Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dying dwarf due to stupid dwarf: remedy?  (Read 4291 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dying dwarf due to stupid dwarf: remedy?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 01:10:29 pm »

Once you have enough dwarves that you can support having 20 or so haulers with health care, treating wounded dwarves should be easy enough. I believe health care is on the same priority as hauling jobs, so your haulers will take care of him. Make sure you have beds that aren't designated in a room, dwarves treat those as hospital beds and wounded dwarves will recover faster in them. You should also look into de-carping your river, a dedicated marksdwarf should manage it in a season or so assuming he's skilled and well supplied (and doesn't try to hammer them).

For the liaison, requesting items doesn't guarantee they will come with the next caravan, but it greatly increases the chance they will. I requested iron anvils one year and they brought me six the next year. Just be forewarned that while requesting items makes them more likely to come, it also increases their price. The iron anvils went from 1000 to 2400 in cost, so the price jacks up fast.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 01:56:52 pm »

Both the number and cost would probably be because you gave them highest priority.  Low priority items still show up, and only jump by maybe 20%.  For things like wood or barrels, a 100% markup (highest priority) is insignificant - with something like anvils or armor you're going to feel it more.

The liaison is your personal customer service rep.  If you want something, he'll (try to) get it for you.  Sometimes a civilization doesn't have access to something (flux or bauxite being the most notoriously frustrating), and sometimes the race doesn't handle that sort of item.  But if you want to stock up on obscure materials for strange moods, or just need more wood than the map provides, the liaison is the one to talk to.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 02:03:08 pm »

And remember, ask you liason for everything, all the time. You don't need silk now and you never will, until a dwarf goes mad and kills everyone because his project needs "cloth...thread" and it's not until he's gone mad that you realise he meant silk thread, not rope reed thread.

(I'm not bitter at all...)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 12:46:59 pm »

And remember, ask you liason for everything, all the time.

Wouldn't that just increase prices without increasing the likelyhood of it being brought?

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 01:57:24 pm »

just order the silk if they didn't bring it the first time, and then never use it. I keep a bin of the stuff from the first caravan around just in case.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 02:15:58 pm »

just order the silk if they didn't bring it the first time, and then never use it. I keep a bin of the stuff from the first caravan around just in case.

Sorry to derail the thread even further, but I just thought of something related I have to ask you people:

Let's say I wanna keep a stock of silk, shells, precious metals and whatnot for potential moods, would forbidding a small amount of those resources work? I mean, will a moody dwarf use forbidden stuff or will I have to micromanage and unforbid?

Not that unforbidding a bunch of items in case of a "stuck" mood would be much work, but it would be nice to know, and only fuck knows when the next mood (to test it out myself) comes in my current fort, thus I ask you.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 02:37:57 pm »

most of the rare stuff won't be used unless you explicitly tell dwarves to use it. Silk, Shell, precious metals, gems, none of that will be touched unless you tell a dwarf to touch it. Just check your stone menu to make sure no one makes a door out of your platinum ore and that stuff will lay around forever until you use it or a mood uses it.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 02:54:00 pm »

That's the thing, though. I want them to use some of those supposedly rare materials, while still maintaining a reserve. I know that's possible, I'm just wondering about the micromanagement here; namely, if you'd have to unforbid the items for them to be used once a mood strikes. My best guess would have to be yes, because IIRC I had a moody dwarf not use some raw materials I had forbidden after he had hauled them to the shop.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 02:55:07 pm »

most of the rare stuff won't be used unless you explicitly tell dwarves to use it.

Huh? Since when?!  Your average crafts-dwarf will grab whatever's handy unless it's forbidden.  (And, personally, I think they go for the most expensive/rare stuff just to spite you!)

Moody dwarfs won't touch forbidden items.  However, if a moody dwarf grabs X and you want them to use Y, you can micromanage, forbid X as they're carrying it to their claimed workshop, and they'll go get Y - ~IF~ Y suits them (doesn't always!).  However, no fear - if they stop in their tracks, just unforbid X and they'll grab that up again.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 03:10:19 pm »

I think he meant that, for example, shells will only be used for specifically shell-related tasks. Same goes for silk.

I'd like to make some gcs silk stuff (I can recommend bags; you get an easy 2k of value out of one, as long as it's been processed by skilled dyers, weavers and clothiers, and it can be placed as furniture), while keeping a small reserve in case of moods. I guess I'll just forbid some of it and worry about micromanaging this shit once I get there.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 03:02:41 am »

The micromanaging you're talking about really isn't that bad.  Strange Moods are a big occurrence anyway, and so they're something you might want to keep track of instead of just "let happen."  I specifically keep several bones, shells, and skulls forbidden just in case - though I hadn't thought to do the same with silk.  Then if a moody dwarf stops collecting, I just look at what I need to un-forbid (or, if I have none of it, what I need to desperately attempt to produce).
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 06:44:32 am »

I agree.

I was wondering about a micromanagement-free solution solely on principle, not because I couldn't be bothered to interfere with my moods.

skulls

I'm almost positive about those never being used for moods. At least that's what I've read and how it worked for me. I even let them rot now because of their sheer uselessness.
Pages: 1 [2]