Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Bay 12 Recorded Call/Podcast/Whatever: Interest level, personnel and format  (Read 43639 times)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile

I'd love to have a Dwarfcast, but I think having one person doing the interview/host part would be better. This person would know all the previous shows and might be able to carry on with a previous topic. The planning and post-production could be done on the wiki, so still everyone gets a say on what gets in the show.

Eh. I'm not so sure about that. I think new people should be able to just pick up the podcasts, even if it's episode 11041832, and understand everything without having to go back to episode 19853. It would also help because of the growing fan-base, and the changing topics.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Personally, I'd like to hear Toady talk more about his game design philosophy and long term goals. That was always my favourite parts of the other podcasts. He has obviously thought a lot about the subject and it would give DF fans a chance to ask about things that doesn't fit in the "list of remaining items" thread. Like for instance, what his plans for adventure mode dialogue is for version one. Or ways you could make cities more different from each other.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com

Okay, so it seems like enough people are interested in this in some form to try it out.

I don't want to get into the issue of voting on hosts, at least not now.  We have a list of people, and they should probably all be able to participate in some way.

Regarding music, I wouldn't mind splicing my own crap in there, but I don't want to get into copyright infringement territory by including other music.

Regarding the frequency of the recordings, after the first one, it might be easier to see when the next one would be.  I'm not sure we'll know if once a month is too often before the second one comes up and it turns out badly, he he he.  If that happens, then we can have them less frequently.

I'm not sure what the ideal length is.  I can ramble on at length, but whether or not that's interesting to people is another matter.  The correct answer will probably fall out of the first few recordings, based on how much there is to be discussed.

Potential personnel list (NOTE: I changed the order a bit since a few of these people have asked me about this before, so this reflects the true order of requests):

Capntastic
Rainseeker
Ampersand
Im_Sparks
Angellus
LASD (off-mic prep stuff, to whatever extent that comes up)

Please let me know if I missed anyone.  Not everybody said precisely how they'd like to be involved, so I just have them as a potential hosts in the list.

Like I said before, I want to give everybody a chance to be involved here, in whatever capacity.  Clearly some people are going to be better hosts/editors/etc. than others, however that's quantified, but I don't have an easy way of knowing and doing formal interviews is essentially impossible without some weird work, so the first few recordings themselves might function in this way.  I dunno.

I'm ambivalent about how many hosts should be on at once.  It works either way, though in part that depends on what people want to hear, and if there's more than one, they'd need to work out how they want to handle questions and so on.  It seems Skype is pretty flexible with having people just pop on and off, so I imagine all kinds of weird permutations might end up occurring.

If it comes down to it, I have sound editing software that I can use to do basic things like edit and reduce noise and so on, but I don't have a lot of experience.  I don't want to ask Rainseeker to do all the editing if he doesn't end up in some of the shows, depending on how the distribution of hosting works out, unless he actually likes doing that sort of thing.  I also have no idea how to record a Skype call.  If Rainseeker's Adobe Audition works, that's cool, but I don't have a copy myself and if he's not on some of the calls, that wouldn't always work.

Do you guys want to work on trying out the first one at the end of the month?  I'm not sure how long it'll take to sort out various issues, but a tentative goal keeps things moving.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile

Okay, we've been talking about this a bit more.  Rainseeker has some of the software and editing stuffs, so we figured we have him on as a host/engineer guy, and we can let a few other people on too.  Who those people are will either settle down or not, depending on all of whatever.  I'm just to go right down the list.

So how many people do you want to try to have on?  Going down the list in order, do you want to start with Capn, Rainseeker, and I?  Is four a crowd, Ampersand?  Wait until the next one or come on now?  I'm up for anything format-wise (almost!), and I can either be involved in that discussion or you can set something up amongst yourselves.  If you haven't set up Skype yet, I found it was very easy to set up.  Let us know if you have any trouble.  Does July 30th work for people?  The time is up for grabs.  I'm generally awake from 10AM to 2AM US Pacific time these days.  The end of the month sounds good, if we end up doing them every month -- if they end up less frequent, the end of whatever month is still good.  That last day of the month is reserved for drawing up crayon art rewards and writing up the report and so on, though I can handle posting MP3s and any post-production I'm involved with at that time.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My two cents (Since is really seems like Toady is speaking to the people in the production)

It really depends on the format.

If they are just asking questions then so many arn't needed it will just seem like one of those school projects where people are put in groups for no other reason then to lower their marks because one person isn't pulling their weight. Just to clarify I mean that switching between multiple people for questions is redundant in my oppinion.

If there are multiple segments or discussions then there could be justification for multiple people. I guess you could split the type of questions into different formats.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile

I think this is a wonderful idea. Sure, it helps get information out, but I think that its best function is arousing interest and therefore donations.

I think a two-hour interview every two weeks would work.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think this is a wonderful idea. Sure, it helps get information out, but I think that its best function is arousing interest and therefore donations.

I think a two-hour interview every two weeks would work.

TWO HOURS!?!

How the world will they fill up that time?

Hmmmm

Production:
-Cue Five minute theme song emphasising how much more awsome Dwarf Fortress is then other games (Actually theme music wouldn't be so bad)
-Allow everyone in the production to state their names as well as Toady at the end
-Include some screen shots of Dwarf Fortress to fill up some time
-Someone should make a bad joke so the next half-hour should be filled with fighting
-Everyone stop talking

Done! Two hours

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update

Rainseeker, as pro engineer, tell us what we'll need to make this work.   I'm guessing Skype?

As for format, I'm more of a 'let's just chill for an hour or so and chat about the game, other games, whatever flows'.   Trying to plan ahead too much kinda takes the spontaneity and fun out of it.   Likewise, keeping the conversations between two or three people would be best, to limit people talking over each other.   I envision a fun and friendly casual campfire peptalk.

Edit:  July 30th works.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile

Yeah, we're trying Skype.  Rainseeker and I are currently trying to set up a recording test sometime over the next few days to see if the software actually works there, then we'll be set.  If Skype works for you then we should be in good overall shape.  I don't remember if he had specific thoughts on the format, but whatever you guys think of works for me.  Perhaps I should be more proactive in terms of the format, he he he.  If you want me to prep at all in advance for any given segment, I'm up for it as long as it isn't time-consuming.  If it's completely unscripted, I'm fine with that too -- you've seen how my spontaneous rambling goes, and that's likely what you'll get in that situation.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories

Rainseeker, as pro engineer, tell us what we'll need to make this work.   I'm guessing Skype?

As for format, I'm more of a 'let's just chill for an hour or so and chat about the game, other games, whatever flows'.   Trying to plan ahead too much kinda takes the spontaneity and fun out of it.   Likewise, keeping the conversations between two or three people would be best, to limit people talking over each other.   I envision a fun and friendly casual campfire peptalk.

Edit:  July 30th works.

I think we're on the same page here, it sounds really good.  Email me and we'll iron out details.  Make sure you download Skype if you don't have it.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm on the list!

Anyways, initial fanboy hype aside, I don't think the whole two hours every 2 weeks would be a good idea. People would really run out of things to talk about eventually.
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One hour every month is better in my mind anyhow as you could release it alongside the reports.

Besides I disagree with the 100% unplanned aspect. There needs to be some planning especially if your going to take other people's questions.

At least say that between... Here and here there will be random nonsense. Here toady can reveal something... and here we do player questions (possibly preapproved)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:50:44 pm by Neonivek »

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories

Good news everybody!  The test went well with Toady tonight, and I think phase one of technical hurdles, Skype communications,  is over.  Phase two is recording with Skype, and I think we have a good idea how to do that.  We have some time before our tentative due date, the (Edit: 30th.)  I have confidence we'll figure it out by then.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 06:14:22 pm by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(In a comical redneck voice)

HURF DURF, LOOKEE HERE FELLAS, THESE TWO BOYS GOT EMSELVES A "DATE"

WHOOP WHOOP!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I am guessing the first production won't have Questions from the players. (though since this is really to test the system it makes sense)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6