Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Dwarf fortress on TV tropes!  (Read 5804 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf fortress on TV tropes!
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2009, 02:29:12 pm »

I'm not so concerned about the trope names as the fact that the lists of examples have more obscure anime than they do classic lit, modern lit, modern non-scifi TV, and non-scifi movies put together.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2009, 05:41:37 pm »

Well, after that second post, they might manage to remember "otaku" means "worships the Japanese to an idiotic degree".  ::)

I don't worship them.
Conclusion: you can't tell when I'm joking.

My apologies. Sadly I've met too many otaku that would be serious in saying that.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2009, 05:53:38 pm »

I don't mind the obscure anime references, some are even amusing, but i do feel alot of references to other stuff are left out in favour of some weird obscure anime movie/series that lasted only a few minutes/chapters, and that only a few fans would notice/care for.

Its like going to a restaurant and talking about the first episode of the transformers series hoping everyone would care/understand what you're saying.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2009, 07:15:47 pm »

The short, succinct, relevant but obscure anime examples I can deal with. It's when the tropers write obsessively long examples on something that, apparently, someone is very interested in but barely fits the trope in the first place. For instance, a Dragonball example that is over 1400 words long. Just LOOK at that thing.

Tenebrais

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2009, 07:46:52 pm »

I'm not so concerned about the trope names as the fact that the lists of examples have more obscure anime than they do classic lit, modern lit, modern non-scifi TV, and non-scifi movies put together.

Well, you can generally skip over the first section completely without reading it. I tend to, because I am familiar with maybe 4 animes. But only if they're using translated names. I generally don't bother.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2009, 04:45:25 am »

I'll admit Tvtropes has a lot of anime geeks. The Japanese names for personality traits and for Nakama have been the subjects of a lot of rename debates lately, but they've been tending to stick-the rename process is extremely democratic, and renaming tends to require a supermajority before anything gets done. Nakama was the subject of a *long* debate, frankly. The problem was that nobody had a really kickass alternative that encapsulated the perceived undertones of "nakama," aside from the Hawaiian loanword "ohana", which had the exact same problem of being a foreign-language loanword which not all readers would be familiar with.

Some of those rename debates get kinda dumb sometimes.

Anyhow, yeah. There's a lot of anime/sci fi geeks that browse and edit, so the majority of examples tend to be anime and sci fi.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2009, 09:37:42 am »

Well, you can generally skip over the first section completely without reading it. I tend to, because I am familiar with maybe 4 animes. But only if they're using translated names. I generally don't bother.

Yeah... it doesn't bug me too bad when they use the tree view and highlight the 'Anime' section, but a lot of times it's pretty jumbled up.

Actually, Nakama works pretty well for me, since it seems to mean exactly the right thing, and band of brothers is... blah.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2009, 10:04:15 am »

The problem with the "means exactly the same" explanation, is that the Nakama entry seems to go an extra mile beyond even the other anime-laden pages to describe the concept in the most anime-centric ways possible.  To the extent that a non-anime person would be hard pressed to recognize the idea as supposedly the same.

Actually, that's how it goes for much of the site.  I get that most of the editors are fans of anime and sci-fi more than other stuff - it is the Internet after all.  It's just the way so many articles seem to be written as if they expect only other otaku and sci-fi (and Joss Whedon) supernerds to ever read anything, and assume complete familiarity from the get-go even as they describe their chosen obsession in such lavish terms.

And at this point, the thread really ought to move over to General Discussion.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2009, 10:33:49 am »

Well, after that second post, they might manage to remember "otaku" means "worships the Japanese to an idiotic degree".  ::)

I don't worship them.
Conclusion: you can't tell when I'm joking.

My apologies. Sadly I've met too many otaku that would be serious in saying that.

Yeah, I know loads of them too (I'm the treasurer of my college anime soc).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2009, 03:21:53 pm »

Worse yet is that TVtropes will often go for an obscure name for a trope instead of something more conventional that people could likely guess to find.

For example Badass Decay used to be called Spikification or something like that. So yay, someone would not only have to be a buffy fan but also one ingrained in the internet buffy community.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2009, 03:23:54 pm »

"What ares youse lookin' at bub?!"
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 03:57:07 pm by ToonyMan »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2009, 03:42:40 pm »

Only 30 minutes.  That's gotta be a record, or at least a personal best.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2009, 06:14:12 pm »

The other day, I clicked a link, and then realized what I'd done, and hit the X the second after the page loaded.

I could not feel more badass if I'd swatted away a tiger.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2009, 11:08:37 pm »

The other day, I clicked a link, and then realized what I'd done, and hit the X the second after the page loaded.

I could not feel more badass if I'd swatted away a tiger.
:o
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 2 [3]