Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Wooden cudgels/staff?  (Read 8318 times)

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wooden cudgels/staff?
« on: July 06, 2009, 09:55:38 pm »

Hows about a weak wooden melee weapon for us hippie folk trying to fight skeleton raids early game?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden cudgels/staff?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 10:10:25 am »

Would these wooden clubs use mace skill?

Joakim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 10:59:30 am »

Yay, batons for the Fortress Guard!
Can we give them whistle to?

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 09:54:19 pm »

Mace skill would make sense

@Joakim - only puny hummie guards use batons, dwarven guards use hammers!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:00:48 am »

It has always seemed strange to me that dwarves can make a Menacing Wooden Spike but not a Wooden Spear. Unless the idea of a spear demands that it be bladed at the end so it could slash as well as stab, a javelin is one of the simplest weapons imaginable. Other things like wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!), slings, and other non-metal weaponry are so basic it doesn't take the patience (or desperation) of the elves to make basic wooden weapons.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 12:16:55 pm »

On topic: I like it; a logical means of defence early on most likely something that wouldn't be to hard to implement.

Off topic; Can I use this as my signature please?  ;D
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 02:36:32 pm »

Off topic; sure, so long as it's in the quote bracket.

On topic; the main reason I'd like to see this is I like to do survival embarks where I leave with nothing but a battle axe and some cats, and I really like embarking on evil biomes where there's a constant threat of attack without the real danger of being caught off-guard by a goblin ambush. Currently I can't do both at the same time since my dwarves can't arm themselves enough to fight off some of the nastier undead without metal weapons. Wooden weapons would make dangerous embarks more fun, training new military dwarves in the absence of elvish or silver weaponry easier, and would just make sense.

In the meantime, I may take up enough modding to add this to my game.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 05:14:57 pm »

Heck, it fits in with the time period perfectly. In Englandy-places the peasants had cudgel/walking sticks, and in times of need they would train up a cudgel militia.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 07:00:10 pm »

Replace the hammerer with the cudgeller. Much safer (I hope).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 07:44:55 pm »

The Cudgel strikes me as being more of a mace, personally. Might actually make the macedwarf skill useful, especially if slingdwarves used the macedwarf skill for melee combat (I believe slings with stones in them were swung in melee sometimes, though I'm not an expert on mideval weapons).

It also strikes me that these cheap wooden weapons, which were often what mideval peasants would arm themselves with temporarily, would work well with the idea of setting dwarves to roam around armed. Since they wouldn't be powerful weapons, it wouldn't remove the need for an active military, however in areas where there is a danger of wandering dwarves being attacked by a werewolf or skarp a wooden cudgel and some military training might be enough to let dwarves out of the fortress with minimum risk. It would also make the woodcrafter skill useful, as militia dwarves with masterwork cudgels would be downright dangerous.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 07:49:19 pm by Grendus »

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 01:37:34 am »

On topic; the main reason I'd like to see this is I like to do survival embarks where I leave with nothing but a battle axe and some cats, and I really like embarking on evil biomes where there's a constant threat of attack without the real danger of being caught off-guard by a goblin ambush. Currently I can't do both at the same time since my dwarves can't arm themselves enough to fight off some of the nastier undead without metal weapons. Wooden weapons would make dangerous embarks more fun, training new military dwarves in the absence of elvish or silver weaponry easier, and would just make sense.

That was exactly what I was thinking, I am constantly embarking on rediculously hard biomes, with rediculously small ammounts of food, only to get beaten by skeletal horses :(

So why not have a rediculous weapon?, the blackjack!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 03:07:51 pm »

spears with no heads(just a point) or stone/metal

spear-throwershttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear_thrower maybe for some civs(Goblins instead foe croos bows?)
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 03:32:30 pm »

the earliest weapons of man, but dwarves can't use them...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 06:39:32 pm »

Wooden cudgels? What blasphemy is this? Real dwarves use stone cudgels. And stone spears will be useful for rust monsters.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:59:54 pm »

Stone cudgels would shatter on the first blow. They're too rigid to make adequate weapons. Stone spears would have similar issues; you could make the haft out of wood, though, which was done back in the stone ages.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5