Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Wooden spear  (Read 2681 times)

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wooden spear
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 07:48:00 pm »

I take it that there isn't an option in the raw to specify the material types that can be used in workshops? I know that if you play as goblins you can make bows at the bowyer's, but for the most part it doesn't seem possible to add new options...

Arawak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 08:17:00 pm »

Well Dwarves would create the wooden weapons if they had nothing else to work with, because supposedly they love crafting things.
otherwise I would never think of them using them.

But that glass idea is relativley good because most volcanic glass is very sharp at just a couple smacks. And archeologists say that the cavemen had some speartips as sharp as surgical steel, some say sharper.

But most rank and file weapons had some wood content and spears caught on in many military applications not just because they didn't allow enemy soldiers to get close enough to attack without risking bodily harm.

but because they didn't use much metal all the metal was used in both tips of the spear one that was bigger to attack with and another that was meant to dig into the ground to resist a charge from a mounted opponent or just somthing really big, also most spears use about 1/5 of the steel needed for just a normal sword.

Yes wooden weapons are wrongheaded but a spear made entirley out of wood would very well work. Possibly balanced for throwing making a throwing spear (called a javelin) used much like the roman pilum but it wouldn't stick to armor or sheild making them  too heavy to use. using them with an alatl much like an aboriginal woomera for you aussies it could probably have enough force to break through some armor most notably chainmail if it doesn't have its proper padding.

that and more once I remember what oh yeah..

Also you could chop down trees then say what the wood should be used for such as chopping A block of wood about six feet high then dragging that to a woodworkers shop where he could use a tool to hammer out shafts.

this tool is  made from metal and is  a cicular blade attached to a thin strip of metal attached to a round/flat bar to hold and hammer cutting downwards through the wood starting from the top because its thinner making a shaft about 5 for a good thick tree..Ashwood Is best if I remember correctly

The spear is a good weapon to be used en-masse because its cheap and more effective to a point the more you make.
also you can make them longer so about three line of soldiers can attack one line of swords..

If you guess who wins you get a cookie..

Thus ending my rediculously long post about spears..

acking = in game steroids...
"when beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean''s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember, that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang.

Chthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 02:35:00 pm »

Damn, beaten to the javelins idea.  I still have my idea about combat axe berserkers.  They carry 2 axes into combat.  They throw an axe first as they close on the enemy hoping to score a nice hit, then they go at the enemy with their 2 handed war axe.  Wonderful efficiency as they can later pick up the thrown weapon.

Also, what about polearms.  Many not only were used as spears/swords, but also as grappling weapons that kept the enemy out of grappling range.  A sucessful hit would prevent the opponent from coming into grappling range until they can wrest free.  Various spikes and blades in the grappling part would cause extra damage as they struggle, and other dwarves could move in while the enemy is occupied with the weapon.
Of course those with long reach could still grapple *cough*dragons*cough*

''d be perfect if I weren''t so arrogant.

4bh0r53n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/index.php?c=1&mforum=abhorsengames
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2007, 10:26:00 am »

quote:
Damn, beaten to the javelins idea. I still have my idea about combat axe berserkers. They carry 2 axes into combat. They throw an axe first as they close on the enemy hoping to score a nice hit, then they go at the enemy with their 2 handed war axe. Wonderful efficiency as they can later pick up the thrown weapon.

i do this in adventure mode   :D

.B.H.O.R.S.E.N.: Abhorrent, Bloodthirsty, Hitchhiker-Obliterating Ravager from the Sunless Enchanted Necropolis

I dont explode Cats, its way to hard to coax them into the microwave...

Pages: 1 [2]