Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Pedigree Dogs Exposed  (Read 7609 times)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Pedigree Dogs Exposed
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 12:25:17 am »

3. We don't like history channel.

I do

I'l just assume your trolling, because nobody likes the history channel.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 12:35:17 am »

I prefer genetic engineering over breeding anyway. Its not nearly as disgusting.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 12:46:00 am »

I prefer genetic engineering over breeding anyway. Its not nearly as disgusting.

Quiet CoD! If they start genetic engineer, it won't be long before we have super dogs that are fireproof and can lift buses and generally be a benefit to mankind!

Now, we wouldn't want that, now would we?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 01:38:49 am »

Both of my grandfathers had a mongrel. The one my Paternal grandfather owned lived for sooo long, but I hardly remember him, because I was so young. He was very old in my last memory of him, but still active and healthy. Big, shaggy, and pure black, extremely friendly.
!!&!!

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 05:12:03 am »

We got a crossbreed from a professional Borzoi/Afghan breeder (The litter was an accident, one of the Afghans got in with the Borzoi bitch). The dog we got, who is a complete moron even compared to the parent breeds is a runt, has a curved spine, some foot issues that I'm not totally sure about, has had to have surgery on her tail 4 times and at age 8 is starting to suffer major arthritis. Maybe she were just unlucky but I still wouldn't want to get one of the purebred dogs from that breeder, heh.

Still, we love our spoiled little moron, even if she busts her tail and sprays blood all over the place every couple of weeks. Our other dog is a fat little mutt whos mother was an almost purebred Maltese terrier we bought from a litter born on a dairy farm, the only problems he has is the fact that he's too damn lazy and has had to have a few rotting teeth pulled. Obvious little comparison there...

I really hate dog breeders/people who obsess over those dog shows, even if I love dogs. I'm yet to see any who actually genuinely like dogs for being doggy and see them as something other than tools for winning shows.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 05:14:25 am by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 08:04:37 am »

Heh, our current dog is a handful. Shes a little mutt, and one of her parents was apparently a non-domesticated dog. Shes tiny, but weighs nearly 60 pounds, and thats mostly MUSCLE. Shes maybe 1.5-2 feet tall at the shoulder, but we've had problems with her snapping the metal links in her leash/chain. Shes also really damn smart; within about a week and a half of us getting her, she had started shaking hands just from watching people. And within a week of getting back from the philippines, she had learned how to turn the bolt on our door and open it.

Now, on the topic of 'purebreed' dogs, they don't all have to be inbreed. Doberman Pinschers are an example of that, as we used to raise what my dad called 'warlocks' which were dobermans that had no genetic issues all the way up the line, and were pure breeds. Big dogs, anywhere from 120-160 pounds full grown. Of course, unless most dobermans are smaller, that other poster's Doberman/Collie mix is a bit disturbing  :D

. The dog we got, who is a complete moron even compared to the parent breeds is a runt, has a curved spine, some foot issues that I'm not totally sure about, has had to have surgery on her tail 4 times and at age 8 is starting to suffer major arthritis. Maybe she were just unlucky but I still wouldn't want to get one of the purebred dogs from that breeder, heh.

Still, we love our spoiled little moron, even if she busts her tail and sprays blood all over the place every couple of weeks.
We use to have a doberman who was dumb as bricks. Made even the other dogs look a bit small, as he was probably in the 200 pound range... but he was jsut plain stupid. He was really sweet and all, but he would run around the yard, looking over his shoulder to stare at the dogs chasing him... and then plow into a tree. Roughly 18,000$ dog, and we gave him away to a little girl who would come by every day and pet/play with him at the fence, because we couldn't afford to keep taking him to the vet, and he completely adored the little kid.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 08:08:47 am by Darkone »
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2009, 10:26:07 am »

My Mutt is a Genius, which is unfortunately a flaw as it means it can get into anything and has quickly learned that "No" often means "Not when we are around"

As for medical problems, he a weak hip and hind legs and it is being aggrivated by his old age. This may not be due to breeding though, it could be because we carried him WAY beyond the expected period.

As for medical mysteries, he is completely immune to Chocolate and has MORE then eaten enough to kill normal dogs (He is a small dog who has eaten Oreos and a whole Chocolate Orange)

My favorite part about him is that he is very well behaved (I let him demonstrate that he wants attention by pawing at people because he doesn't get as much attention as he deserves) and very quiet. He is very good around the cat who is nothing but a devil to him. He also never licks people which is a plus I guess, though I love Dog kisses so it is a minus for me.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2009, 12:54:13 pm »

Well most of our animals are rescues and tend to be mixes. Right now we got a german shepard mix, and a mutt. Now our mutt has quite a history around her thats a great example of the abuse people put these more animals through and a dogs ability to rebound. See when we got her she had been shot in the rear back leg along with another dog, at the the time she had been a stray while the other dog that was shot was owned, the owned dog's leg had to be amputated while ours managed to only have a small 1-2 inche divot when it healed up. Also whoever had her before she was a stray abused her because she had markings all over her face and her teeth were ground down to nubs presumably from chewing on a chain. She was so scared of people, particularly males, when we first got her and now you wouldn't reconize her. Shes the most lovable friendly dog ever considering what she came from. Unfortunatly though the person who perivously owned her and whoever shot her were never found.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2009, 03:14:18 pm »

My English Mastiff was a purebred, and he lived almost 13 years, which is approaching the record for a Mastiff.  He was really smart, too.  When he was younger he learned to open the screen door to the backyard and could even open doors with knobs.  He stopped doing that after a while though.
Shoes...

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2009, 03:57:45 pm »

Quiet CoD! If they start genetic engineer, it won't be long before we have super dogs that are fireproof and can lift buses and generally be a benefit to mankind!

Now, we wouldn't want that, now would we?

The thing that scares me most about a genetically engineered super dog is the ones who can't understand that they're too big to be lap dogs. D:

My only experience with purebreeds was lucky I guess. :) We got ahold of a boxer, supposedly purebred, via a dog rescue group and she was amazing--a little scared of us at first and she hid under our beds for a long time, but once she came out she was a really great dog. Very easy to handle and gentle with my younger siblings. We got her when she was about 15 years old and she lived for about five years longer before dying peacefully of old age. If I could own another dog like her I would be very content.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2009, 04:27:39 pm »

I had an Einstein of a mutt before. He figured out not only how to open the doors outside, but also how to open the pantry doors, and figured out which shelf we kept his dog food and his biscuits on. Later on in life, he figured out how to open the fridge.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2009, 04:34:39 pm »

I had an Einstein of a mutt before. He figured out not only how to open the doors outside, but also how to open the pantry doors, and figured out which shelf we kept his dog food and his biscuits on. Later on in life, he figured out how to open the fridge.

Ah, but could it then close those doors?  I believe that is the mark of an intelligent dog.  Any dog can figure out where stuff is kept and how to knock or pry open a container.  It's shutting it behind them that's the real trick, since dogs would consider "barrier open" to be the natural state of all containers.  I say this because I too had a dog that could open any door put in front of it, but completely missed the concept of closing things.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2009, 06:13:36 pm »

Yeah while alot of people want very intelligent dogs you actually want one closer to dumb then WAY into Genius.

Though not all the way to stupid because you want it to learn manners.

My Brother is kinda stupid when it comes to Dog intelligence. He thinks our dog is a moron because he doesn't learn tricks just by hearing commands. Which is impossible. Though it COULD be because the Dog likes him despite the fact that he sheds no ounce of affection back at the dog.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2009, 07:08:30 pm »

Ah, but could it then close those doors?  I believe that is the mark of an intelligent dog.  Any dog can figure out where stuff is kept and how to knock or pry open a container.  It's shutting it behind them that's the real trick, since dogs would consider "barrier open" to be the natural state of all containers.  I say this because I too had a dog that could open any door put in front of it, but completely missed the concept of closing things.
Dogs have no need for closed doors, I dont think they really care about privacy.

(Except when they poop, even animals dont like it when people watch them do their business)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2009, 09:23:07 pm »

Well...

"Doors you do not want your Dog to Open"
-Front Door
-Back Door
-Garbage Room Door
-Laundry Room Door
-Pantry Door