enough to know that the flow will stop)?

-Will the magma clear off the bridge fast enough to allow them to pass?

-What would be the best way to ensure that the water/magma doesn't start flowing again too soon. I could use a floodgate but I'd be worried about multiple dwarves stepping on it and screwing up how it works. Otherwise I can just play around with how the screw pump works and the size of the bridge or something.

Albedo:

--- Quote from: Slogo on July 02, 2009, 04:15:42 pm ---On each side of the bridge will be pressure plates set to work for dwarves....
--- End quote ---

Flaw.  PP's (and placed traps) aren't triggered by dwarves or friendlies.

(nm - was thinking about pathing gobbos.)

Dwarves path at that moment - they don't predict what "might" happen.  (Gawdz, if they did they'd be paralyzed with fear and NEVER move!)  ;D

Slogo:
PP's have a setting to be triggered by civilians from my experiences in game and on the wiki.

Scarpa:
As far as the magma fall goes, I think you'll still have at least 1/7 Magma on the ground once the fall stops which will hurt the dwarves.

I like the idea though. I have a similar plan in my head based off the magma/water falls in "The Incredibles" where the fall is "split" to allow entrance.

AtomicPaperclip:
Don't you set whether they are tripped by fort members or not?

And I don't think that they will path through magma so you'll have to do some micromanagement if you want them to pass through there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version