Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: My Mom's a bit troubled, and I'm worried about her.  (Read 3448 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Mom's a bit troubled, and I'm worried about her.
« on: July 06, 2009, 03:36:50 am »

Now, I don't mean to stir up anything nasty, I just want to talk about this aspect of my life.

Ever since the 9/11 attacks, my Mom's been fixated on the number 911...

She claims to me that, everywhere she goes, she sees the number 911. She wakes up at 9:11 on a disturbing basis, according to her. If already awake, she'll subconsciously check the clock, and see that it's 9:11. It's not just that specific time however, sometimes she'll claim that 1:19 is the same thing, or that 6:11 is close enough, or that 1:16 is just 911 upside-down. She'll point out addresses and phone numbers that have 911 in them, or any of the above variations I already pointed out.

If doing anything with numbers, she's always fast to catch anything that's related to the number 911. I tell her that she's just been a tad shaken up since that day, and that she's just subconsciously looking for the number, but she claims that it's god warning her of something. I ask her to explain exactly what god is warning her of, but she doesn't know. I fear for her mental health, because the stories she tells me get alittle... fantastic and unbelievable at times, such that I won't mention them here for fear making her out to be crazy, which she isn't.

Can anyone offer me some advice?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Mom's a bit troubled, and I'm worried about her.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 03:39:38 am »

She is a little shaken. Obviously your attempts to help have not worked (this does not reflect badly on you in any way) and I think a psychiatrist would be a good idea. Mental health is extremely important and it sounds like she needs the reassurance. I'm sorry she feels this way, it's never pleasant.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 03:50:13 am »

Did she know someone who died during the attacks, or something? I can't imagine someone getting THAT shooken up about it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 03:53:42 am »

No, we don't know anyone that lives New York, at all. Unless Mom knows somebody that she's never mentioned ever that was killed in the attack.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 04:40:04 am »

You really should be speaking to a psychiatrist or a counselor... not a game forum for familial advice of this kind. For one, no one here knows your mother and recieving advice is like taking medicine. If you take medicine aimed for someone else, you're just going to get worse.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 04:46:07 am »

QFT @ going to counselor.

psychiatrist is too high up for a first time.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 05:06:52 am »

Perhaps I shouldn't have brought such a matter. It is not a thematically appropriate place after all. I could dig up my account at DepressionForums.com and ask them, they're a great, supportive bunch afterall.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 06:55:06 am »

That'd be a good idea. It's not like we have all the answers.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 06:58:53 am »

You really should be speaking to a psychiatrist or a counselor... not a game forum for familial advice of this kind. For one, no one here knows your mother and recieving advice is like taking medicine. If you take medicine aimed for someone else, you're just going to get worse.

Agreed.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 07:02:14 am »

You did the right thing in coming here, because this is a forum full of intelligent, mature people who will tell you the exact right answer:

Go see a professional.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 07:19:48 am »

You did the right thing in coming here, because this is a forum full of intelligent, mature people who will tell you the exact right answer:

Go see a professional.

*plays star spangled banner on his own lips*

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 09:39:36 am »

>.>

Is it equally odd that I notice 1:23 on the clock waaaaaaaay too often?

It's when school used to get out.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 09:40:23 am »

>.>

Is it equally odd that I notice 1:23 on the clock waaaaaaaay too often?

It's when school used to get out.

I usually notice it when it hits 1:23 AM and I go "Aw hell no"

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 09:43:07 am »

I have to agree with everybody here--it's possible she has a form of PTSD, and if that's the case then she'll need therapy for an extended period of time to get over it. The trouble comes with convincing her to go. She's got to be fully onboard for therapy to work. It's possible that she doesn't consider it to be a problem, in which case it might be better to leave her be until she does consider it a problem. Either way, good luck, and I wish the best for your mother. :)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 10:37:42 am »

If she is still experiencing this nearly eight years later, it would probably be best for her to have a talk with a therapist about it.  It sounds to (completely un-expert) me like this is something that is all in her head.  But all in her head doesn't mean that it's harmless or if she ignores it the problem will magically disappear.  It means if she talks this over and works it out, it shouldn't be hard to work out.  Remember, going to a therapist doesn't mean you're crazy, just that you want help breaking a bad habit.  What's the worst case scenario here?  She's out 50 bucks and a couple of hours.  But I'm bet that if she just sat down  and talked this out, she could permanently solve her fears.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: [1] 2 3