Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Colony - The Discovery Channel's take on the end of the world  (Read 5571 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

In case you haven't seen the commercials flooding the cable airwaves, the Discovery Channel has a new miniseries to air starting next week.

The Colony

Long story short (I'm guessing), some super powerful virus wiped out a good chunk of humanity, society and industry has broken down, scattered remnants of humanity blah blah blah your typical death of mankind.  From the nonconfrontational Armageddon emerges a band of ten people - four women and six men, all with harrowing/inspiring life stories, each more moderately attractive and racially diverse than the last (except the two old farts, natch) - who against all ration hole up in a Southern California junk yard, to rebuild their own corner of civilization.

I'm ragging a bit on the boilerplate premise and producerizing, but let's be honest.  It's a show we've all wanted to see, based on a scenario we've all fantasized of being in.  The only way you could beef up a pitch like that is if the MythBusters promised a guest appearance.

Now, judging by the split-second teaser shots in the commercials, it'll probably be more about junkyard science tricks and semi-scripted character drama than any revealing implications of post-apocalyptic survival.  Nonetheless, I look forward to it with great anticipation, and expect loads of tangential discussion from our little enclave of anti-social intellectualism.

First question - who will the board rally around?  Michael Raines, the Crazy Prepared survivalist with equal love for crossbows and solar panels?  Or Professor John Cohn, the pyromaniac computer engineer with enough beard for a dozen men?

And I'll want some episode summaries, because naturally it's only going to air when I'm at work.  RAAAGE
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: The Colony - The Discovery Channel's take on the end of the world
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 12:52:54 pm »

So basically The Alaska Experiment taken to the next step?

I'm alright with that. Although I wonder how interaction with the Thugs will play out.

Then again, lacking the Discovery Channel I'll have to wait for it to appear on On Demmand. Crap.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:00:45 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 01:00:54 pm »

Not realistically at all I'm sure, since they're not allowed to shoot or main each other as one would expect.  The promo clip shows them just shouldering people out of the building.  Lame.

Though I always appreciate an excuse for people to work their Road Warrior thang.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 01:04:17 pm »

Another, more in-depth video.

Goddam did they make the game start hard.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 01:07:25 pm »

It might not be to bad, Discovery is one of the better channels.  Personally I think they should of recruited dwarf fortress players, though, since we are awesome and would try and hook a hydro-electric dam up to a volcano or something.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009, 01:08:03 pm »

I suddenly have an urge to start another zombie apocalypse forum game.

Time to break out FF7!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009, 01:15:54 pm »

I suddenly have an urge to start another zombie apocalypse forum game.

Or just a post-apocalypse survival game.  It's only a matter of time now.  Or maybe make an UnReal World style roguelike in a post-apoc environment.

And I've depressed myself with memories of Angry Red Planet again.  Dammit.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009, 01:23:54 pm »

Hmmmm, they don't seem to have chosen a very accurate cross section, where is the primary school teacher? The office worker? The bin men? Are we to believe that in the case of a viral outbreak the only people who would be immune would be those who have handy expertise?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009, 01:28:06 pm »

We're both going to end up starting a new one or continuing an old one, aren't we?

I just did a quick scope of what I'd do in a apocalyptic emergency, and I'm surprisingly set. Knife right be my computer (and another one near my laptop), shotgun's easily accessible (although there isn't nearly as much 4 buck as I'd like) with plenty of ammo. I'd start by grabbing the big ladder from my garage and getting it set up on the deck (it'd be the loudest thing to do, so I'd do it first). Then, I've got ruck sack which I'd fill with the MRE's and a few bottle of water (and some rope, which is in an easy to find box with a few big rolls of duct tape), I'd get that stuff to the roof (one handing the shotie  :-\), then go back down. Plug the bathtub (with duct tape in addition to the plug) and start it running, plug the sinks and start filling them. Find/make a sling for my shotgun, grab the R700 from the closet. Grab my cold weather sleeping bag. Go up on the roof, carefully empty the ruck. Tie some rope to something (probably a whirly bird), drop it down with the sack. Tie the R700 in case, fill the sack with whatever and hoist it up.
Go back down, change into better clothes quickly (especially boots!), grab the .22, and fill the sack with clothes (a sweater, the ACU jacket). Run an extension cord from the deck to the roof. Pull up my electric kettle, laptop, cell, chargers.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009, 02:15:45 pm »

I'm wondering what the martial artist is going to be good for in this situation.  She should've beaten up the marauders.  I have to agree with Aqizzar, though, Post Apocalyptic Road Warrior Gangs are up there with chainsaw-launchers and carving the moon into a huge skull and filling its eye sockets with burning copper salts on the list of things that would be totally awesome.
Shoes...

Maric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009, 02:32:58 pm »

I don't like the chick with the green overcoat. She doesn't even try to act like its real  :(.

One thing I don't like however is that it will never become a fight for survival in something like this. Its controlled as they said which ruins the entire thing  :(.

Will watch it however as I am interested in this stuff.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009, 02:38:20 pm »

These survival scenarios are a no brainer, really. It all comes down to:

1) Secure enough materials from junkyard.

2) Build giant robot.

3) Conquer Post-Apocalyptic Earth.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009, 02:51:06 pm »

Someone in the comments on the Youtube video said they should make an HBO series of the same premise, but with a zombie apocalypse.  Since it would be on HBO they wouldn't have to worry about violence, and you know it would be rad.
Shoes...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 03:50:06 pm »

What you need for post-apocolispe world:

1.  An autobioagraphy of some guy in the 1800's.

Surely one of his kind will know how to live in a world with less humans and no electricty (sorta).

2.  A chick.

So you ain't bored.  And not a bird unless you want too.

3.  A source of water.

Make sure that the water source is still so you get the most vitamuns.

4.  A gun.

Most likely a rifle or shotgun of some sort, of course they're harder to kill yourself with though.

5.  Onions (or lemons if you're low on onions)

They are good source of protein and scare away animals.  Bears won't touch the stuff.  Onions have the extra perk in that they scare off vampires.

6.  A DeLorean (if you have access to one)

So you can go back in time to 100 years or something before the apoclipse so you never have to live it.  Or you can go into the futur when humans of repopulated.(or died)

7.  A never ending stairway.

For excersise of course, how would you find a tredmill that works without power duh!

8.  The 10th Kingdom Novel

Just as good as the movie, probably longer.  It never ends.

9.  A Journal(?)

Could keep you busy writing stupid postapoclipse survival guides.

10.  HULK SHORTS

SO YOU CAN HULK SMASH STUFF.  HUZZAH!  BETTER THAN A GUN IF YOU HAVE ONE.  MAKES PEEING DISCOMPFERTING.

*///**/|?|/\\/\88?\/\/|??|/\8//\?|*?|??|*?|*?/8/|?*?8|?\8*?|/8*|?/8|?/8\*?|*??|/8\|?*|*?||*?*?\/*|?*|?|?*

*the page is teared right about here, you stop reading

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 11:23:31 pm »

What I think you need in post apocalypse world situation.

Code: [Select]
1: Knowledge, if you can't start a fire your probably dead soon, etc
2: Seeds to a easily grown plant that produces food, (vegetables etc)
3: An easily maintained bow (No ammo factories in a post apocalypse world, arrows can be made, See: 1)
4: Knife, preferably a sword (can be substituted with 1 if you have access to flint)
5: A not-easy-to-destroy distraction, (like a book or something, to keep your spirits up or something )
6: Water, at least a few days worth till you can find more
7: Rope, always useful
8: Ducktape, ALWAYS USEFUL

Can't think of more
Hmmmm, they don't seem to have chosen a very accurate cross section, where is the primary school teacher? The office worker? The bin men? Are we to believe that in the case of a viral outbreak the only people who would be immune would be those who have handy expertise?

If an apocalypse happened the first places that took the hit would be cities, office workers, bin men, teachers, would die,  then again so would the cross section they picked out, (can't remember who though) The higher percentage of survivors would probably be farmers, hunters, sailors, freight haulers (Truck, train etc), after all you don't drop nukes on farms, or random roads or in the ocean.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5