Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Where can I learn C/C++?  (Read 7900 times)

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I learn C/C++?
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 02:37:00 pm »

quote:
I've never seen a decent finished ASCII console game that I knew to be coded in another language than C or C++. Roguelikes are almost all, if not all written in C or C++.

You have to play more roguelikes then. There were a lot of programming languages used to create various roguelikes. I wrote 3 roguelikes in Common Lisp. DoomRL is written in Pascal (though I think Pascal is even worse than C in terms of expressive power). The first roguelike, Rogue was written before C was even conceived. Knowing C is good if you want to mantain legacy code, but if you're starting a new project, it's better to choose something different.

By the way, MazeCrawl won't be developed further, according to its developer, so it can qualify as "finished", but probably not "decent" enough   ;)

[ September 22, 2007: Message edited by: Grue ]

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2007, 08:34:00 am »

C++ is not a language to learn C family with.

Get Microsoft visual C# 2005 express, for free, and Oreily's learning C# book (can be had for $20ish at amazon.com).

The reason: all C languages share a common root 'language' and each use their own 'dialect' for a comparative analogy, so you can learn one and have a pretty good grasp on others.
The reason for C# first: it has all the 'piping' done for you... you don't need to worry about coding or finding a 3D library, a UI library, et cetra ad infinitum. it's a *HELL* of a lot less hassle to learn, and it gets you in on the ground floor very very well on all other C based languages.  It also has automatic 'trash' cleanup, no worry about memory leaks and cleaning up your own 'trash' with it.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2007, 08:48:00 am »

I have it. but do you know how hard setting up the code to recieve keyboard input in a windows forum is? MSVC# express is not very good for one reason: you need a component framework to run the programs. And it makes bulky, large results, probably with extra things slowing it down.

I am writing a command line interpreter for one of those odd and useless languages in C. All I have left is to add binary output(by bits) and fix text output to files.

[ September 23, 2007: Message edited by: qwertyuiopas ]

Eh?
Eh!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 09:51:00 am »

With as hard as MS is pushing .NET (they are betting their whole company on it) and how good it runs (after JIT compiles most of the code on your machine (which it only needs to do once), it runs almost as fast as optimized C++ code), there's no real reason not to use it.  As with the shortcoming you are speaking of, you can get down 'into the guts' of it when you need to and change things.  I am not a fan of most things MS does, but .NET is definitely a huge leap forward in the right direction.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 02:13:00 pm »

fine: you try making a roguelike using a windows forum as a drawing surface and see if YOU can get it to read keyboard input.
I eventually gave up and went for VB because I could get it to read input.
Eh?
Eh!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 07:58:00 pm »

a "windows forum"? Just what, praytell, is that?
Pages: 1 [2]