Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: RESOLVED: tile border lines  (Read 5727 times)

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What are all these lines doing on my screen!
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 01:03:47 am »

..Moving away from the insults, think you could show me your ini, then?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 06:17:36 am »

..I don't understand this thread.

The gridlines exist. They're perfectly obvious, if you do even a little bit of zooming.

The reason they exist is this:
- At first, 40d used a separate texture for each tile. No lines, but slow.
- Then 40d2 used a single texture catalog for all the tiles. If it was zoomed even slightly (eg. by miscalculating init.txt), the texture calculations would be somewhat off and the tile colors next to the one being drawn would bleed into the edges. Worked around in the common (non-zoomed) case by using NEAREST instead of LINEAR filtering.
- Then 40d..12? added zooming, which made the problem staggeringly obvious. NEAREST looks really ugly with zooming, so the default was set to LINEAR. To prevent the bleed I added a one-pixel border around each tile, which produced a black grid instead. The border's black, see.
- And now, in 40d14 or 40d13-head, I've rewritten the texture code to make the border have the actual color value of the pixel just inside, which prevents both bleed and border.

Is that clear?

Those who don't see it probably just don't use zoom, or only zoom out.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 10:40:36 am »

Now! This looks exactly like normal 40d, which I use. The grids are unique to the region map, no?

No; if you look at the screen borders, you'll see that the "grid" comes from the edges of the screen; it's not something special with the region map.  You do see the vertical lines covering the grey header at the top of the screen, right?

Which by the way, you must scroll to see. Protip, using Flickr will let you scale the images which is nice. At the very least it wouldn't hurt to add 'please scroll to see the problem' or something, especially since most people don't use the region map.

Some of us use higher resolution monitors than others and don't need to scroll. :)

Anyway, I'm not honestly not sure what makes the grid on the border (and presumably everywhere else, but it's black so can't see it) go AWAY like the first screenshot (in which again, you can only notice the not-grid on the border, so its easy to miss). The default seems to be with grids (which aside from the borders and region map, I can't even see with Mayday tileset) so I have no idea what you did to make them go away.

That's the funny thing. It's not about making it "go away", it's more a question now of "how did it ever get there in the first place?" I played df for 6 months and with my last reinstall it just showed up.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 12:24:21 pm »

Some of us use higher resolution monitors than others and don't need to scroll. :)
We're happy for you.  No, really.  My laptop does not have a "make the screen higher res so zerogravitas doesn't have to bother being considerate" option though.  And though it seems futile to explain this to you by now, not annoying the people you want help from would seem a fairly obvious thing to do.  Yes, humans do care about the way you treat other humans beyond themselves.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 01:43:26 pm »

I'd appreciate it if everybody chilled out in here.  ZeroGravitas has received a warning for the first over-the-top reply.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 01:57:55 pm »

Now can people see the problem? While I agree ZeroGravitas should not have exploded, it was a rather blatant and obvious problem. I must question the version ZeroGravitas is using, as the latest DF version on the front page does not have the openGL updates such as zooming and such. This is likely not the latest experimental version.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 02:25:35 pm »

Not to worry. I noticed the problem quite a while ago, and it is fixed. You just have to wait for d14.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 02:28:59 pm »

Not to worry. I noticed the problem quite a while ago, and it is fixed. You just have to wait for d14.

Thanks Braughn, I appreciate your help in this.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 03:43:09 pm »

We're happy for you.  No, really.  My laptop does not have a "make the screen higher res so zerogravitas doesn't have to bother being considerate" option though.  And though it seems futile to explain this to you by now, not annoying the people you want help from would seem a fairly obvious thing to do.  Yes, humans do care about the way you treat other humans beyond themselves.

As I already explained, the people I was "annoying" are the people who are completely incapable of helping because they are incapable of recognizing the problem in the first place.

spokehedz

• Bay Watcher
  • Boy Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2009, 02:07:26 am »

Seriously, sometimes I think these are the stupidest forums on the internet.
And that's how we bloody like it!

*goes back to encasing a elven fortress with magma, and flinging kittens with his Dwarven Atom Smasher into the bottomless pit, while his fortress of Orthoclase stands off in the distance.*
Quote from: LordBaxter
Once a stair fell, and rather than knock him one or two z levels down, as usually was the case, he went rolling down the central staircase, hit the bottom and exploded.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 02:42:37 am »

As I already explained, the people I was "annoying" are the people who are completely incapable of helping because they are incapable of recognizing the problem in the first place.

Just because those people are unable to help you does not make them less worthy of respect or consideration. You can't just be a jerk to those who have nothing to offer you.

Now, your question has been asked and answered. Did you have something else to ask or are you now just posting for fun?

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 07:24:30 pm »

Aww i got insulted...
Well i never noticed the lines because thats how it is always for me.

I use the tileset so that might be why.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 09:36:48 pm »

Aww i got insulted...
Well i never noticed the lines because thats how it is always for me.

I use the tileset so that might be why.

This is what I assumed, that people didn't notice the lines because many people have had them for a while and gotten used to them. I suspect most people who replied asking what lines you meant were looking for some sort of grid lines across the play area. The border of the window isn't all that important, and likely wasn't what they were looking at.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 09:39:14 pm »

You sir are correct.
I was looking at the game window looking for some annoyance.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:55 pm »

You sir are correct.
I was looking at the game window looking for some annoyance.

Ditto.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4