Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What does openGL do for DF?  (Read 2635 times)

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
What does openGL do for DF?
« on: July 06, 2009, 01:00:40 pm »

Now, I may sound completely illiterate, but thats mianly because I'm new to this whole thing. So, I've heard lots of stuff about open Gl, but I have no idea what that is, or how it affects DF. I've read stuff on it, but that hasn't helped any. So if anyone would oblige in explaining to the technologically illiterate, that would be great.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What does openGL do for DF?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 01:08:09 pm »

In a nutshell, openGL does all the graphics rendering for DF.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 01:22:51 pm »

Don't have time to look it up, but IIRC, openGL is short for open Graphics Library, and is a standardized set of I/O libraries for graphics.

In other words, it's one of the standard sets of code you use to make the stuff on the PC show up right on the screen.

The current work on the 40d# stuff for DF is a revision of the old code that was just working way to slow.  Toady opened up the display code for others to look at and rev up, as he's still wanting to focus on more core gameplay issues, but the previous issues from the display code was causing enough trouble for enough people to start to become an issue with playing/testing the game itself.

So far, most folks have reported better speeds (some -way- better), plus they've added in neat things like zooming in and out (I'm having way to much fun zooming out on my fort. :))
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 02:27:35 pm »

Okay, that explains some of the things, but would it still look the same as basic DF, or does it have like other things? Jw, becuase my computer sometimes explodes, don't wanna download it then not be able to use it.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 02:36:46 pm »

What is being done currently is just some optimization of the OpenGL code, which Dwarf Fortress already uses. Other than the new versions potentially being unstable, as long as your computer ran it before it shouldn't have a problem with the new versions that are coming out. They also have some new display features like a resizable window, zoom in/out function, etc.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 03:00:14 pm »

40d13 already? zooming? WHY DIDNT YOU SAY SO BEFORE!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 03:11:23 pm »

As far as I'm aware OpenGL is allowing DF to run on systems that arent backwards compatible to the traditional rougelike "Its just a text window where the text is lined up to look like an image" thing.   Supposedly Windows Vista is one such OS that can't handle that old style well.

OpenGL also allows the game to expand outside the current 16 colors system eventually, and even currently you can edit the 16 colors to custom RGB values thanks to the openGL in the init files.  Allowing somebody to make microcline or orthoclase less retina bleaching for example.

It also makes the 3D render the game itself can draw with the "V" key possible.  Though 3Dwarf and lifevis do what that does better and less buggily.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eidalac

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecchi Inside
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 11:16:47 am »

40d13 already? zooming? WHY DIDNT YOU SAY SO BEFORE!

It did that in d12. :p

Okay, that explains some of the things, but would it still look the same as basic DF, or does it have like other things? Jw, becuase my computer sometimes explodes, don't wanna download it then not be able to use it.

Naw, though the work will pave the way for other options for Toady, but he isn't planning to do any major overhaul to the display end till much further down the line.  For the time being, some of the folks working on 3rd party viewers will likely use the re-write to expand their own work, such will be separate from the core of DF.

Just keep in mind, the 40d version on the main page is the latest official release.  All the 40d# series are progression in the OpenGL rework and will be more prone to bugs and errors (they are being released so they can be tested so that Toady can work that code into the next official release).
is he okay?
In the traditional sense of the word?  No, he's been dissolved in magma.