Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mayday and the keyboard layout.  (Read 847 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mayday and the keyboard layout.
« on: July 14, 2009, 09:05:40 am »

I downloaded the latest Mayday version and tried to play and noticed the keyboard layout has been changed from my usual german to english. ie. y and z are swapped around and a lot of the special characters are jumbled as well.

And then I noticed that I dont have the slightest clue where to look in the inis, the raws or whatever to change that behaviour. I COULD just alter the interface.txt, but that would be a sledgehammer solution, and when I copy it over to a version which doesnt change the layout it would be fcked up again.

So... any idea what causes this sudden change in behaviour? Is my DF just acting up because it's entering puberty?

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mayday and the keyboard layout.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 09:13:45 am »

I downloaded the latest Mayday version and tried to play and noticed the keyboard layout has been changed from my usual german to english. ie. y and z are swapped around and a lot of the special characters are jumbled as well.

And then I noticed that I dont have the slightest clue where to look in the inis, the raws or whatever to change that behaviour. I COULD just alter the interface.txt, but that would be a sledgehammer solution, and when I copy it over to a version which doesnt change the layout it would be fcked up again.

So... any idea what causes this sudden change in behaviour? Is my DF just acting up because it's entering puberty?

\data\init\interface.txt

Are you running Windows (and which version)? If so, it may have nothing to do with Mayday's release. Try running in Windowed mode and enable Language Bar, to see what keyboard layout is being used. In Vista it sometimes try to play smart and add keyboard layouts for you (e.g. it keeps adding phonetic Chinese input method which I don't use).

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:22:55 am »

I already looked at the interface.txt. I can only find specific key designations, and as I said, I'm not going around to change all the keys that get jumbled around due to layout change.

I'm on windows XP here, and all the keyboard layouts apart from the german one are disabled - oops - doublechecking revealed something has turned on the US layout as well  :o WTF, I hate it that programs can have that power. (I didnt even check for that yesterday when the problem reared it's ugly head, because I know I have all the other layouts turned off)

Yup, it seems whenever I start that mayday thing, the US layout gets added to the list and enabled. When I manually disable it, everything is in order again.

So why does this version turn on the US layout, but the former one doesnt? Don't tell me that's in the interface.txt, or rather, if it is, could you tell me, which line to look for?

And on top of that: drats, I should find out how to tell windows not to let anything change the layout.

edit: wasnt that layout thing actually a problem with 40d11 itself, and doesnt have all that much to do with the mayday pack - it's just the current version uses 40d11? Well, maybe:
- Various keyboard issues. Fixed, d14/d13-head
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 09:28:12 am by Puck »

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:34:13 am »

So XP automatically adds layout too? I have no idea how to stop it from doing that.

But by default there are shortcut keys to switch keyboard layouts - Shift-Alt. Ctrl-Shift toggles input method in a keyboard layout.

It is likely that you enabled it while playing DF, and Windows remembers the setting for you.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:38:55 am »

Nope, by now, I'm almost certain that's specific d11 behaviour. XP does that in rare cases, don't ask me what's triggering it.

If windows would remember it, it should re-remember german layout after that last test - and it doesnt.