Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: How have your dwarves surprised you today?  (Read 36193 times)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How have your dwarves surprised you today?
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2009, 11:04:43 am »

I never know wood bolts could do that :/

You never knew wooden bolts could do what? Kill someone? Seems like you need to grow up and leave that happy fantasy world you're living in.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2009, 11:44:29 am »

Long story short: A soldier drowns, two squad leaders dead, and two civilian casualties. If that wasn't enough, a get a message shortly after telling me a hunter canceled the hunt due to dangerous terrain. She jumped into a pool hunting a wolf.
What the pool was doing hunting a wolf, we'll never know.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2009, 02:38:18 pm »

I once embarked with a horse and a camel pulling my wagon. A little more than a year after arriving, I see a message that the camel gave birth. This confused me, since as far as I knew this was the only camel on the map. Then I looked a little closer. The announcement had used the plural form. So I checked the unit list. There were FIVE baby camels.

(Upon later speculation it's possible that some elves came through with a male camel in a cage or something. I wasn't paying strict attention. The multiple birth was still pretty surprising.)

I guess this thread is about how your dwarves have surprised you, not your animals. So let's say the dwarves impregnated the camel.
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2009, 02:45:59 pm »

I've had the same happen with a Donkey + Horse on embark.

JNewt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2009, 04:10:30 pm »

I had a human liaison arrive, settle some agreements, then leave. Unfortunately, he chose to walk along the 3 tile-wide hallway at the same time the merchants left. Wow, they were going so fast that he never saw them coming. When he regained consciousness he had a broken leg and would pass out every few steps. After living in pain for a season, he was stricken by melancholy, then somehow he managed to get himself caught in a cage trap. I considered building his cage in my zoo, but decided to further the cause of dwarf-human relations, so I hooked up a lever and released him. He died shortly thereafter and I received a message: "A Human diplomat has left unhappy"

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2009, 04:20:47 pm »

You should have tamed him and taught him the dwarvish ways*.

*Taming a human involves giving them enough alcohol so that they don't remember they're human anymore.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2009, 05:04:13 pm »

Unfortunately, he chose to walk along the 3 tile-wide hallway at the same time the merchants left. Wow, they were going so fast that he never saw them coming.

Did you just tell us that you had a guy run over by a fucking wagon? Seems to me that you and me are playing very different versions of DF. Mine's 40d11 and yours seems to be something around 40dmakingshitup or 40dtryingtoohardtobefunny.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2009, 05:18:25 pm »

Marksdwarves shooting down like 10 or 15 z-levels on a troop of goblins that were bothering the masons up top.  The amazing bit is that anyone hit anything.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2009, 05:27:31 pm »

A possessed kid started and finished an artefact rock crown during a siege which saw the slaughter of 20 dwarves by the gobelins. Cursed fortress? Maybe...
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:44 pm »

I never know wood bolts could do that :/

You never knew wooden bolts could do what? Kill someone? Seems like you need to grow up and leave that happy fantasy world you're living in.
No, kill somone in one blow. Scince they are very innefective.
Hello Hunam

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2009, 12:05:20 am »

A fisher dwarf fished out the small ponds I allow my dwarves to go to. His next task? To capture a live fish. He ran down (it's about a 30 z-level flight of stairs), grabbed the animal trap, then his dwarven logic kicked in. "If I just fished all the fish and now I am supposed to capture a fish then..." The paradox froze him in place. Presumably he would have stayed frozen, afraid of doing anything, until the pond re-populated with fish.

Also my carpenter created an artifact bed called "ComplexCrowds". Uh.... I don't want to know.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2009, 02:15:00 am »

Unfortunately, he chose to walk along the 3 tile-wide hallway at the same time the merchants left. Wow, they were going so fast that he never saw them coming.

Did you just tell us that you had a guy run over by a fucking wagon? Seems to me that you and me are playing very different versions of DF. Mine's 40d11 and yours seems to be something around 40dmakingshitup or 40dtryingtoohardtobefunny.

No, wagons do run things over - I've had them discover and take care of kobold thieves in the same instant.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2009, 02:32:18 am »

They don't run people over wtf.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2009, 04:09:41 am »

No, kill somone in one blow. Scince they are very innefective.

That's where we disagree. Bolts are effective even with a 50% damage penalty.

They don't run people over wtf.

Exactly. If that was possible we'd be having accidents all the fucking time. Especially those of us (for example me) who use only 3-wide access corridors for their caravans.

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2009, 04:58:51 am »

During a siege, I noticed a stray sock sitting outdoors.  Heaven only knows how it got there and, frankly, I don't care!

The surprising thing was that there wasn't a mad rush by my haulers to do the hokey-pokey in the front door.   :o

Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13