Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Bay 12 Recorded Call/Podcast/Whatever: Questions For Toady  (Read 41714 times)

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
Re: Bay 12 Recorded Call/Podcast/Whatever: Questions For Toady
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2009, 10:57:39 am »

I'm going to ask this here because I know you guys want to hear the calibur of question I'm going to be asking Toady:

Is magnetite armor going to be picking up silverware in the dining room when the restaurant arc is complete?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2009, 08:37:19 pm »

I'm going to ask this here because I know you guys want to hear the calibur of question I'm going to be asking Toady:

Is magnetite armor going to be picking up silverware in the dining room when the restaurant arc is complete?

I believe the answer is no since magnetic reactions are complicated (Magnets don't attract metal exactly). Add on that there is no Restaurant Arc

So you may want to refine your question to asking Toady if there will be magnets. I know there is no Restaurant Arc though, but you probably meant when he works on dining so make sure you refer to Dining not as an arc.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:51:27 pm by Neonivek »

Zengief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2009, 08:52:24 pm »

I believe the answer is no since magnetic reactions are complicated (Magnets don't attract metal exactly). Add on that there is no Restaurant Arc
I am pretty sure Rainseeker was trying to lighten the heavy mood of the questions since he is one of the people who will be interviewing Toady.  In that vein:
If I put a bag of seeds in my cabinet made from blocks of water, can I grow some hydroponic veggies?

Also, will the Scamps Demi-God have just one set of claws or 2?

Do the megabeasts mate and reproduce? Why not? It might lead to interesting variations

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2009, 10:02:50 pm »

I am pretty sure Rainseeker was trying to lighten the heavy mood of the questions since he is one of the people who will be interviewing Toady.  In that vein:
If I put a bag of seeds in my cabinet made from blocks of water, can I grow some hydroponic veggies?

Also, will the Scamps Demi-God have just one set of claws or 2?

Do the megabeasts mate and reproduce? Why not? It might lead to interesting variations

Yes, my question was thoroughly tongue-in-cheek.  ;)

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2009, 10:08:03 pm »

I actually kind of like this question.  Though it would probably never happen in fortress mode, it might make sense in world gen.  Although, it would only take two dragons to have babies that eventually make a world populated ONLY by dragons.  Or hydras.  Or giant bunny-headed cow-hoofed tentacled monstrocities.  :o

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2009, 01:28:24 am »

Why is Zach writing stories with less frequency? Is he taking longer to write them, doing something else instead, or does he just not like writing them?
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Kuromimi505

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 14, 2009, 12:09:19 pm »

Would you consider making DF a low-cost shareware? Many independent programmers are, would this allow you to work on your DF project much more and eliminate other distractions in your life if DF made you money? Older version free, current version $3, all upcoming versions until a major update $10, lifetime membership $XX?

Personally I would very much support DF becoming non-freeware if it would let you work on DF more.

And I'll second this question:
Overly verbose questions from Aqizzar-

Weird business on the forum has been a recurring distraction.  Without going into future plans or recriminations, how do you view the membership your forum has attracted?  Or Dwarf Fortress' whole audience?
Does forum management and dealing with flame wars distract you from working on DF?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 14, 2009, 12:29:24 pm »

So you may want to refine your question to asking Toady if there will be magnets. I know there is no Restaurant Arc though, but you probably meant when he works on dining so make sure you refer to Dining not as an arc.

I believe it was a joke.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 14, 2009, 01:44:58 pm »

Would you consider making DF a low-cost shareware? Many independent programmers are, would this allow you to work on your DF project much more and eliminate other distractions in your life if DF made you money? Older version free, current version $3, all upcoming versions until a major update $10, lifetime membership $XX?

Personally I would very much support DF becoming non-freeware if it would let you work on DF more.

You do realize that coding DF is Toady's fulltime job, and that DF is not shareware but donationware... and yet it still earns him enough to pay the bills.  He publishes all his financial records too-- check out the announcements forum.  I'm pretty sure he earns more than I do at my technical support desk job.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2009, 08:14:00 pm »

When will we see the ability to control buildable Z-levels?
In other words, having an init option that counts the number of levels generated above/below Z that are build able. Aboveground levels would just be empty sky, but for below ground levels the game would need to generate new stone layers.

Currently you get 15 build able levels above the highest point and below the lowest point. If you could control this you could set surface build able levels to something like 60 and be able to build a massive 60 level tower. Alternately you could modify the below ground build able levels. In which case you could dig out a giant cathedral or something underground.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2009, 10:50:06 pm »

Is there going to be an arena room at any point, where you can organize fights and make dwarves get a happy thought for watching/winning?

I'd like this.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2009, 11:17:09 am »

just designate the arenafloor a barracks, sparring is plenty deadly as it stands. ;)
and if you designate the viewing galleries as meetingspace, with plenty of expensive stuff and waterfall entries, happy thoughts for everyone!
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2009, 12:09:51 pm »

just designate the arenafloor a barracks, sparring is plenty deadly as it stands. ;)
and if you designate the viewing galleries as meetingspace, with plenty of expensive stuff and waterfall entries, happy thoughts for everyone!

Ugh. No.

Sparring isn't very.. It isn't very...
Arena-like. It's just two dwarves fighting in the confines of their bedroom. I want an arena with a pit that you can designate animals to be released in.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2009, 10:46:37 am »

I heard Toady mention something about arenas in the last pod cast, it sounded like he wanted to put them in somehow.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Digitalghost

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2009, 10:53:08 am »

Hey Toady,

I noticed in the podcast you mentioned Upper Confidence bounds applied to Trees (UCT) search.  Since using UCT on board games is a part of my PhD research, I have to ask:

Using a reinforcement learning algorithm like UCT, it would be possible to search into the future and produce more intelligent behavior (for example, you might find out that every time the goblin raiders move into the top entrance of the player fortress, they get trapped and flooded, so choose the other entrance).  The challenge is that you would probably have to simulate futures of the world while the current world is playing in realtime (for UCT) or you would have to learn from replaying past mistakes (for something like Q-learning), both of which take a lot of processor and memory.  Do you think that learning algorithms have a place in Dwarf Fortress, and are you pursuing anything along those lines?

As an aside, it would rock if you opened up some kind of API so people could script machine learning algorithms into DF, but that's probably really hard to do at this stage of development.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6