Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Swimming in Magma  (Read 5324 times)

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Swimming in Magma
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:38:22 pm »

My miner seems to be immune to magma.

I told him to dig out a tunnel to allow magma to flow out into a small area, he then proceeded to take a fricken bath in the stuff and is still standing there waste deep in magma.  Any ideas?
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: Swimming in Magma
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 01:44:47 pm »

Is your miner encircled with bands of Bauxite?
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 01:50:09 pm »

Nope, not a bit of bauxite on the map.
He is legendary however.
People burning, booze exploding, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  Its business as usual.

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 01:51:34 pm »

Is your miner encircled with bands of Bauxite?

And now menacing with spikes of obsidian?

In all seriousness, have you turned off temperature? If so, magma is (nearly) harmless - it can still drown dwarves like water, but without heat it won't do any damage.

...unless you ever turn temperature back on, in which case the "Magma Coverings" on your miner will spontaneously combust... along with your miner... and the booze stockpile he will inevitably be standing in.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 01:54:22 pm »

Huh, lemme go check the raws
I think I will try to get him out of the lava before I do anything with the temp.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 02:14:19 pm »

I think I will try to get him out of the lava before I do anything with the temp.
There is a lot in the raws. But temperature goes well above the raws. such a thing is found in the init.
And I suggest you dump him in some water before turning the temperature back on. I've heard it would prevent your miner from becoming a !!miner!!.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 02:15:58 pm »

It's really best to leave him there. See the post above referencing magma covering. You cannot wash it off. It will light him up when the temperature is reset. If he's in the magma, he'll do no additional harm. If he's in a meeting hall full of dwarves it's gonna be a problem. If he's in the booze stockpile it's gonna be fun.

He may not immediately burn if standing in water, but I think even water won't wash off the magma coating he now has, so if he ever climbs out of the bath !!dwarf!!
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 02:20:04 pm »

The covering will come off after awhile though- suspectedly at season changes.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 02:23:10 pm »

SOOOoooo,
YEah, I'm back, I turned on TEMP in INIT.
Wish I had not.

A massive firestorm consumed half the map, the miner covered in magma returned to the fortress and set a food store on fire.

Final tally, 3 children, 1 legendary miner, 1 Armorer/Mayor, and a cat are dead.  Also, I think I lost a bunch of high quality prepared foods.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 02:25:04 pm »

People burning, the fort is on fire, the countryside has turned to ash.  It is the Dwarven Dresden.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 02:39:55 pm »

Iirc, there's a known bug that involves dwarves falling into magma and landing on something else that has fallen - or something like that.  It also creates the effect you are seeing.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 05:07:24 pm »

Man I love fires. I'm looking forward to a future when constructions and doors can catch fire. A human town cheerily burning down while my dwarves toast their Sunshine to them from their gabbro fortress is one of my wishes for the future.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 11:13:05 am »

Man I love fires. I'm looking forward to a future when constructions and doors can catch fire. A human town Elven Forest Retreat cheerily burning down while my dwarves toast their Sunshine to them from their gabbro fortress is one of my wishes for the future.

Fixed that for you

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 04:48:25 pm »

Fixed.

SomGuye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2009, 06:01:09 pm »

I was laughing for a bit as I watched the miner sitting there in the magma, leveling up his swimming ability.
Pages: [1] 2