130 - 139
- 58 (25.1%)
140 - 149
- 38 (16.5%)
+ 150
- 50 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: IQ of DF gamers?  (Read 18951 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: IQ of DF gamers?
« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2009, 11:29:43 am »

Hah! I love the post results. Just reinforces my opinion that 90% of DF players have a bloated ego.

Would you want to say you suck at everything?  No!  I wouldn't I'm the best.

*starts floating from awesomeness

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 10, 2009, 12:19:26 pm »

Well, seriously, though, I think DF players do have a higher IQ. Because looking at ASCII guys scurrying about indicates patterns. Pretty much two thirds of IQ tests are about pattern recognition.

It's definitely a significant part of it. The monthly Mensa magazine has a puzzle section at the back. Almost all of them are about spotting and completing patterns, with one or two based on obscure trivia.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2009, 07:23:18 pm »

You know, I know why everyone's so damn smart.

It's because that instead of looking at 3d models like all the idiots, we look at 2d pictures and symbols, and tell the symbols what to do and where to go!

That needs an IQ of 130+! No way an idiot could EVER play the game, EVER.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2009, 07:26:42 pm »

You know, I know why everyone's so damn smart.

It's because that instead of looking at 3d models like all the idiots, we look at 2d pictures and symbols, and tell the symbols what to do and where to go!

That needs an IQ of 130+! No way an idiot could EVER play the game, EVER.

Yes indeed.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 10, 2009, 10:55:37 pm »

Call me arrogant, self-serving, egocentric, etc. all you want.  My response is the same.  pucker up to a hairy cheek :p

I'm sitting at a 137 IQ, which I'm not particularly proud of.  Why?  Because it's just another statistic, and doesn't much matter when things get messy.

Yes, I have a bad attitude, which usually only flairs up when people get snide or look down on people around them... which happens a lot more online than real life, kinda funny huh? 

My point is this, if someone is going to lie about their IQ for a poll among a bunch of people they're most likely never going to see face to face, whose opinions of them are not going affect anything _real_...  then why attempt to attack their egos through the same medium?  The lie is just as pointless as trying to look down at them. 

Ya'll can believe me on my IQ, or not...  and the rest as well.  Or not.  Personally I don't particularly care now that I've spoken my piece against some of the arrogance I've seen displayed in this thread.

Although on another sidenote of my little rant.  I wouldn't be surprised if the IQ of most of the players of DF really is significantly above average.  It is a very involved game whose complexity would seem to appeal most to more intelligent people.  Just a thought that people really should take in the FULL picture before making accusations.
Demon of Darkness

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 10, 2009, 11:32:47 pm »

I'mm a 11 years old so don't critisize, I got 111(and I play Df, Sparks is wrong).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 11:34:19 pm by Megaman »
Hello Hunam

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2009, 01:40:46 am »

OK, you guys are too smart for me. I have no idea who's trolling and who's being serious now.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 11, 2009, 01:42:55 am »

I'mm a 11 years old so don't critisize, I got 111(and I play Df, Sparks is wrong).

Don't worry, the concept of sarcasm will come quick, young one.

Sit down and enjoy your nobles.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 11, 2009, 04:18:32 pm »

OK, you guys are too smart for me. I have no idea who's trolling and who's being serious now.

I never do. Seems like I always get it wrong no matter how hard I try, so I just treat everybody as if they're speaking seriously and telling the truth. It may make me look like a fool, but at least I'm not constantly second-guessing myself! :)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 11, 2009, 04:23:19 pm »

Doubt never wins against strong-will!

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 11, 2009, 04:35:59 pm »

I havn't bothered to read through the 12 pages, but you guys are aware that there's different ways of calculating IQ, right? It just strikes me, especially in this poll, because it'd be impossible to get more than 140 in the figure reasoning test I took a couple of years ago. According to that one, I'm in the best 1% of the population and it gave me a score of 135.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2009, 05:43:15 pm »

snow, your IQ is 150

Offline i scored 136 some years ago, if i recall correctly.

Of course this online test is rubbish, as it needs you to have knowledge of geography i.e., while your mental capacity is in no way linked to how much you know or dont about any given topic.

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2009, 05:56:11 pm »

snow, your IQ is 150

Offline i scored 136 some years ago, if i recall correctly.

Of course this online test is rubbish, as it needs you to have knowledge of geography i.e., while your mental capacity is in no way linked to how much you know or dont about any given topic.
That depends on which kind of test it is. A figure reasoning test doesn't require any knowledge at all, it measures how good you are at finding patterns. Of course you need to find a proper test to use.

Arathanar

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: mind-boggling awesomeness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2009, 07:26:42 pm »

*insert self-justification here*
Urist, you can't go there! The ground is PURPLE!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 11, 2009, 07:29:32 pm »

I personally always thought of how smart someone is being influenced by a few areas- now, I'm not trying to quantify the human mind, which seems like an impossible task, but...

Knowledge/Skill (a master mechanic might look like an idiot if you quiz them about videogames, so this depends on the subject- keep it out of IQ tests, in other words)

Logic/reasoning/patterns (dwarf fortress is one big logic puzzle)

Creativity (this might be a skill, I strongly believe that creativity can be exercised, it also ahs to do with recognizing when you have a good idea)

Wisdom (hardest to describe... if you are easily tricked or keep putting in the remote backwards, you still might be good at chess. Includes personal skills. Another example would be that if you often act without using your full cognitive capacity due to emotions, you are 'unwise')

Obviously, some of these are very hard to gauge in any form of traditional test.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14