Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: On the Nature of Death  (Read 3751 times)

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
On the Nature of Death
« on: July 10, 2009, 02:14:26 am »

I'm sure that no matter what your religious beliefs are, you accept death as inevitable. Humans have proven that they can gleefully ignore the world they new metaphorically going up in flames. When you hear that 12 soldiers died today in some far-off country on the news, you most likely say something like "That's terrible." and brush it off.

However, when someone is referred to in human terms "A U.S. soldier with a wife and two daughters, 28 years old, would have come home next month." something deep inside you feels upset. Someone in your immediate family has died, you may spend years in mourning. It all boils down to this:

The more you know about someone the more valuable they are.

The thought that so many wonderful traits have disappeared, that the community has lost so much, makes you feel sick. I have determined that this is a biological impulse that would cause you to want to defend the community, so that it can thrive.

I seem to lack this. I never dwell on a death for more than a few minutes. Even when my beloved uncle died around a month ago, I didn't let it interrupt my fun. My respect goes to the dead, but not my happiness. I suppose that after spending the last few years contemplating death, that I have rendered myself immune to the death around me, as I have acknowledged that pretty much everyone I care about is going to die before me.

Does anyone else feel this way? Do you have any particular theories on the effect of death on the living?
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: On the Nature of Death
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 02:17:57 am »

I'm sure that no matter what your religious beliefs are, you accept death as inevitable.
WRONG.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2009, 02:19:37 am »

yea, i started feeling like that when my grandparents died when i was 5. seems a bit early but they where very close to me. i think that after people have been traumatized to an extent, they become used to tragedy (sorry if thats misspelled, all so no pun intended) seems to happen to some as they get older, and sooner if close loved ones have died when they where young.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009, 02:33:27 am »

I don't know about you but I plan to live forever.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 02:37:15 am »

I'm sure that no matter what your religious beliefs are, you accept death as inevitable.
WRONG.
Yes. For example, posthumanists.

I haven't actually ever had anyone important die on me, so take this whit a BIG grain of salt, but I think I to wouldn't grieve if someone died. I'd pretend to for social reasons, and I might get a big unhappy thought from the loss of specific utility and resources invested in befriending that person, but I don't really get sentimental, and I certainly don't consider genetic ties to be of any moral or emotional relevance. Sure, I'd throw a tantrum, but I do that when my computer crashes to.

On the topic of this thread, you might be interested in http://www.cracked.com/article_14990_what-monkeysphere.html.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 02:56:56 am »

I haven't actually ever had anyone important die on me, so take this whit a BIG grain of salt, but I think I to wouldn't grieve if someone died.

I haven't really either, but I know I'd grieve extremely hard if someone I was close to died, hell I can't even take a pet dieing without getting a bit fucked up for a day or two.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 06:05:14 am »

My dad died about a year back now and I can honestly say it had absolutely no impact on me whatsoever. Which is kind of weird because I'm probably the only one in my family who didn't really bat an eyelid.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 06:06:58 am »

My dad died about a year back now and I can honestly say it had absolutely no impact on me whatsoever. Which is kind of weird because I'm probably the only one in my family who didn't really bat an eyelid.
Same here... except it was my grandpa... and it was 9 years ago.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 06:51:37 am »

Surprisingly many like this around, perhaps something about DF...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 07:09:27 am »

My last remaining grandpa died when I was 2.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2009, 08:02:17 am »

I was pretty unhappy after my Grandad Jack died.
Still, he'd been almost housebound for a few years with emphysema, and he died pretty quickly at least.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2009, 08:42:25 am »

The more you know about someone the more valuable they are.
Orly?

Urist McTaxCollector likes Raw adamantine, Adamantine, Variscite, and admires cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume Silver Barb and Gutter Cruor.

He is constantly active and energetic. He is entirely adverse to risk and excitement. He dislikes helping others. He is in a constant state of internal rage. He often feels filled with joy. He is ruled by irresistible cravings and urges. He needs alcohol to get through the working day.

Now don't you like that noble sooooo much?

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 10:26:48 am »

It's hard to feel sympathy for a string of randomly generated words, Peewee.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 10:45:46 am »

I plan to live to three hundred or die trying.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2009, 12:38:42 pm »

I don't know about you but I plan to live forever.

Quote from: CEO Nwabudike Morgan
I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

As for accepting death... Yes, people die. Yes, some of them (and their friends/relatives) probably would rather they hadn't. I think, though, that the people that get overly upset about it are the people with the issue, not the people who are able to give their respect, comfort each other, and move on with their lives afterward. That seems like a much healthier response than years of grieving.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: [1] 2 3