Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Do you actually 'play' Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 3330 times)

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
Re: Do you actually 'play' Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 09:41:40 am »

once I killed every orc settlement with one adventurer, the last orc killed him :D

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 06:08:32 pm »

I try my best to keep my fortress going, eventually I want it to be invincible, have a full set of master crafted adamantium sets, and to the point were I've pretty much defeated any one that is in my way, or die. Than I intend on scrapping it and taking that adamant on my adventurer :p.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009, 12:58:57 am »

I like to start forts with the sole purpose of equipping my next adventurer.  I wish there was a way to build a "vault" that wouldn't be disturbed when you abandon.  I never get HFS, but I once managed to get lucky and build a whole set of exemplary steel plate armor with silver decorations depicting demons of some kind on each piece, with a demon in gold on the breastplate.  Abandoned, started up a dwarf adventurer, found the ruin packed with harpies and ogres and when I finally got one of my adventurers all the way down to the armory I couldn't find the good gear, just some other, less rad stuff scattered all over.

I did find a nice crossbow and about five hundred bone bolts, so I spent a few days camped out in the ruins, using the derelict archery range to get legendary.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2009, 01:07:49 am »

I usually start with the goal of "How does this biome work" or just "yay! Let's build up a fort!"

Right now though, I'm looking into building an orbital bombardment plan. This would involve pumping Magma up several levels, and I haven't done anything with mechanics yet . . .
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2009, 06:06:45 am »

In some ways, despite all the wonderful things in the new version, the 2D version was actually more fun to play.

I think it's only a matter of time for the current version, but the nice thing about the 2D version was that you had everything and it was nicely laid out.

Currently I only play with some project on my mind to do, although i've been enjoy the orc mode recently, it's shown me how bad I am at building armies quickly.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2009, 04:00:46 pm »

I play it pretty normally, I think. I don't really design my fortresses beforehand, there's always more digging space if something goes wrong, and having some sub-optimal design choices around gives the fort a nice organic feel. And if I have both an infinite water supply and a bottomless pit, I always build a sewer system eventually. I get bored eventually, and abandon the fort and maybe make an adventurer for a change.

Papa Cauldur

• Bay Watcher
  • Eater of Yatagarasu
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 05:47:36 pm »

I lay out basic plans for my forts, like "WOAHMYGOD GOLBINS." or "Kill the elven caravan with some pointlessly complex deathtrap" but other then that, I just try to have fun.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 06:47:12 pm »

A normal fortress where you attain wealth and keep your dwarves alive just seemed so boring to me after getting to the point where I could manage it.

That's pretty much what Lanternwebs has done, and that hardly seems boring to me. I'll agree with everyone that has said that there is a point where things become stable, and you stop worrying about food/invasions/magma/etc. and that it starts getting boring at that point, barring megaprojects and other such things. I'd say I play normally with goals, and try to make the difficulty in getting to that "stable" point as high and interesting as possible.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

LordZorintrhox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 09:18:57 pm »

I think the fact that two different modes of play exist in the same world is what makes the game infinitely replayable.  That and the random generation thing.  The more robust the game becomes, the more you can get bored of fortress mode and play an adventurer and get some face-to-face bloody, goblin slaying jollies.  Then some civil engineering, then back again.  Playing the same world from two different perspectives is what makes the game endless.  It just needs to be finished for all of it to shine through.

I myself am still honing my fortress skills, so fortress mode is still fun.  By the time I figure that out, adventure mode will probably have a lot more guts ( I assume it is a little lack-luster at the moment only because good RPGs need ALOT of development to sparkle, and a good chat engine).
...but their muscles would also end up looking like someone wrapped pink steel bridge-cables around a fire hydrant and then shrink-wrapped it in a bearskin.

HEY, you should try my Dwarfletter tileset...it's pretty.
I make games, too

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 11:37:38 pm »

I'm just freaking terrible at adventure mode.  Even when I kit out the guy with gear from my derelict fortresses, I wind up getting my throat torn out by a lamprey within an hour or so.  I wish there was a way to have the "random encounters" start a few second before the bear has me in its mouth, since spawning three feet from a pack of wolves makes my crossbow somewhat less useful.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 11:58:20 pm »

I'm just freaking terrible at adventure mode.  Even when I kit out the guy with gear from my derelict fortresses, I wind up getting my throat torn out by a lamprey within an hour or so.  I wish there was a way to have the "random encounters" start a few second before the bear has me in its mouth, since spawning three feet from a pack of wolves makes my crossbow somewhat less useful.

Artmoney is your friend. Also, drunks and companions.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!
Pages: 1 2 [3]