Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Burrows and pathfinding  (Read 4493 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows and pathfinding
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 05:21:23 pm »

Wait, so Toady doesn't just make everything work magically?  Ahh, and I thought I knew it all.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2009, 01:04:21 pm »

The current system DOES pathfind for fliers... but only if the destination is possible to be walked to.  Example:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Interesting. I didn't know that. But I suppose it makes sense - the connectivity map isn't needed for the A* search, of course.
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2009, 02:57:55 pm »

Hmmm, I rememeber in the 2d version nothing could move diagonal, why is that?  Different pathfinding thing?

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009, 10:38:07 am »

The question is then... Can you find a way to 'know' you have to go through C that is more efficient to track than just A* every time?

OK, so now I've spent a couple weeks on developing a theory for pathfinding using Trivially Connected Zones and auto-generated gateways. I've written a 16 page paper in TeX on it too... and an implementation. In Matlab :)
Now, I don't know the first thing about modding DF, but I guess the pathfinding is not something that we have access to, right? I'd so like to try it out in a field trial. And I'm assuming Toady doesn't have time to look at that sort of thing?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009, 10:43:21 am »

That is correct, although the 3d fort imagers are extracting map details, so you should be able to run some time trials versus straight A*(not DF's version) if you wanted to.

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009, 12:29:27 pm »

Any idea how it's done?
Pages: 1 2 [3]