Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20

Author Topic: UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finder (Post ideas and requests for the next release)  (Read 51430 times)

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress UltraFinder (World Generation Script)(W.I.P)
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 07:52:34 pm »

No no. The idea is that you set your world parameters, and this just spams random seeds until it strikes gold. You must have seeds set to "Random" in your world gen perameters and not "Yes" otherwise it defeates the purpose of this program.

It's purely meant to take the frustration out of having to constantly generate worlds till you find what you are after. What I was saying before, is that setting up the variance and such into a custom template could increase the chances of hitting a winner.

Besides, this isn't meant for my benefit in any way other than a small programming project to keep me entertained in my down time. I'm just putting out a tool that I hope others can gain from. I couldn't give two hoots about claiming credit etc.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 09:29:49 pm by GFXiNXS »
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 09:29:47 pm »

But isn't it supposed to generate til it gets it right? Otherwise, why not just generate them yourself?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 09:42:49 pm »

Well, say you are a pedantic bastard like myself, and you *really* want a location that has nigh on everything. And say, aside from being a pedantic bastard, you, like me, also have a short attention span when it comes to repetative tasks like, say, generating a world, searching for your desired site, coming up empty handed, and then repeating the process: pressing the same keys each time, watching the same screens go past, and feeling that twitchy nerve in your right-most cornea growing ever more persistent.

This is designed to counter exactly that. It just takes the task out of your hands, lets you have a cup of coffee, a bottle of whiskey, or a malformed culmination of the two, whilst your otherwise-would-be-idle computer is persistently scanning for your desired location.

Dwarf fortress is an untameable beast when it comes to world gen. Sure, you can reign it in and guide it around a little, but in the end, it is still free to act of its own volition.

In the end, a little luck is what it really takes to get that perfect spot. This program simply punches luck in the face with a big ol' fist full of I'm-not-going-to-stop-throwing-spam-in-your-face-until-you-give-up-the-goods.

tldr: UltraFinder is not the cure to cancer.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 07:54:45 am »

I just downloaded this and it looks great

I just had a question. When you run Ultrafinder when DF is on the main menu, what is supposed to happen on the screen? For me it automatically selects design new world wit parameters, then goes to the screen where you can select the size of you world and it just sits there.... Is this supposed to happen? Ultrafinder is still running according to the taskbar, but nothing is happening on the screen.....

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 10:53:21 am »

Technically it should start genning a world within 50 milliseconds (not a whole lot). Have you tried running without DF open? If so, what happens then?

Does the "press F9 to continue" screen come up at all, or is the program bypassing that automatically? If it gets past the F9 screen there should be nothing barring it from taking off.

Also, in the UltraFinder_Init.txt, what number is your "World" set to? Anything greater than 5 will throw it off completely.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 11:42:13 am »

If I try to start it without DF open it says:

"Error: Failed attempt to launch program or document:
Action: <Dwarf Fortress.exe>
Params <>

The current tread will exit

Specifically: The system cannot find the file specified.

Line#
--->              004: Run,Dwarf Fortress.exe"

The first time I try it the "press F9 to continue" screen appears, but nothing happens after that. I then pressed F9 and nothing happened still, so I stopped Ultrafinder, went back to the main menu and restarted it. This time it completely by-passed the F9 screen.

My "World" is set to 0 and I made sure to put Yes instead of YES

also, I'm using 40d11 if that makes a differance

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 12:02:39 pm »

Is this supposed to gen multiple worlds, or just go through world gen once and kill off all the non-optimum worlds?
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 05:53:20 pm »

If I try to start it without DF open it says:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-snip-
My "World" is set to 0 and I made sure to put Yes instead of YES
-snip-

First thing first. That basically means it's having a hard time finding "Dwarf Fortress.exe". If your executeable is titled anything but that, it won't know what program to run. Also, is UltraFinder and its init in the main directory?

Second thing second. With world 0, it should jump past the world screen in a flash.

Try increasing the key delay. The program might be pumping out key presses faster than your setup can handle. Also try setting  it to a different world number and see if that gives you any luck.

I apologise for the troubles. This all helps me weed out problems though, so I'm appreciative. I may put some placeholder delays in after the screen change detection. This may help as the otherwise instant response might just be cutting it too close.

Is this supposed to gen multiple worlds, or just go through world gen once and kill off all the non-optimum worlds?

As of current, this generates a world, if it doesn't find what its after, it generates another and another and another x9 then clears the directory and starts over.

Basically this thing will run indefinately until it finds what it is after.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 06:53:32 pm »

ok, just to clarify, what is the main directory? I have many different copies of DF on my desktop, each of which has a different mod installed. The copy that I am trying to use Ultrafinder on has orcs, ender goblins, and the molten rocks mod installed. I double click this folder and I see all the folders (data, raw, sdl, UltraFinderV2).

I increased the key delay to 200 and changed the world to 1, but it still stalls at the F9 screen and then when I press F9, stop Ultrafinder, go back to the main menu and restart it, it stalls at the world screen.

And I understand that this is to be expected and I am not worried about any troubles, so don't concern yourself. :)

EDIT: quick question: in the readme, what does it mean when it says that DF can't be wider than 80 tiles?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:01:32 pm by Samus1111111 »

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 07:33:27 pm »

Main directory being that the UltraFinder.exe and UltraFinder_Init.txt must be in the same folder as Dwarf Fortress.exe.

This needs to be the case since UltraFinder reads directly into /data/init/init.txt to get all your tile specifications and so forth so it knows how to interperate what is happening on screen.

As for the no larger than 80 tiles wide, that basically means in your Dwarf Fortress Init.txt file (data/init/init.txt) the [GRID:80:25] is what you are looking at. The value on the left must be no larger than 80.

And just another warning. I know I put it everywhere, but be sure to clear your region folder and back them up to another directory. This program will clear out that folder as it is running a search and you will lose any data in there. I'm thinking the newer version of this should have a warning prompt pop up the first time you run the application.

Edit: Also, the number of questions being asked hints that I should include a more tangible ReadMe file ::)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:59:58 pm by GFXiNXS »

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 08:06:02 pm »

*slaps head*

I put the everything (folder and all) in the main directory.

I would suggest just clarifying the fact that you need to take the stuff out of the folder and put all the files into the same folder as Dwarf Fortress.exe

Thanks for all the help and I look forward to updates for this

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 08:23:00 pm »

This is designed to counter exactly that. It just takes the task out of your hands, lets you have a cup of coffee, a bottle of whiskey, or a malformed culmination of the two, whilst your otherwise-would-be-idle computer is persistently scanning for your desired location.
Wiskoffee!
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 11:30:53 pm »

When I try to run this is generates the world then stalls after the world is finished (Enter: Accept a: Abort p: Export etc. on bottom, map and info on top) and goes no further.  It is as if the script is not able to tell that the world has finished genning.  I am using the mayday graphics pack  and a modified color scheme if that helps.

A little update... I set DF to use the default tileset and colors and the script still proceeds no further then instigating the first world generation and then goes no further.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 11:50:38 pm by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 12:41:01 am »

Yeah, it sounds like you may have black space on, and that your grid width may be wider than 80 tiles. If this isn't the case, could you put your init into spoiler tags? It would be of great help :)

This would have the program scanning the wrong section of the screen. The scans before that are fairly generalized, but that one is quite specific.

In the upcoming version, I'll try and broaden these as much as possible to overcome these problems.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 09:06:04 am »

black space is off, graphics off, 640x300 window, 80x25 grid.  So no, I am not running a larger grid or anything.  I am not at home so cannot paste my init file however, sorry.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 20