Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating LAN network to update DF saves on two computers?  (Read 1371 times)

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
Creating LAN network to update DF saves on two computers?
« on: July 31, 2009, 04:27:28 pm »

I just had this interesting idea for a project and wondered if other people had thought of this or maybe tried it.  I was thinking of networking my Linux computer to my Windows computer with a server between the two, when I played Dwarf Fortress on one of them and hit the [Esc] > save game, it would save the game to the server where the data is stored, then when I was using my other computer and wanted to play I could just open that directory and get to my fortress that I was recently playing. 

This way I could keep the one game constantly updated rather than having to move the game around on a thumb drive, or having multiple copies on each computer running different games.

Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating LAN network to update DF saves on two computers?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:30:51 pm »

Why not just run a network share and map the drive?

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 04:54:49 pm »

Hmm, I thought a bit about that I suppose it would be a lot easier and wouldn't require setting up a physical server.

I'll look into samba then.  Also, good response.
Sweet mother of God! I just arrived in adventure mode and the sturgeon is still spitting out bits of dwarf!

Valdemar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 05:52:00 pm »

I recommend Dropbox for syncing files between computers. You can just put your entire DF installation into your Dropbox folder (you get 2GB space for free), and whenever anything changes on one computer, it will push the changes to the Dropbox server, and all other computers you've installed Dropbox on will automatically update. It can also restore deleted files, and has full version control of every file in it.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 06:06:10 pm »

Personally I just play DF from a USBstick.
used to use a USB-HDD, but this is so much more portable, cheaper and less fragile.

Above advice is good though. could also set up networkdrive.
or write a batchfile to run on startup that overwrites older files on both drives/savedirs.

Playing synced on 2 pcs you'll always have a backup though. better if you run the batch manually in that case.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 09:00:11 pm »

I tried to play dwarf fortress on my flash voyager usb stick and it royally corrupted it into the stone age.

A VPN between two friends would be a cool way to play the fort without having to physically swap hardware.

Coilgunner

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Over 9000!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 08:13:29 am »

Cool! I have lots of new things to try out.  Thanks for everyone who posted.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 12:18:22 pm »

If you want to make the saving process somewhat more autonomous for you needs, you could:
  • write a script that would check every 15secs whether a new save-file has appeared or not. And if so, you move the latest local save-file to your shared folder. (cron?)
  • hook your own shared library to DF's executable which:
    • does something similar as above
    • moves the save-file only when the user quit DF
    • figure out how you can move the save-file only RIGHT after the new save-file has been made (check for "Saving..." string?)