Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: You want a waterfall? I'll give you a waterfall.  (Read 28566 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You want a waterfall? I'll give you a waterfall.
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2009, 04:42:09 pm »

The reason is that, well, Toady changes things in the code between versions, making things that worked with the previous version not work in the new version.

Oh, Well that makes more sense.
THP∆CROSSISM
Θπ∆┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2009, 06:08:56 am »

Dang it... Could somebody tell me if there's an easier way of inputting all those values besides manually scrolling down the incredibly massive list inside the game itself? Or does somebody have the save file? (Can't find it >_<)
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2009, 07:09:37 am »

Very nice :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I came.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2009, 08:09:34 am »

I came.

We came, we saw, We KICKED HIS ASS!
THP∆CROSSISM
KHDownloads

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2009, 08:10:58 am »

I came.

My fort has a series of bridges running across the gap at varying heights, and a long meeting hall with fortifications to see out onto the lake as they eat. It looks amazing in Visual Fort.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2009, 08:12:40 am »

Then show.
THP∆CROSSISM
KHDownloads

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2009, 08:22:20 am »

Then show.
I'm not at my computer right now (I'm using my laptop), so I'll post some pictures tomorrow ^^
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2009, 11:26:24 am »

Dang it... Could somebody tell me if there's an easier way of inputting all those values besides manually scrolling down the incredibly massive list inside the game itself? Or does somebody have the save file? (Can't find it >_<)
data/init/world_gen.txt
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

M.R. Siegal

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of sarcasm
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 05, 2009, 10:53:47 pm »

Sorry for this bit of thread necromancy, I realize it's hardly an auspicious thing to do with my first post on this forum.  But I wanted to post some images of the megaproject I used this map for.

So my fortress in this location is called Constructtargets.  Entering the area, you find a road and a couple statues.

In fact, the entire road leading to the fortress entrance and surrounding the trade depot at the end is lined with microcline statues (not that impressive I admit, but I liked the way it looked in the visualizer)

Nearing the top of the waterfall you'll notice the top of a large construction poking out of the gorge ahead.

At the edge of the cliff, you see this:

It's hard to get a full visual of what exactly the construction is, so you enter the fortress.  I don't have pictures of this, but the fortress entrance is a winding path down the side of the cliff that eventually connects to a bridge.  The fortress entrance is behind the waterfall.  I shamelessly stole the execution of the entrance from this thread, using two bridges for the entrance.  One to block the falling water, another below the first to allow foot traffic.  There are some other aspects of the internal workings of the fortress I won't bother going into.  Everyone's fortress is different.  But a couple holes in the side of cliff open up to the outside.

There is an entrance into the construction.  Going inside you find a cavern with terraced sides and some statues placed on the floor.  A single staircase runs vertically.

Taking the staircase below the floor, you see just how far down the construction goes.

This is the Constructtargets Gem.

I'm not sure how to properly fiddle with the visualizer to show it, but the gem is composed entirely out of clear glass (except for the four statues which are crystal glass).  The peripheral "setting" is made of 159 native gold blocks.  The gem itself spans 39 Z-levels and is made of 4460 clear glass blocks.  I'd like to think what is lacks in complexity, it makes up for in sheer stupidity.  That is a large amount of clear glass blocks to make without magma (or at least I didn't find any).  I did it entirely burning trees for ash and charcoal.  When faced with the massive gorge of the map, the first thing that came to my mind was to make something large and hanging, the large open space with natural walls suggests something suspended.  I initially thought to make the fortress itself suspended, but then I thought:  instead of making a simple rock fortress suspended in the gorge, make something more interesting to look at, something made of glass.  But then I thought, instead of a glass fortress, what about just a gigantic glass gem.  It would require a massive amount of work, require huge amounts of manpower and have no purpose whatsoever.  Sounds like a megaproject to me.

So there we are, thanks for allowing me to share.  I'm done with this fortress now.  I have an idea for another megaproject and require a different map.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 05, 2009, 11:05:45 pm »

Shoulda filled it with water.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2009, 01:09:22 am »

Ahahahaha. I should make a giant Hippo made of clear glass...with wings...MY HIPPO GODS SHALL REIGN SUPREME!
THP∆CROSSISM
KHDownloads

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2009, 01:31:45 am »

Ahahahaha. I should make a giant Hippo made of clear glass...with wings...MY HIPPO GODS SHALL REIGN SUPREME!
Not on worm gods watch!
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2009, 01:52:04 am »

Go ahead and try to beat this:
THP∆CROSSISM
KHDownloads

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2009, 01:55:18 am »

Go ahead and try to beat this...

Well, for one thing, it's 'godliness'... :P

JmzLost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:23 am »

[CLUSTER_NUMBER:11:11]

'cuz it's always better to turn it up to 11 ;D

Although with litters of 5k, they'll kill any fortress after the first year, without even attacking.

JMZ
Also, obviously, magma avalanches and tsunamis weren't exactly a contingency covered in the mission briefing.
I can assure you that Ardentdikes is not the first fortress to be flooded with magma. What's unusual is that we actually meant to flood it with magma.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11