130 - 139
- 58 (25.1%)
140 - 149
- 38 (16.5%)
+ 150
- 50 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: IQ of DF gamers?  (Read 18965 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: IQ of DF gamers?
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2009, 12:42:42 pm »

Worst. Bell curve.  Ever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Best. Slope. Ever.

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2009, 12:44:53 pm »

I'm not going to take that test.

4 years ago, I got a draft letter.

at the site:
Hearing and vision was tested first.
Then there was a IQ test, specifically designed so that it was impossible to fully complete in the 1 hour given.
I buggered them until they told me how well I did, (I was so scared that I had epicfailed it or something)  I... apprently... scored in the top1%

I raised my brow at him with a WTF kind of look on my face, but when I spoke with the other draft'es... I had so much trouble, (and still have trouble,) understanding why so many had problems with the questions off the test, the first 1/4 of it was ludicrously simple, and everyone should be capable of figuring it out... or so I thought.

And I now know why.

Have you heard of The Dunning-Kruger effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOHJa5Vj5Y

On a completely unrelated note, I found this in Youtubes souces code:

Code: [Select]
msg["koreaFail"]
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:46:43 pm by SniHjen »
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2009, 12:46:08 pm »

Give me 7 minutes.

EDIT:  Wow, I never knew that, hmmm.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:54:50 pm by ToonyMan »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2009, 01:02:09 pm »

The high IQ of DF players might come from its complexity. Those who think its too confusing usually leave in the first minute.

Its a stupidity filter!

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2009, 01:05:40 pm »

I agree with that, but many don't.  I don't know why.   ;D

Pandora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2009, 01:08:12 pm »

I think the stupidity filter theory is plausible.
But, there is a fairly high range of error on these internet tests. I took two tests in a row just now. on the first I got 133 and the second i got 147. seriously, i wouldn't be surprised if statistically that would all average out to about 130. I know I'm not that smart. :)
mmm... fresh Elf...

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2009, 01:11:52 pm »

Karlito : awesome graph. That made me happy.

I'm not contesting that the DF community would probably be smarter on average than a random sampling, but does anybody actually believe we're averaging over 130? Maybe even 140, depending on what all those "150+" people think they score? That's completely ridiculous.

Isn't is painfully obvious internet IQ tests inflate your score? This is so they become popular ("I scored 168! You try it!") and make money from adspace, and almost always so that they can try to sell you a certificate with your score for bragging rights. It's a really transparent ploy.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2009, 01:15:21 pm »

Isn't is painfully obvious internet IQ tests inflate your score? This is so they become popular ("I scored 168! You try it!") and make money from adspace, and almost always so that they can try to sell you a certificate with your score for bragging rights. It's a really transparent ploy.

Yes, but then the question is "How smart do you have to be to recognize their scheme?"
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Pandora

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 01:16:44 pm »

hahaha, yah. Hopefully the take home message today is DF gamers know not to 'buy the test score analysis' bit at the end.
mmm... fresh Elf...

SniHjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Hacenten
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 01:17:58 pm »

Yes, but then the question is "How smart do you have to be to recognize their scheme?"

Of Cause!

The test isn't the test itself, but is in realizing that the test is a sham!
That [Magma] is a bit deep down there, don't you think?
You really aren't thinking like a dwarf.

If you think it is down too far, you move it up until it reaches an acceptable elevation.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2009, 01:21:17 pm »

Unless it's trying to make itself look like a sham by making it not look like a sham!

PARANOIA.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 01:24:42 pm »

My understanding is that the 2400 point SAT is the old 1600 one with a 100% meaningless writing section tacked onto the end. I remember something about that being ignored by universities and such because "the scoring isn't properly calibrated yet" or something along those lines.

It's still used in case of an anomalously low score.  More people than you would think try to get into college with absolutely NO writing ability, and then crash and burn hardcore.  Speaking as a grader for a few intro engineering classes (okay, programming really), people who can't write to save their lives really shouldn't be in college until they improve...they drop out really, really fast.

I'd say that the writing section is the best indicator of actual ability, or at least it's the hardest thing to get inappropriately high scores on.  Anyone with very narrow training can do very good on math, and plenty of people can do very good on the reading kinda stuff without much true comprehension.  The writing part weeds out the people that -need- weeding out.

Of Cause!

The test isn't the test itself, but is in realizing that the test is a sham!

I've seen one that ACTUALLY DID THAT.  You entered your email address at the beginning...and it sent you your results ten minutes after you stopped submitting pages, where your score was solely based on how early you stopped playing.  I got up to somewhere around 34 pages, even after I realized that the questions seemed to be repetitive and randomly generated >.> I wonder what that says about me, but let's just say my results weren't triple-digit.

Another awesome one I saw...it logs the IP address you took the test from, and it gives you a special image URL to post your results, with a picture of a rabbit with one of those fancy graduation caps on his head along with the number you got (which I think was a minimum of 120+).  But it only shows that picture to your IP address.  Everyone else loads a different picture, rabbit in a dunce cap, score around 89...which meant that for a couple days, Livejournal was full of people with sub-100 IQs and posts saying "Wow, I didn't expect to do this well, I'm really surprised!"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:26:17 pm by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 01:28:35 pm »

Sowelu: Hah, those are awesome. Do you know where those sites are? And why did you take so many IQ tests?/

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2009, 01:42:02 pm »

I would like to direct everyone here to, oh, browse through the GameFAQs forums for a few minutes. Not to see any specific thing, but rather to see the rather obvious dichotomy between the ability of the posters there to string together coherent sentences compared to the posters here.
!!&!!

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2009, 01:42:42 pm »

Have you heard of The Dunning-Kruger effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyOHJa5Vj5Y

Wow, that explains a lot of human behavior I've found very mystifying.  But of course; if you're not competent at something, why would you be able to recognize that competence in others?

I wonder if that makes me competent, since I didn't recognize other people's incompetence at recognizing competence.  Hmmmmm.  Well, since I post on the DF boards, I must have at least a 150 IQ!   ;D

...which meant that for a couple days, Livejournal was full of people with sub-100 IQs and posts saying "Wow, I didn't expect to do this well, I'm really surprised!"

Lol!
You have struck Microcline!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14