Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you feel about the Magic School Sim/roguelike idea?

I like it.
- 8 (40%)
Nice!  It should have (write suggestion)
- 0 (0%)
mmm... I've seen this somewhere...
- 0 (0%)
Awesome!
- 3 (15%)
Sounds interesting.
- 4 (20%)
Nah...
- 5 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Simple Game Project. (STAGE: on hold. Learning OpenGl)  (Read 10909 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Game Project. Who would like to join?
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 01:56:50 am »

Perhaps a magic simulator where you have to collect items as components of spells?

The point of the game would be to collect the materials and skill to cast an epic spell.

Quality of the ingredients would affect the outcome of the spell.

Which ingredients are required for each spell are randomized at the start of the game.

Certain spells can only be discovered by mixing ingredients, no scroll tells you how to cast it.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

narakal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 06:14:33 am »

hm... I have always been fond of the school roguelike type sim, maybe it could have multiple endings based on different things in game?
Ala, you mixed a set of ingrediants and created some giga-spell as one, or perhaps even a simple 'yea, you graduated' type thing after a certain amount of days or turns pass?.
Definitely agree with the randomized ingrediant idea though, and that some spells must be found through just mixing.

(also I use Visual Studios for C++)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 06:18:16 am by narakal »

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 07:42:15 am »

You came here to ask for help?  You're going to be drowned in brainstorms with no code.

So I got this idea...;)

Too bad you're going the rogue-like/no graphics route, because that is the only thing I am good at. :(

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:15 am »

ID: The Bay12 Town Builder

Armed with pick, shovel, axe, and hoe, set out to build a town!

Simulator game?

Sandbox game with unique resources.

Have a map generator create world's for the player. Player starts in a town with just enough food to make it from the town to the map edges, a pick, shovel, axe, and hoe. The goal of the game is to move til' you find the location that you want, and then build a city. At first it would be scrounging around for food and making crude shelter. You could dig in any direction to find metals like in DF. You can plow the ground and plant any seeds you could find. You can cut down trees, grow trees, climb up trees. Kind of a mix between Haven & Hearth, and DF adventure mode.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 11:19:00 am »

I could try to help...
I have plenty of experience with C and openGL using MinGW, and could probablt tolerate C++.

The issue I see with all OOP in general is that it is supposed to break everything into more logical chunks to make it easier to work with, but some people take it too far in some cases.

If you wanted to make a roguelike, it would be quite possible for me to write a graphical front-end that gives a full 256^3 range of foreground and background colours in a screen that is not forced to be 80x25. All you would need is to give it the char and color data(unsigned char[4] would probably work best for each color, though you could store all of it as unsigned char[9], with full background and transparency,unsigned char[8] assuming the bg is allways non-transparent, and so on...)
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 12:43:45 pm »

ID: 1-SPELLSIM
Perhaps a magic simulator where you have to collect items as components of spells?

The point of the game would be to collect the materials and skill to cast an epic spell.

Quality of the ingredients would affect the outcome of the spell.

Which ingredients are required for each spell are randomized at the start of the game.

Certain spells can only be discovered by mixing ingredients, no scroll tells you how to cast it.
Why do you need to cast spells?
Where do you get ingredients from?
Could we add different tools you need to pick different ingredients?
Is there some kind of competition against some other player?
Can you lose in some way?

You came here to ask for help?  You're going to be drowned in brainstorms with no code.
hm... I have always been fond of the school roguelike type sim, maybe it could have multiple endings based on different things in game?
Ala, you mixed a set of ingrediants and created some giga-spell as one, or perhaps even a simple 'yea, you graduated' type thing after a certain amount of days or turns pass?.
Definitely agree with the randomized ingrediant idea though, and that some spells must be found through just mixing.

(also I use Visual Studios for C++)
We could always keep a point system that handles the pros and the cons that a player has (due to actions or inactions) and then use that to give a ranking.
I think that some sort of competition usually makes a game enjoyable... some sort of Damocles sword that will get you if you hang around too much.  So you're not able to, like in some rpgs, practice forever until you're so powerful that it's boring.

Limiting the game to an amount of days, turns, or a random event at a determined time range may be a nice idea to keep it simple and goal oriented.

E.g. You have to have enough knowledge for the exam day.
E.g. you have to have enough defensive magic skills in 3-4 months because your school may be attacked at the time...

So I got this idea...;)

Too bad you're going the rogue-like/no graphics route, because that is the only thing I am good at. :(
Don't worry davion.   If we manage to finish this off... next project will be a game with graphics... I just don't want to bite more than we can chew right now... YOu can still help with brainstorming...
ID: 2-BAY12_TOWN_BUILDER
ID: The Bay12 Town Builder

Armed with pick, shovel, axe, and hoe, set out to build a town!

Simulator game?

Sandbox game with unique resources.

Have a map generator create world's for the player. Player starts in a town with just enough food to make it from the town to the map edges, a pick, shovel, axe, and hoe. The goal of the game is to move til' you find the location that you want, and then build a city. At first it would be scrounging around for food and making crude shelter. You could dig in any direction to find metals like in DF. You can plow the ground and plant any seeds you could find. You can cut down trees, grow trees, climb up trees. Kind of a mix between Haven & Hearth, and DF adventure mode.
I'm glad you liked DF  :D
Heaven & earth looks like an interesting concept.  I'll have a look at it.

1) Who are you? Are you alone?
2) How does the city grow? 
3) Whats your goal? (I know what sandbox means, don't worry)
4) Can you lose?  What stands against your goal? 
Quote from: qwertyuiopas
I could try to help...
I have plenty of experience with C and openGL using MinGW, and could probablt tolerate C++.
Great.  :)  It seems that we could really use your help.
The issue I see with all OOP in general is that it is supposed to break everything into more logical chunks to make it easier to work with, but some people take it too far in some cases.
Dont worry about it.  We'll all have our say about the game structures once we get to the design stage.
If you wanted to make a roguelike, it would be quite possible for me to write a graphical front-end that gives a full 256^3 range of foreground and background colours in a screen that is not forced to be 80x25. All you would need is to give it the char and color data(unsigned char[4] would probably work best for each color, though you could store all of it as unsigned char[9], with full background and transparency,unsigned char[8] assuming the bg is allways non-transparent, and so on...)
I don't quite get what you're saying... about the 80x25 forcing... I know that it's the default console window but we can override that.  Can you explain to me it's relation with color permutations?
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 12:45:01 pm »

by the way... Jack_Bread told me that my test didnt work in his computer.

Has anyone else tried it?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 01:01:07 pm »

1).You are the Royal Under-Funded Architect and the Town Zoning and Construction Officer. For the most part you are a lone operator, perhaps you might be able to buy NPC blacksmiths, farmers, and guards in the late game.
2). The city would only grow by your actions, I.E. for the city to grow into a trade capitol, you're going to have to build roadways for the merchants, stables for the horses, etc. and hire the occasional NPC to take a bit of the work away while you build.
3). The goal is to make the city you desire to make, and not much else.
4). Defeat is possible if a creature or random disaster kills you. Occasional mine collapses, roaming creatures and bandits, soldiers from an NPC city attacking, starvation, dehydration.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 01:11:01 pm »

I don't quite get what you're saying... about the 80x25 forcing... I know that it's the default console window but we can override that.  Can you explain to me it's relation with color permutations?

What I am saying, is that it would be quite possible for me to write a simple DF-like window rather than use PDcurses.
Generally, if you could write the game where the interface is semi-modular, I could give you the full spectrum of colors and let you se a custom caracter set. Even mouse support if you wanted it.

Here is an example from an old roguelike that I never really got anywhere with.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eh?
Eh!

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 01:16:09 pm »

What I am saying, is that it would be quite possible for me to write a simple DF-like window rather than use PDcurses.
Generally, if you could write the game where the interface is semi-modular, I could give you the full spectrum of colors and let you se a custom caracter set. Even mouse support if you wanted it.

Here is an example from an old roguelike that I never really got anywhere with.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ok.  That clears it.  I assumed you were saying something like that but wasn't too sure.  It's a viable and cool option that we'll decide later.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 04:50:46 pm by Alexhans »

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Game Project. Who would like to join? (BRAINSTORMING STAGE)
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 04:56:17 pm »

I'm writing some ideas down and I'm gonna post them in an orderly fashion later.  I'll probably make a .doc with all the brainstorming ideas so we can later have a reference to them...

We could already start by using a SubVersion tracker for the documentation...

Do you know how to use those?
Wich do you prefer? Sourceforge? Googlecode? other?

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 06:56:29 pm »

SubVersion tracker? Whats that? (I told you I know diddly squat)

As for my brainstorming ideas, since most of them have persistent/changing worlds, I might as well join in.

ID: Persistent world & Epic Battle Simulator

THEME:A medievel world most likely, maybe with various other settings thrown in. Bit of a history sim.

TYPE: Action roguelike, with a bit of strategy

WHY IS IT FUN: You can see the results of your actions from battle to battle, you can screw around and see what happens.

IDEA: You are a great and mighty here from the land of Wherever. Your king has enlisted you to fight the evil InsertNameHeres. You must join your troops in battle, aided by your strategist JadedCynic. He will point out to you key targets to kill to aid your men in victory. However, the enemies are led by a hero of their own, GenericBadGuy, who has to do the same thing to your troops. Run around trying to maintain your army's advantage over theirs, while stymying that vicious GenericBadGuy in his tracks.

GAMEPLAY: You control one (particularly powerful) character in an army (might get larger or smaller over time, depending). You are told important targets (might be hardcoded at first, then we'll look at randomising) to take out, such as fortified positions, archers, etc. The enemy soldiers don't pose much threat at first, and can be left to your underlings, but the enemy hero is trying to take out your important soldiers, and must be watched and taken care of if need be. Both heroes respawn after a time.

From battle to battle, the results are taken and fed into the next battle, which then determines difficulty, army size etc. So if you killed all the enemy generals last battle, the next battle they might be in a very poor tactical position, etc. You can approach the game in myriad different ways, whether that be kill everything, take out generals, take out archers etc., or you can play a mix. The soldiers can be given rubbish AI, but we'll want something good for the enemy hero so he can react in kind.

There, that's all done. I've had that floating around for WAY too long.

EDIT: Did I scare everyone else off or something? Also, I played the test game. A few issues. C asks for a direction to close doors, o just opens doors in the vicinity (And I'm sure the manual said c opened doors) The automatic walk into a door thing worked fine. As for the inventory, if you picked up two of the same item, it would leave a line in the inventory but not display anything. Finally, when I tried to scroll left, it worked, but when I subsequently tried to go right my dude just vanished of the screen, I couldn't go right. Up down worked fine. Apart from that, only aesthetic things, like your enemies not being given a name until after death (It's so much more fun to be a critic than to actually do anything  ;D)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:39:11 pm by deadlycairn »
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 08:13:27 pm »

That's great deadlycairn... :)

I've been pulling some interesting ideas out of my  head too... I just have to copy them from my notes and I will post them. 
There, that's all done. I've had that floating around for WAY too long.
lol, I know how it feels.  I don't really get the way in wich the main character acts... Do you lead soldiers, fight yourself while they act on their own (maybe you can give orders),

Movement of a lot of nearby units in realtime might prove a daunting task but all ideas help.   
So... you said you tested it... you used a specific language? 

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2009, 08:23:15 pm »

I tested your test roguelike. The other thing's entirely conceptual. You fight on your own, with other soldiers hanging around doing their thing automatically (although ordering them would be cool, I'm not sure how that would tie in, since I imagine them with pretty simple AI)

Not realtime either, think DF but going one step at a time (which will hopefully avoid any laggy stuff)

Oh, a final thing about your test roguelike. If you push a button the game doesn't realise (such as the numpad) the screen will update and your enemies will move around but you do nothing. Kinda confusing until I realised what was going on.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2009, 08:35:41 pm »

lol... now I get it...

Yeah... it's VERY buggy... I did it when I was learning c++ and never picked it up...

Doors open when you go near them... (GHOSTS!!!).
IIRC I started making doors open when you crossed them but then I addded a feature where you could open and close them and screwed things over... (you have to state a direction)

the scrolling thing happens due to not centering the screen around the main character.  If you save him out of the default game position you will not find view him until you scroll up or down.

there's no AI.  they just move randomly.

You only have to hit everyone 3 times and they die. 

features logs and position saving but not the state of the doors or inventory.

Have you changed the map names to use another one as TestFloor.map?  Try making your own too... and see how it should detect automatically all the objects... (remember, it opens "TestFloor.map" in the maps folder.)

the item thing is probably an empty string.

It's so much more fun to be a critic than to actually do anything
Hey! they're both really fun... And this kind of constructive critique REALLY helps development.

Anyway, that was just to give you a really simple sample of how something might be done....  That was fairly easy to do.  Now, if we design things through we may pull off a much better and professional application.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10