Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mysterious vanishing blocks  (Read 1890 times)

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mysterious vanishing blocks
« on: February 05, 2010, 04:19:39 pm »

So construction was proceeding on my megaproject, everything was going fine, when suddenly:

Urist McBlacksmith cancels Construct building: Job item lost or destroyed   x umpteen.

And half of the floors I've set up to be built just vanish. And when I go to redesignate them, the blocks aren't there to do it. Around 150 golden blocks have just vanished, which is incredibly irritating as I'm starting to run out of gold. What happened?

Nlky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Mysterious vanishing blocks
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 05:21:32 pm »

Did you cut off access to where the blocks are stored?

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:45:01 pm »

No, not to my knowledge. With my fort layout, I can't imagine how I could have.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 05:59:42 pm »

Make sure your dwarves can actually path to where the blocks are.  It sounds like the path between where the blocks are and where the floors are being built was interrupted.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 06:36:35 pm »

Check your bars stocks (z->stocks->bars) and check to see if they still exist in your fort. If they do, then it has to be a pathing problem(or maybe you accidentally forbid them?)
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 07:07:06 pm »

My megaproject is an above-ground fortress made entirely of golden blocks. My stocks screen lists 6105 golden blocks currently - I have no idea whether those blocks still exist and finding them would be impossible.

Darkond2100

• Bay Watcher
  • Intrepid Groundhog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 12:42:52 am »

Hit TAB while in the z-menu. It'll show everything individually. Then you can track everything down that way.
your hoard, your dwarves, and your fortress.
I prefer Hoard, Horde, and Hovel...

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 08:06:50 am »

On the other hand, 6105 blocks. There's no way I'm trawling thorugh that many manually.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 09:48:41 am »

Page Down them? That works, right? I recall bars/blocks in use are shown in purple color and you can't zoom into them.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 12:42:56 pm »

I've found one definite way to have something like that happen: forbidding every single block of the type in question from the Stocks menu.  This is a good technique to get lazy-arse hauler Dwarves to stop lugging around blocks from workshop to stockpile and do some real work, but it also cancels any and all active jobs with those blocks.  Even if you just forbid and instantly unforbid doing this, all jobs still get canceled.  Again, great way to disrupt the haulers and speed up the mega-construction process a bit, but not good for existing build jobs.
Sanity is for the weak.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 07:54:52 pm »

That's not the problem either; I didn't forbid anything. Also, I don't have a problem with dwarves hauling instead of doing work - this megaproject has taught me masses about organisation, and I now have a dedicated hauler caste - all legendary pump operators! - who do all the hauling jobs, and hauling is disabled for everyone else.