Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Pedigree Dogs Exposed  (Read 7611 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Pedigree Dogs Exposed
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 12:43:17 pm »

I like my normal mongrels. They're cute, actually intelligent, and much easier to maintain.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 12:56:46 pm »

We've had two rottweilers here over time, the first one died of a heart attack screaming in agony. The Second one died of cancer slowly.

My Doberman/Collie Cross has outlived them both and still as energetic as a puppy.

Screw purebreeds.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 01:07:31 pm »

Seriously though, that stuff with the bonsai kittens is messed up shit.

Bonsai kittens aren't real.  The main bonsai kittens site even had a disclaimer saying it wasn't a real thing, and people still freaked out.

Urgh, my love of Boston Terriers is conflicting with the well-known fact that purebred dogs have a lot of health problems.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 01:27:35 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 05:27:34 pm »

The bonsai kittens thing was a joke/troll by rotten.com (remember them?) However, i don't think they anticipated the outburst of idiots who believed it.

On a related note, i have 3 cavalier kings Charles spaniels, and yes they do have pedigrees, but there is nothing wrong with them. The breeder was a old lady, and they don't have any defects or the like.

Our oldest cavalier died at the age of 10, which is a very good age for a pedigree dog. The first cavalier we had must have had a bad pedigree, it foamed at the mouth, and was generally nutty.  One day the dog just went nuts, wouldn't stop barking, and running around.

After an hour of this, the poor thing just dropped stone dead of a heart attack, right in front of me.

So, if you want a pedigree dog, check out that it has a good pedigree, or you will be wasting a lot of money, and helping bad pedigrees flourish.

Oh, and you will be helping the poor things suffer.
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 06:23:04 pm »

Anyone ever see that crazy series on about the hypothetical scenario if all of humanity disappeared at once?

There was a section that detailed that most breeds would die off, and the common mutt would be left to rule the cities.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 06:41:28 pm »

Anyone ever see that crazy series on about the hypothetical scenario if all of humanity disappeared at once?

There was a section that detailed that most breeds would die off, and the common mutt would be left to rule the cities.

Life after people, Also known as "Another shitty history channel show so they can show off CGI."
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2009, 06:48:27 pm »

The problem is Selective Breeding has become extreme and they are not interested in making healthy dogs but rather ones they think will sell.

Inbreeding shouldn't happen but they don't lose cash if their dogs become violent or develop expencive medical problems.

The Breeders arn't liable for their animals so why would they do otherwise?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2009, 06:49:08 pm »

Life after people, Also known as "Another shitty history channel show so they can show off CGI."

Or "Another show on the History Channel that has nothing to do with History."

I never thought I'd miss the old "Hitler Channel" days, but how many shows about Alaskan rednecks can there be?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2009, 06:53:32 pm »

I never thought I'd miss the old "Hitler Channel" days, but how many shows about Alaskan rednecks can there be?
Or "Another show on the History Channel That Would Be More Fitting For the Science Channel."

So yes, to summarize this thread:
 1. Not cool to selectively breed creed creatures in such a way that one feature is so dominant that overall health suffers, particularly if that one feature is for aesthetic reasons.
 2. Alright to selectively breed to make a creature practical. Like making wolves better-suited for whatever job/climate they will live in when domesticated.

Correct?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2009, 07:11:48 pm »

3. We don't like history channel.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2009, 07:22:22 pm »

Correct?

Well close enough for anyone to care...

Though I am not against breeding for Aestetic reasons. Just when it comes to the health and happyness of the animal and the people who have to take care of it. I also recognise that there is an unavoidable risk as well but the breeders should strive to minimalise it.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 07:34:43 pm by Neonivek »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2009, 09:46:54 pm »

There's a dog down in California where we keep the boat, I think he was a pound puppy that the owner picked up.

The dog's name is "Alf", and it does indeed stand for "Alien Life Form" in this case.  It is impossible to work out exactly what went into this dog, it has blended together so many different breeds that it has simply become the epitome of a "mutt".  Medium-small size, sandy color, and hair that looks like it's trying to be smooth, wiry and curly all at the same time.  Really cute pup, and very full of personality.  Haven't got a clue how old he is, but he's quite spry.

Originally I just thought that Alf was a one-off mixture, some blend brought together by pure chance that happened to make this kind of dog.  But then I saw a movie one time that had another dog that looked just like him, albeit with a slightly different facial structure.

This reminded me of some unsourced comment I'd heard before about how if dogs were allowed to "mutt-ify" themselves to their heart's content throughout several generations, the end result would all look the same.  Makes me wonder if there's actually some truth to that.

And no, he looks absolutely nothing like a wolf.  Not even if you're tripping out something fierce would that dog look like a wolf.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 09:50:16 pm »

Or "Another show on the History Channel That Would Be More Fitting For the Science Channel."

So yes, to summarize this thread:
 1. Not cool to selectively breed creed creatures in such a way that one feature is so dominant that overall health suffers, particularly if that one feature is for aesthetic reasons.
 2. Alright to selectively breed to make a creature practical. Like making wolves better-suited for whatever job/climate they will live in when domesticated.

Correct?

It's not the science channel, silly. It's the DISCOVERY channel.  ::)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 09:57:01 pm »

You do know there is indeed a science channel? Of course it consists mainly of this old Asian guy explaining the very basics of relativity and theoretical warp drives/teleportation, but it exists.

It is basically Discovery Channel but less fun.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 10:36:21 pm »

3. We don't like history channel.

I do
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10