Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Bay 12 Recorded Call/Podcast/Whatever: Questions For Toady  (Read 41708 times)

ggeezz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call/Podcast/Whatever: Questions For Toady
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 08:34:05 am »

What are your thoughts on making the UI more malleable and possibly somewhat forward compatible?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:02:58 pm by ggeezz »

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 12:37:38 pm »

How long do you think you will be adding new features/gutting the whole code?

To what lengths do you go to achieve efficient(measured by CPU cycles) algorithms?

How open are you to more player base contributions to code such as current SDL/OpenGL endeavor?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 12:41:12 pm »

How exactly long, wide and tall is a tile in DF? Are they cubes? This is important for visualizing....
There's a can of Woolly Maggots.
I've tried to figure that out myself but as I understand it Toady One has no official stance on it- might be interesting to hear it from the man himself.

My question: What kinds of suggestions do you find the most helpful? That is, are suggestions about sub-bloats such as specific new items like plates and toys, or suggestions more on the high-level scale like "us this pathfinding algorithm instead..."
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 12:48:24 pm »

I know you've said that you would like to be able to keep as much in the raws as you can, but especially with the new creature raws it seems like as development goes on that will mean that creating a new creature will become more and more complex. What do you see as a good balance point for extensibility of the raws vs. ease-of-use, and why?
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Benny

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Poster
    • View Profile
    • retrojaffa
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2009, 01:10:50 pm »

What are your thoughts on making the UI more malleable and forward compatible?

just gotta say +1 to this. in the eternal suggetion thing theres an option for turning the menus into a .xml format and allow modders to make the ui themselves. seems like a good idea to draw more people in (People with more donations \o/) and to take an extra level of work off Toady (meaning he can concentrate on making cooler things ^_^)
On this post is an image of Benny in Obsidian. Benny is typing a reply

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2009, 01:58:54 pm »

How exactly long, wide and tall is a tile in DF? Are they cubes? This is important for visualizing....
There's a can of Woolly Maggots.
I've tried to figure that out myself but as I understand it Toady One has no official stance on it- might be interesting to hear it from the man himself.
I always figured that it was 10-15 feet in each direction, except all the creatures are like Paper Mario and have no depth, so when they lie down they don't take up any space.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2009, 04:27:50 pm »

Is the month end project a full game? Is it a sequel?

A few months ago, we were asked what we considered to be the biggest barrier to entry for new players. What do YOU think the biggest barrier to entry is for new players?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 02:16:28 pm by Fikes »

Xanares

• Bay Watcher
  • Cut them all down!
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2009, 06:03:11 pm »

Having read your The Future section of the old Slaves to Armok site, where you mention orcs along with dwarves, I was wondering why they didn't make it into the game (yet)?

Reasoning:
They are often used as the "tougher than and close to same intellect as goblins" adversaries that also come in horde-flavour and as such can present a bigger challenge to the "good" players and create some mischief among the evil-aligned civs too.

edit: added colour to q
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 11:25:36 am by Xanares »

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2009, 06:55:16 pm »

Some good questions here, folks!  Keep bolding the questions, it makes it easier for us.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2009, 08:17:05 pm »

I have a hard time making it to the first winter because I want to micromanage so much that I get bored in my own micromanagement quickly.  What is the longest/ most interesting fortress that you have built?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2009, 08:18:21 pm »

I have a hard time making it to the first winter because I want to micromanage so much that I get bored in my own micromanagement quickly.  What is the longest/ most interesting fortress that you have built?

What!?! well this surprised me.

someone asking Toady how he plays his own game :P

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2009, 10:09:57 pm »

Am I the only one who noticed the color request?

With the work on bodies and stuff, will modding in completely unreasonable creatures still work? Could my civilization made entirely of fuzz whose only organ are a pair of eyes function?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2009, 10:38:19 pm »

Am I the only one who noticed the color request?

With the work on bodies and stuff, will modding in completely unreasonable creatures still work? Could my civilization made entirely of fuzz whose only organ are a pair of eyes function?

Thanks for the green!  Can I quote you that you want a kingdom of Tribbles?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

roundedge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 12:00:27 am »

I'm pleased we're doing an interview from the fans. Those guys that did the last interview weren't very good. They didn't do very much research, one hadn't even played the game, if I remember correctly. And then they kept interrupting you whenever you tried to speak, and just started telling stories like "this one time, I thought my dog was a donkey, lolz", I got really annoyed with them and had to stop listening about 3/4 of the way through.

Now, on to my questions

When starting a game, what is your software architecture approach? How do you keep your code organized with such an enormous project which appears to develop relatively organically?

oops, the fire alarm is going off at my school, I'll have to continue this post later.

Emeralddragon2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 01:25:14 am »

When starting a game, what is your software architecture approach? How do you keep your code organized with such an enormous project which appears to develop relatively organically?

oops, the fire alarm is going off at my school, I'll have to continue this post later.
I second this question! I'd like to know how a retired mathematician handles his code. (Because toady is a retired mathematician right? That's what I heard.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6