Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: My Mom's a bit troubled, and I'm worried about her.  (Read 3447 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Mom's a bit troubled, and I'm worried about her.
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 04:32:59 pm »

Can anyone offer me some advice?
It's pretty common what's happening to her. That might be a good start... "mom, fixation on numbers is a common mental hangup, relax, you can let it go"

Personally I'm haunted by 324, which was the favourite number of a teacher I hated. Also 23, for obvious reasons.  ;D

The trick is to understand that this is mostly just your mind playing tricks on you, a bit like a "self fulfilling prophecy".

Too bad I forgot the correct term for the mental illness that describes this phenomenon, but reading about it alone should help a bit with relieving her. The other problem here, obviously, is the trauma from what happened on that day. So even if she manages to get rid of the number thing there's still that to overcome.

But to me it seems (I dont know her) this is a pretty simple problem that can be solved with a bit of talking. Of course, every knot in your mind is tied to another knot that happened earlier in your life, so if she sees a therapist about it, chances are, they'll try to milk her for what it's worth.

On the other hand, if she had worse traumata as a younger person, those might as well be the reason why she even was able to develop her current problems...

edit: If she was my mother, I'd ask her about how she feels about that day and whether or not she stills fears "terrorist attacks". If I'd notice anything that might be the trigger to get the "emotional waterfall" going, it try to tickle that thing a bit, and just listen (or even just pretend to listen, whatever, just let her do the talking).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:39:01 pm by Puck »

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 04:58:20 pm »

The brain is great at noticing patterns.

It's also great at creating false patterns.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 05:02:42 pm »

One thing you need to make sure is whether or not this has an effect on her daily life, if it doesn't then she is considered a low risk.

But in response to why she is counting numbers, it is, to the best of my knowledge, this:

911 was the first major attack on Americans that was carried out on American soil by a foriegn entity. This message to most citizens of the US was "you are not safe". Sure there was the cold war, but all that amounted to was the Cuban missile crises, and no action was taken. Now all of a sudden, your mother finally "realises" that she is unsafe, and is subconsciously looking for signs of the next one, a sign that would be provided by a higher power.

Now, bear in mind that this is from the point of view of an 18 year old whose knowledge of psychology came from a half semester course he took nearly a year ago. I might be completely wrong, so it is best to see a psychiatric councelor about this.

If there is anything to add it is this: stay away from psychological therapists. The word "therapist" is unregulated in the US, and if you really wanted to, you can make a college that cranks out "certified car therapists" for all the law cares.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 05:05:37 pm »

911 was the first major attack on Americans that was carried out on American soil by a foriegn entity.
This isnt really a place for nitpicking but what about Pearl Harbor?

edit: but yeah, the feeling of loss of safety is probably a reason, that's why I said let her talk about that day and ask her whether or not she still fears "terrorist" attacks. telling her "mom, you still fear this and that" probably wont do jackshit, I guess.

Personally I think it's important to understand that nobody is safe and we're all very fragile, at all times. You dont need a war or a bomb to die, it can be the stupidest things that can kill you. Accepting that and still being cool about it is a whole different stunt.

Yay, I talk big, but I nearly shit myself before every major drop I jump with my bike  :-\
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 05:09:46 pm by Puck »

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 05:08:26 pm »

911 was the first major attack on Americans that was carried out on American soil by a foriegn entity.
Aww fuck, first attack on civilians on American soil. The target's military value is virtually zero.

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 05:11:13 pm »

If there is anything to add it is this: stay away from psychological therapists. The word "therapist" is unregulated in the US, and if you really wanted to, you can make a college that cranks out "certified car therapists" for all the law cares.

Or rather, check credentials. Always ask about what sort of training the person you're going to has had. Then choose whether you want to trust those credentials.

I say this because I've known some very talented counselors who called themselves therapists. :)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 05:15:57 pm »

Aww fuck, first attack on civilians on American soil. The target's military value is virtually zero.

What, the war of 1812 doesn't count? I'm sure that there were civilian attacks there... You could also point at the Oklahoma City bombing.

Point taken, though. I think that it made a lot of people feel a lot less safe than they had previously felt themselves to be.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 05:19:26 pm »

What, the war of 1812 doesn't count? I'm sure that there were civilian attacks there... You could also point at the Oklahoma City bombing.
But were those carried out by foreign entities?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 05:09:26 am »

But were those carried out by foreign entities?

Yeah, don't you remember the war of 1812? The one where the Canadians burned down the Whitehouse? Americans sort of gloss that one over a bit, I think  :)

Nothing of substance to add on the actual subject...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2009, 09:49:22 am »

And the failed Japanese invasion of Alaska, and the hot air balloon bombs they tried to use on us, and the first World Trade Center Bombing.
Shoes...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2009, 10:36:23 am »

The only difference is that those actions were the actions of another country.

9/11 was the action of an organization.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 10:58:21 am »

Country, organization, they're all the same thing.
Shoes...

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 11:00:31 am »

I believe the topic has officially derailed.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 11:07:31 am »

Also, the first World Trade center bombing was Al Qaeda, not a country.
Shoes...

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 11:27:13 am »

So she is becoming obsessed over this?

Sounds bad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3