Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: How have your dwarves surprised you today?  (Read 36195 times)

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
Re: How have your dwarves surprised you today?
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2009, 03:15:52 pm »

There was some funny moments though when my mayor kept running around and the goblin liason (yes you heard me right, goblin) kept following (both somehow escaped injury) with the bowgobs chasing and firing away and then chasing after they ran out of arrows/bolts. The funny part was when I activated my mayor to make her get inside, she chased those gobs.

Its like the bowgobs were like "KILL THE DWARF!" and then when she went at them "ACK! DWARF IS ATTACKING, RUN!". Neither the target nor the goblins got killed. It was more comedic than anything.

Another perfect moment for yakety sax.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 05, 2009, 03:25:13 pm »

It didn't last real long because I wanted to get the liason to safety, so once the mayor had reached a point after the long wall I had recently built, I undrafted her so that she and the liason would path inside.

It was pretty fun though and nobody important got killed.

Although on one note, I did lose my second philosopher (I sacrificed the first one to collapse a big slab of rock). I think he tried to give them a philosophy lession as he seemed to be heading towards the goblins right before he died.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2009, 04:26:23 pm »

One of my dwarves gave birth while sleeping, sharing a bed with her two daughters which were both also sleeping.  Without waking his mother or new sisters, the newborn boy deftly snuck out of bed and crawled all the way down the hallway of my living quarters, up the stairs, and was halfway down one of my main corridors before the mother finally caught up and nabbed him.

Where was he going?  The booze stockpile, of course.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:32:01 pm by KenboCalrissian »
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2009, 01:46:14 am »

a philosopher has arrived. In her personality...she "regards intellectual exercises as a waste of energy".

This is about as close as a dwarf comes to flipping off the player.

SquirrelWizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2009, 02:14:51 am »

my current philosopher is married or a lover with the hammerer of my fortress.
Balanced Wheels is just rolling along

A small sign posted at the far end of the catapult range.

"In ToolCrew Microline strikes you!"

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 06, 2010, 05:46:16 am »

So, embarked with nothing to try the challenge. No immigrants for two years, things go well- get anvil first caravan plus silver and fuel, letting me get the axe-path started, then get pick next year.

No migrants, but one marriage+child...

Grower gets her baby snatched, the snatcher is shown up on way out the bridge...I draft everyone to get the gobbo when he's about halfway to edge of map, and she just runs him down like lightning, getting there far ahead of others and kills him without pretrained skills or weapon, though he has the usual dagger.

Do not mess with mothers.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Bardum Idith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 06, 2010, 09:48:42 am »

I started to build a house over a lake as a hermit yesterday. Today the first migrants arrived, a fisherdwarf and two peasants with a child. So I drafted the adults, walled them in and they starved. After that I looked at the child's profile:

Vabôk Balimush had been ecstatic lately. She has lost a father to tragedy recently. She has lost a mother to tragedy recently. She has lost a friend to tragedy recently. She has been dehydrated lately. She slept in the dirt recently. She has complained of thirst lately. She has complained of the nasty water lately. She has complained of hunger lately. She has complained of the lack of chairs lately.
VS.
She has been satisfied at work lately. She talked with a friend lately. She has made a friend recently. She admired a fine door lately.

fine door > parents   ::)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 06, 2010, 10:57:19 am »

fine door > parents   ::)

Actually, I think it's more due to that "talked with a friend" and perhaps "made a friend" things. That's because I was under the impression, that those thoughts only showed up once even if they happened repeatedly, so for all you know, she could have talked like a dozen times with friends recently, all of them consoling her or whatever.

It's still ridiculous that they'd be able to console her to the point of being ecstatic even after the death of both parents, but perhaps she (or dwarves in general) is being depicted as a sociopath or something.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2010, 12:39:55 pm »

fine door > parents   ::)

Actually, I think it's more due to that "talked with a friend" and perhaps "made a friend" things. That's because I was under the impression, that those thoughts only showed up once even if they happened repeatedly, so for all you know, she could have talked like a dozen times with friends recently, all of them consoling her or whatever.

It's still ridiculous that they'd be able to console her to the point of being ecstatic even after the death of both parents, but perhaps she (or dwarves in general) is being depicted as a sociopath or something.
Yeah, that's it. Dwarven psychology is craziness; they'll balance out at pretty OK, because on the one hand their entire family got eaten by elephants, but on the other hand they just saw a really nice door. Not even their own door, inasmuch as dwarves are allowed to own anything aside from the shirt on their back, but a door belonging to some other dwarfs entirely whom they don't know.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2010, 01:06:23 pm »

On a side note, it warms my heart when I see a fine piece of engineering or craftsmanship, so getting a good thought from it might be all that ridiculous.

Also, mechanics-wise, I believe this situation of being ecstatic even after losing one's entire family is caused not by admiring doors, but as I said above, by talking to dwarves. That girl got consoled by probably a dozen (the numbers would depend on the previous poster's population and meeting hall design) dwarves right after her parents' death. While it's ridiculous that this made her go ecstatic, it would be reasonable if she ended up "fine" or "content" after a while.

Bardum Idith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 06, 2010, 02:29:50 pm »

Quote from: assimilateur
That girl got consoled by probably a dozen (the numbers would depend on the previous poster's population and meeting hall design) dwarves right after her parents' death.

I play a hermit challenge and killed the first wave of migrants (except this girl), so the total population was 2  ;D
Her only friend died with her parents.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 06, 2010, 02:45:27 pm »

Thus unless she did manage to talk to them a lot shortly before they died, I wouldn't know how that was possible. Simply admiring a door would never, at least if I understand the mechanics correctly, be enough to counter the death of parents and friends.

StrongAxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 06, 2010, 03:08:22 pm »

Dwarves building themselves between a floodgate and a grate, and later between a grate and a floodgate.

This didn't surprise me.

What surprised me is that my engineers actually linked up the levers fast enough to get the buggers out alive and sane.

Edit: One of them did die before he could actually get to water though ...

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:21:54 pm by StrongAxe »

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 06, 2010, 06:13:20 pm »

the economy was just activated in one of my forts. Whatever, I have 0 rent on so I don't have to deal with that nastiness.

after a while, I notice that one couple has a cabinet and a chest. They are the only ones with a cabinet and chest that aren't nobility. They appropriated it (both are legendary) and had them built all on their own. I didn't know they could even do that.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]