Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Bay 12 Recorded Call/Podcast/Whatever: Interest level, personnel and format  (Read 43625 times)

Krano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

An interviewer is more than just a voice that reads off a set number of questions. A good host is able to comprehend what their guest is talking about and ask them to elaborate on the important points. A good sense of humor never hurts for keeping the conversation interesting and flowing. The only real way to gauge how well someone can do it is to have the interview and decide afterwards. A popularity contest to decide the host would be the worst possible method, but rotating the interviewer until a proper one is found might work.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In theory, it sounds good. However, I'm not much of a fan of podcasts, since I can read so much faster than interpreting someone's accent and speech pattern.

So: Would there be a transcription?
I have to do something while plotting my next move in DF.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile

An interviewer is more than just a voice that reads off a set number of questions. A good host is able to comprehend what their guest is talking about and ask them to elaborate on the important points. A good sense of humor never hurts for keeping the conversation interesting and flowing. The only real way to gauge how well someone can do it is to have the interview and decide afterwards. A popularity contest to decide the host would be the worst possible method, but rotating the interviewer until a proper one is found might work.

This. A thousand times this. So many times is the interviewer either a straightforward machine, or a fool who, like in the last interview interrupts constantly, goes off topic a lot, and is generally inexperienced. Background noise is also often distracting and detracts from the quality.

Also, as Krano said, humor is always a plus.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 12:07:53 pm by Im_Sparks »
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Sqee

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

I will definitively listen in again.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Ideally they'd be monthly or every few weeks, about 20 to 30 minutes in length.   The four hour one was kinda insane and I kept zoning out while trying to listen to it.

I'm sure someone would volunteer to transcribe them, too.

Angellus

I would like to apply to be the host in one of the shows.
I am sorry to say that I will not have time nor the skills for all of the technical aftermath, so we should find that fool perfect gentleman before starting anything.

I would also like to think about all the types of extra's (I once was co-host in a Dutch podcast of a friend of mine) that are possible.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm all for Toady talking about DF development more frequently and having an official B12 podcast, but I think there would be other interesting things to discuss in a DF podcast that Toady isn't that knowledgeable about, like mods, stories, videos and individual forts. (from the DF Map Archive)

I've been listening to some podcasts lately and the following rough example structure should be a good start for a DF podcast:

1. Latest things done by the hosts DF-wise, and maybe otherwise (Of course we want to hear everything The Toad has been up to, but the other hosts probably would need to be the same in each show and proficient comedians and DFers for listeners to be interested. There's lot of potential for laughs in this section if the hosts are sufficiently strange in their Dwarf Fort managing, Adventurer guidance and/or real life.)

2. News and discussions about DF. In the shows with Toady this would be mainly speaking about latest developments. In Toady-less shows there could be a certain topic (like siege-defences, or monuments) that the hosts would discuss and maybe recap the latest dev-log entries.

3. Questions from the listeners. Easy in the Toady-shows as these would make the rest of the podcast. Most likely rather short without him.

4. Listener contributions and links. Cool DF-things (fan-art, comics, maps etc.) people have made or found that the hosts could discuss and put links up wherever the podcast would be downloaded from. This would be great as there's amazing amounts of awesome in the DF Map Archive alone, but it's really hard to find by oneself.
       4b. Stories (or Jreengus Occurred or something.) Talk about ongoing or past Community Games and Stories. Also ThreeToe's stories.
       4c. Mod of the week/month

5. Ending. General info about the show and what's coming next week. Bumps towards the forums, downloads and things like that, though mentioning them might be better earlier in the show.

Of course every section would need a "clever" DF name and a jingle if possible.  :P

I think comments about this kind of DF show (and it's structure) are inside the shallow barriers Toady set on the discussion and might do some good, so bring them on.

I guess it would be possible to have two shows, one with Toady and one without every month, and I'd be thrilled to hear them. I'd also be willing to help with screening listener e-mails, finding interesting links or things like that. As I'm not a native English Speaker and I've never done a single line of anything podcast-like (except one longish TV appearance), I don't think I should appear on the show, though it would be interesting and cool to do that.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 09:46:43 am by LASD »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A map/movie/succession game/story of the month would be good, featuring forts like Boatmurdered, Nist Akath, and Copperblazes.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

A map/movie/succession game/story of the month would be good, featuring forts like Boatmurdered, Nist Akath, and Copperblazes.

If someone wants to handle submissions/sorting them out/dealing with people making content just to be selected, etc, and the interviewers go through the trouble of reading them and trying to make them interesting.   

I myself would prefer a more laid back type of interview with a few pre-submitted topics or questions, and just working through them in a normal conversation.   No need to make this a second job for anyone.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree with Capntastic.

I would much rather see a laid back interview, at least initially. If it eventually built up to something more expansive from interest in the community then that's cool, but it seems like most big projects that start out big peter out before they really get started.

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think a monthly update is good enough with the current rate that new (big) questions come up.

This. A big interview from time to time is awesome (I have listened to the ones you have done several times), but a podcast every month is too much. I just don't think there is that much to discuss, and I'm not interested in "Scamps life", a topic which some posters are suggesting.

Keep it to the written answers in the "Future of the Fortress" thread, and do a big interview every half year or so.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Keep it to the written answers in the "Future of the Fortress" thread, and do a big interview every half year or so.

Maybe an interview every four months, so there would be three big interviews in a year.

Then on New Years Eve we combine the three into one big file.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile

Maybe an interview every four months, so there would be three big interviews in a year.

Then on New Years Eve we combine the three into one big file.

This is a good idea.  :)

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I agree with everyone else. I liked every podcast I've heard, and I think hearing more would be a good thing.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

alphafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd love to have a Dwarfcast, but I think having one person doing the interview/host part would be better. This person would know all the previous shows and might be able to carry on with a previous topic. The planning and post-production could be done on the wiki, so still everyone gets a say on what gets in the show.
Urist cancels write signature: Interrupted by DF Release
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6