Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: On the Nature of Death  (Read 3750 times)

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the Nature of Death
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 05:19:05 pm »

People die. We're hardwired not to like it when that happens, maybe because the knowledge that you will suffer if you lose someone a) makes you more fervent in helping and protecting them and b) makes it easier for them to believe that you really care about them. This is probably why a grandparent dying of old age is less upsetting than someone dying in midlife or adolescence.

And yeah, somebody you know, who is like you, dying is going to upset you more. You only form strong emotional attachments to people you know and associate with, and hearing news of some random person's death isn't going to trigger the same emotions because you didn't know and love that person.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 05:31:52 pm »

To be honest, I'm not particularly worried about death.  Of course, I wouldn't like to die soon, as there's a lot more living I want to do and I'm still young.  And I have my family to consider.  But when the time comes, I think I can accept it.  After all, the time before my birth wasn't so bad, and I didn't exist then.  Neither is the time I spend asleep every night, time when my consciousness is completely stopped.  There won't be peace in death - lacking conciousness means I won't be able to feel peace.  But it won't be bad, anyway.

Incidentally, even if the consciousness somehow survives and moves on, my memories won't go with it.  My brain stores all that, and my brain is going to medical research when I die, so the memories will be gone.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 05:54:33 pm »

To be honest, I'm not particularly worried about death.  Of course, I wouldn't like to die soon, as there's a lot more living I want to do and I'm still young.  And I have my family to consider.  But when the time comes, I think I can accept it.  After all, the time before my birth wasn't so bad, and I didn't exist then.  Neither is the time I spend asleep every night, time when my consciousness is completely stopped.  There won't be peace in death - lacking conciousness means I won't be able to feel peace.  But it won't be bad, anyway.

Incidentally, even if the consciousness somehow survives and moves on, my memories won't go with it.  My brain stores all that, and my brain is going to medical research when I die, so the memories will be gone.

I've had this discussion before, possibly with you but you're crazy. I hope to never ever die, ever.

Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 05:55:53 pm »

I would say that death isn't really a thing that should be feared.  The only thing I would really worry about is dying in a painful and nasty manner, but the fact that you won't be able to stop it if it happens means it's not really worth the mental exertion to do so.  Not that I would prefer death.  I don't plan on going anywhere any time soon, and living out my natural life certainly doesn't sound bad unless it involved considerable amounts of suffering.  That being said, I think the only 'true' peace anyone will ever know will be in death.  If there's an afterlife that functions anything like the current world, that won't be peace.  It'll just be a new set of hoops to jump through.  Mostly, though, I don't worry myself about it.  It's counterproductive to worry about dying.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 05:59:58 pm »

I'm living as long as possible, horrible pain or not.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 07:48:17 pm »

Man I'm going pretty good with the all not dieing and stuff.

Anyway:

The last time I cried was when my Grandfather died, a couple years ago. It's weird, I think I cried for the thought of never laughing with him, never enjoying being with him. A month later my Aunty died (same side), didn't bat an eye lid. I haven't had that many close people die to really think about how death affects me. I personally don't fear death, but I'm certainly... Nervous towards it, what with all the unknown and stuff.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 09:48:18 pm »

If I DO die, I hope I either go to Valhalla or be a ghost. Haunting sounds like fun.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 10:00:26 pm »

I doubt you'll go to Valhalla.

What with being a great war hero and all.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 10:05:15 pm »

I don't really care when I die, just that it isn't overly painful and I don't see it coming.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 10:11:22 pm »

I doubt you'll go to Valhalla.

What with being a great war hero and all.
Mabey he has plans for the future?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 10:14:47 pm »

Boredom is an enemy!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 10:52:06 pm »

WHEN I DO die, I hope I either go to Valhalla or be a ghost. Haunting sounds like fun.

Fixed the when/if problem(Derp derp siens is gunna mak me liv forevur jus wate)

Also, you have to die in battle to go to Valhalla.
Shoes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 11:14:41 pm »

Fine. CTHULU! I CHALLENGE THEE!

but seriously, I'll just destroy other people's boredom. That'll be a battle.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 04:05:17 am »

I "fear death" as you put it very much, not because I fear it in itself, but because I must finish my ToDo list first, and that list will take an amount of time probably best described in the Conway chained arrow notation to complete.
After that, I hopefully will go into an infinite loop, avoiding the issues whit both terminating and immortality as typically described.
As for it being just like sleep, I hate sleep, losing your memory and control is a horrible feeling, being left bare to the groping hands of the subconscious whit no ability to defend yourself, or even detect what has been done to you, it makes me tremble to even think about. No wonder I'm messed up, having to confront such nightmare fuel every single day.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 05:08:48 am »

"The only thing to fear, is fear itself."
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:10:35 am by Emperor_Jonathan »