Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: RESOLVED: tile border lines  (Read 5776 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: What are all these lines doing on my screen!
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2009, 06:14:16 am »

Anyways, I do see grid-lines too in the game area. Look carefully at the wagon, for example.  ???
I see the ropes that strain the wagon canopy. ;-)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2009, 04:01:25 pm »

It looks like it only happens with tiles that are used to color the entire square, as the game title, FPS meter, idler count, and altimeter are unaffected. Therefore, one can theoretically go to the tileset and widen the afflicted character(s) and your symptoms should pass.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2009, 06:04:58 pm »

The lines appear only in tileset version as far as i know.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2009, 06:47:55 pm »

The lines appear only in tileset version as far as i know.
So he was the engineer of his own misfortune?

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2009, 09:50:02 pm »

Yes.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2009, 04:51:48 pm »

40d13 has a black border around every tile. If that doesn't match the actual tile border, that leads to artifacts when the tile is stretched.

40d14 does it right.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2009, 11:23:03 pm »

Ok, so here's how the people in this thread can best solve their problems: read the last few posts. If there's mention that the problem has been solved you should leave the thread alone and if you can't tell what the problem is from the first post or any of the last couple you either start reading all the posts or you leave this thread alone.

But since we all know that's not going to happen (since you'd have to already be reading the last few posts to see this,) there's one other course of action that can stop people from posting in a thread that was resolved on the first page: edit the first post (and put that edit up at the top since we know you don't trust people to even read all the way through the first post.) Probably even throw a ":resolved" into the title.

*locking the thread would also be a good idea but it will always take longer for a forum's moderation to do that than for the thread creator who yells at people for missing the obvious to edit their post.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2009, 06:27:05 am »

It's a feature, not a bug. Those lines are like grids.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2009, 06:58:01 pm »

It looks like it only happens with tiles that are used to color the entire square, as the game title, FPS meter, idler count, and altimeter are unaffected. Therefore, one can theoretically go to the tileset and widen the afflicted character(s) and your symptoms should pass.

TO REITERATE: based on your screenshot, the "gridlines" only appear with the following characters: █, ░, ▒, and ▓.

THEREFORE: the issue is with the tileset you are using, not the game itself.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2009, 08:30:36 pm »

TO REITERATE: based on your screenshot, the "gridlines" only appear with the following characters: █, ░, ▒, and ▓.

Wrong.  Listen to Baughn.  He knows what he programmed in. 

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2009, 11:00:08 am »

40d13 has a black border around every tile. If that doesn't match the actual tile border, that leads to artifacts when the tile is stretched.

40d14 does it right.

He says it's around every tile, but it doesn't appear in the game title, FPS meter, idler count, or the altimeter.

It's likely the issue is with the tileset he's using, as some have borders around the █ character:

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2009, 12:30:02 pm »

That's due to a misunderstanding the renderer.

Most of the tiles aren't solid; that is to say, their border pixels are typically all-black. This includes the FPS meter, idler count, etc. - numbers, letters and such.

The reason their borders don't appear to be black is because DF proceeds to apply a background color to the tile, but this color is rendered independently of the tile itself. Texture border issues only affect the foreground color, which exists on the border only in a relatively few tiles.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2009, 10:13:27 pm »

Ok, so here's how the people in this thread can best solve their problems: read the last few posts. If there's mention that the problem has been solved you should leave the thread alone and if you can't tell what the problem is from the first post or any of the last couple you either start reading all the posts or you leave this thread alone.

But since we all know that's not going to happen (since you'd have to already be reading the last few posts to see this,) there's one other course of action that can stop people from posting in a thread that was resolved on the first page: edit the first post (and put that edit up at the top since we know you don't trust people to even read all the way through the first post.) Probably even throw a ":resolved" into the title.

*locking the thread would also be a good idea but it will always take longer for a forum's moderation to do that than for the thread creator who yells at people for missing the obvious to edit their post.

It's possible we enjoy discussing the issue even after it's been solved, but thank you for your pro tip.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 02:51:07 am »

The issue isn't that people keep talking about it, it's that they keep talking about it while ignoring what Baughn says and/or without entertaining the idea that someone who has viewed and been working on the rendering code might know how it works better than they would.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 08:48:42 pm »

40d14 does it right.

He says it's around every tile, but it doesn't appear in the game title, FPS meter, idler count, or the altimeter.

It's likely the issue is with the tileset he's using, as some have borders around the █ character:

The tileset I'm using? Do you not know the default tiles when you see them?

In case this wasn't clear earlier, I used the default tiles before I had this problem, and I was still using them when this problem appeared.

Braughn already solved this thread. I'm curious why you are still posting (which is why I am still posting). I'm completely flabbergasted that this is still being discussed, far after the issue was obviously resolved.

I apologize for calling these the "stupidest forums on the internet" but I have to agree with G-Flex:

which is a more polite way of telling people they're stupid.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]