Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dying dwarf due to stupid dwarf: remedy?  (Read 4341 times)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dying dwarf due to stupid dwarf: remedy?
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:48:40 pm »

Ok a bit of back story:  Tom and Tina like to play by the river, since you've already guessed what happened from that, I'll cut to the chase:  Tom got his left leg bitten by a carp.  So he sat there for a while with a red cross over him as I went "huh, wonder what that icon means?" but since it happend on a bridge, I figured it was a graphical glitch due to positioning and left him be. 

Come back a while later and he's still on the damn bridge.  So I check and oh hey! My first wound!  So I'm thinking it odd that no one has taken care of him yet (as all dwarves have Health Care checked) so I assign one specific dwarf to Health Care only to take care of this guy.  And that he does!  He picks the guy up, moves him off the bridge into a field, then sees a shiny object and promptly forgets about the guy.

Couple days later, I get another dwarf who's suffered a similar fate.  Now, keep in mind, the original dwarf is STILL lying in that damn field, but I've kinda written him off as dead as he hasn't had a drink in a while and by the time I figure out how to properly care for him, he'll have died.  So I'm focusing on the other guy for right now.

Now I know my medic has done his thing in the past because I saw it say "bringing water to thirsty dwarf' or something like that.  He brought it to the wrong dwarf, but at least the game recognizes that he's supposed to be taking care of something dwarf-like.  And I know this guy has several buckets, and several beds, to choose from.  But he just sits in the damn meeting room all day.  He doesn't budge at all.  Does he have to actively see the injured dwarves?  Do other dwarves that come in not talk at all about their freaking kin that's lying in a damn field?! 

If he DOES need to see them, how do I assign one dwarf to go to a specific location?  I tried soldiering him up and putting him at a spot, then de-soldiering him.  He just walked right by the disabled dwarf and went back to chilling in the meeting room. 

So I've NO idea why this guy won't do anything or what I'm missing.  There's plenty of buckets for water, there's plenty of beds (hell I think both victims actually have their own rooms, but there's plenty of barrack beds failing that).  I even checked the Medic-dwarf himself to see if he's suffered head injury but it's white so I'm assuming he's fine.  Is mental illness a factor in this game?

Also, side note so as to nip the problem in the bud:  if I put a marks dwarf patrolling along the problematic bank, will he shoot any offending carps?  Or will the pikes, sturgeons, carps, and other menaces of the deep just kill him too?
I still don't think I'm crazy enough to play this game properly.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Dying dwarf due to stupid dwarf: remedy?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 09:53:26 pm »

If they brought water to a dwarf, that dwarf needed it.  Might not have been your choice, but that's life in DF.

Health Care is never a high priority, and some dwarfs don't like to do it.  (Check in preferences - something about "not go out of their way to help others".  Check the wiki article on "personality" for a full list.)

They have to have the bucket and a path, and (often) few or no other labors enabled, so they keep remembering to make it a priority.  Maybe you have "no go outside" or something designated?  Sure your front gates are open? 

If so, it should work.  If the injured dwarf is really hating it, you could build a bed next to them and walls around them for protection, and so forth - if they're worth it.  Think of it as a mini project.  Make a 1-tile wide tunnel for safety, and turn it into an archer tower.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:07:19 pm »

...ungh, the depth of this game screws me again.  Yes, she dislikes helping others.  Thanks.

Man, out of 40 dwarves I pick 1 that dislikes helping others as my first 'medic'.

Ok so while I have ya'lls attention (jiggles key ring) when I look at the list of dwarves, what do all the colored names mean?  Mood?  Injury status?  Migration wave?  Favored color?

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 10:12:12 pm »

Ok so while I have ya'lls attention (jiggles key ring) when I look at the list of dwarves, what do all the colored names mean?  Mood?  Injury status?  Migration wave?  Favored color?

Their proffession, it depends on what types of skills they have (metal worker/gem worker/crafter)

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 10:26:07 pm »

Ok...

One last question.  I was going through my (ever expanding) list of deceased, and among them is the Liaison from the outpost.  Will they send me a new one or what?  This carp thing is getting out of hand. 

Oi, ok one more last question:  so I had my miner die recently.  I know things can cave in but problem is he wasn't mining at the time he died.  He's not at the drinking hole either.  So how do you find a corpse?  I tried zooming to it from the menu where you can see who alls died, but evidently that only works for folk who are living. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:30:30 pm by Shiv »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 10:40:05 pm »

Check wiki on "profession" - nice chart w/ all colors.

Liaison - only 1/game/race.  You won't get another from that race.

Corpses - try the z-stocks menu, hit <tab> to see individually listed items.  A low book-keeping level shouldn't be a problem unless you have more than 99 corpses lying around - if you can't see double digits, drop someone in book-keeper for a couple weeks and then you'll be able to. (Good way to get attributes on a chosen outdoor/military dwarf.)

I'd also suggest multiple dwarfs w/ Health Care, always.  If one is busy w/ a Repeating task, another can cover,  it's not like it's needed so commonly that it'll be a big hit to other tasks, and the alternatives are painful.

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 02:43:01 am »

Ok so I scrapped that game (due primarily to wanting to re-design my fortress, but in part due to losing 10 people to a fish) but for future reference: does the liason really do anything?  If I lose him, should I restart the game or what? 

It was the Dwarven liason I lost.  So far all I've seen them do is ask what I want next time they come to trade but that doesn't seem to have much affect on what they actually bring.  Do they do anything more than that, perhaps later on?  I've not yet gotten past 50ish dwarves without deciding to restart for some reason.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 03:53:55 am »

You probably set things wrong, because if you ask for the items it actually has a huge effect. I'd say they are rather important, but not really necessary.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 04:43:38 am »

every dwarf in my fortress refuses to go and claim a bolt from some guys thigh. I've got two, one set to dump, the other set not to dump, and no dwarf will pick up either of them!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 05:09:09 am »

Only the dwarf who has the bolt stuck in him can remove it.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 06:53:06 am »

Well I still think my personal favorite is the idiot that walls himself into my flow control chamber for my cistern.  It's happened so often that I actually sit and WATCH them place the last floodgate or brick up the last wall :p

Not that I do anything if they get stuck....  they just get flushed
Demon of Darkness

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 07:07:51 am »

Ok this should be renamed to just general newbie questions or something lol.

But to continue:  I'm working on digging out a sky light for my central area that everyone passes through.  I figure this might help with the underground sickness I keep hearing about.  So I got the first Z level channeled out and want to dig the last one (it's only 2 tall).  Problem is, my dwarves refuse to remove any of the stones that are left over from digging out above.  And I checked to see if they were sick already but one of them even has the trait that he loves to go out doors, so I don't think that's the problem.

Any other ideas?

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 07:29:27 am »

... Are your Dwarves <o>rdered to gather <r>efuse from Outside?  I can't be absolutely certain that's your problem, but any tile without a ceiling is considered Outdoors, even if it's surrounded by your fortress.  Dumping uses the "Refuse Hauling" labor, so anything you dump is considered Refuse.  The default Dwarf behavior is to ignore outdoor refuse because, after all, no Dwarf cares about what the countryside looks like.

... But that's the only thing I can think of so far.
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Shiv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 08:31:27 am »

Yah, that's it...I even checked the orders menu but I checked it to make sure they could go outside, not whether they were gathering refuse or not.

Thanks again.

Freaky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 09:45:40 am »

Well I still think my personal favorite is the idiot that walls himself into my flow control chamber for my cistern.  It's happened so often that I actually sit and WATCH them place the last floodgate or brick up the last wall :p

Designate and suspend something to be built where you don't want them to stand; they'll avoid standing on pending constructions if possible.
Pages: [1] 2