130 - 139
- 58 (25.1%)
140 - 149
- 38 (16.5%)
+ 150
- 50 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 231

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: IQ of DF gamers?  (Read 18822 times)

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: IQ of DF gamers?
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2009, 05:29:08 am »

As per Im_Sparks test, I'm only sitting on 129. I can't remember the last time I haven't recieved that score in an IQ test.

21 Years old, Full Time Graphic artist (Currently running the department at a broadcast corporation). I'd be curious to know the profession of the average, employed DF player. How many engineers do you think we have running amock?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:35:53 am by GFXiNXS »
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2009, 05:32:32 am »

I don't know what my IQ is, but I like to think I'm knowledgeable enough to know that the online tests are usually bunk.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 06:04:13 am »

:-[

I voted the last score I remembered, 129. Then I looked at the SAT conversion chart, and bothered to do the quiz Im_Sparks posted, ending up with 137 and 139, respectively.

I had some more to say, but stopped caring halfway through writing it. That would be the number one reason I rarely post anywhere.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 06:11:27 am »

I'd be curious to know the profession of the average, employed DF player. How many engineers do you think we have running amock?

I previously wrote C++ for Windows Mobile for Automotive, currently I'm writing javascript (in another window as we speak!) for a slightly less-engineering-ish position...but it's server-side scripting so it's still Honest Work (tm), not web monkey stuff.  So, engineer.  :)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2009, 06:31:38 am »

I completed the test, only guessed one answer, am confident i got the rest right.

Then I saw it asking for e-mail address and age, and thought 'oh-ho, you aren't fooling me!' and left the site.

Everything is a scam.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2009, 06:37:20 am »

Intelligence cannot be quantified so easily.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2009, 06:44:25 am »

I completed the test, only guessed one answer, am confident i got the rest right.

Then I saw it asking for e-mail address and age, and thought 'oh-ho, you aren't fooling me!' and left the site.

Everything is a scam.
I just gave it a throwaway email and 'null' as the name. It's the screen after that that's the scam, where it asks for significantly more, and money. It does email the results to you anyways, though.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2009, 07:00:26 am »

Intelligence is not a number that can be quantified easily, nor is "intelligence" really a useful word. People's brains will always be like their computers; divided up into any number of sections any one of which may be better or worse or better or much better with a tendency to burst into flame or...

That said, your internet test gives me 135 (I actually just realized that Age is relevant but I put myself in as being a year older than I am out of habit. I also registered as hilter (hitler is always taken) out of habit.)

My ACT scores say that in everything but math I'm superior to 90% of students.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Organ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2009, 07:03:30 am »

A more reliable method is to use your SAT score, the dirty little secret of the entire educational establishment is that the SAT is nothing more then a glorified IQ test.  Your combined verbal/math score in can be converted to an IQ rather easily.

Use this converter and your last SAT score, it should be a lot more reliable.  But in any event a standard deviation is about as much accuracy as should be assumed here.  My score of 1410 puts me some ware in the third standard deviation, which I suspect a lot of DF players will be in (about half of us are Programmers for one thing).

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/oldSATIQ.aspx (scores before 1995)
http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/SATIQ.aspx (after 1995)
Interesting. Though there isn't a conversion chart for the new 2400 SATs, which I did better on. Using my old 1600 SAT scores (taken as a 6th grader), my IQ is an estimated 136-138.
I'm not sure anyone here has taken a legitimate IQ test, such as the WAIS. However, I took such a test at around 16 that marked my IQ at 162. I don't remember what it was called, but it was a professional affair at the school I attended.

I am now 20, so assuming I answer the questions exactly the same way, my score would be somewhere around 130 or 140.
Course it's unlikely that you would, that's the whole point of adjusting for age. What I'm really curious about is whether your consciousness, the sum of your everyday thoughts, is significantly different from mine.
The fight in the dog in your what?

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2009, 07:18:35 am »

A more reliable method is to use your SAT score, the dirty little secret of the entire educational establishment is that the SAT is nothing more then a glorified IQ test.  Your combined verbal/math score in can be converted to an IQ rather easily.

Use this converter and your last SAT score, it should be a lot more reliable.  But in any event a standard deviation is about as much accuracy as should be assumed here.  My score of 1410 puts me some ware in the third standard deviation, which I suspect a lot of DF players will be in (about half of us are Programmers for one thing).

http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/oldSATIQ.aspx (scores before 1995)
http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/SATIQ.aspx (after 1995)
Interesting. Though there isn't a conversion chart for the new 2400 SATs, which I did better on. Using my old 1600 SAT scores (taken as a 6th grader), my IQ is an estimated 136-138.
My understanding is that the 2400 point SAT is the old 1600 one with a 100% meaningless writing section tacked onto the end. I remember something about that being ignored by universities and such because "the scoring isn't properly calibrated yet" or something along those lines.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2009, 07:23:05 am »

We did several IQ tests back at school during the years, and if I remember correctly my lowest result was 130 and my highest was 137.

I dont even know how they calculate that and I still fail at several areas of life, so I guess it doesnt mean all that much  ;D

The online test is just timing out on me when it comes to sending the result, also it seems awfully short for a proper IQ test, doesnt it?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 07:24:38 am by Puck »

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2009, 07:36:20 am »

I remember getting 140 when I was young... Got 129 now at age 21.

Remembering that IQ scores are an average of the general population's scores, the tests aren't exactly updated in real-time. We're all smarter than the average was when the original version of that cheap little test was compiled, not a gang of mega-intellects come together on the web. Could probably help contribute a fair bit to the high scores we're all getting?
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2009, 07:45:09 am »

+ 150  9 (20%) - Impressive!  :o

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2009, 07:48:19 am »

The last couple of times I took online IQ tests I got 138. I'm in Mensa, so this is believable (my original IQ when applying at age 7 was 160).

I have a friend of IQ 119 who says DF seems too smart for her.

On the subject of IQ itself, it's really more a measure of puzzle-solving skills than anything else.

EDIT: This IQ test gave me 145. I think it's a little higher than is accurate.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 09:24:59 am by Tenebrais »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2009, 09:07:17 am »

rowan, your IQ is 144

SCore. it's gone up by two points. I argue with the validity of this test though.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14