Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Colony - The Discovery Channel's take on the end of the world  (Read 5574 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: The Colony - The Discovery Channel's take on the end of the world
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 11:28:19 pm »

Replace sword with club. While a slicing weapon may be nice, it is easier to learn to use a club and can be just as deadly on unarmored opponents. And if a potential opponent stumbles upon Kevlar armor, one wants something that will still knock 'em up rather bad.

Then again, I'm not sure if Kevlar is cutproof or not.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 11:31:52 pm »

Replace sword with club. While a slicing weapon may be nice, it is easier to learn to use a club and can be just as deadly on unarmored opponents. And if a potential opponent stumbles upon Kevlar armor, one wants something that will still knock 'em up rather bad.

Then again, I'm not sure if Kevlar is cutproof or not.

A sword has other uses though  (try skinning a deer with a club)

The 'Biker' gang is basically a non issue until you actually start trying to build a new civilization, initially survival is the goal, and thats easier away from population centers, give it a year and all those biker gangs will either of perished or formed an alliance with the farmers, which is the first step to civilization.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:35:35 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 11:33:19 pm »

There would still be loads of store clerks, bus drivers, airline pilots, state troopers, road workers, and unemployed drifters.  Especially in America, you'd have to nuke the crap out of everything to do more than dent the population, since we're so spread out over semi-small towns and exurbs.

I'm pretty sure that's why the show went with a virus as an explanation.  Pretty good chance of killing everybody, regardless of occupation or geography unless you're already hiding way out in the woods.  That said, I'll be very interested to see how well these guys do, because if such a hand picked crew of born improvisers can't hack it, we're all fucked.

A sword?  What, do you think the Humungus is going to roll up and shout "Stand And Deliver!"  And no, kevlar is not cut proof.  In fact, that's one of it's most commonly cited shortcomings as police armor.  Not that I would skin a deer with something as unwieldy as a sword either.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:35:19 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 11:36:04 pm »

Alright, so the Kevlar defense is busted.

Still, I would prefer the 'ol blunt weapon. And using anything other than a knife to cut things like a tool is awkward and crude. You would need to use a knife even if you had a sword.

Edit: Screw it, this is not turning into the Guns vs. Swords debate(Which is stupid, but is a similar situation). Back to improvised gadgets.

Also, I wonder where they got the desolate abandoned city to do this at.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 11:39:00 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 11:38:47 pm »

That's why I, like the almighty Wez, would make crossbows out of car parts.  Versatile, dangerous, and logistical.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 11:46:41 pm »

That's why I, like the almighty Wez, would make crossbows out of car parts.  Versatile, dangerous, and logistical.

Bow would be better since its just a piece of wood. and some string.

Also, the knife/sword is just a matter of taste.
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 11:49:44 pm »

Crossbow is better, because you can make it out of car parts instead of trying to track down good bow-wood in an urban environment.  Really, it's not a matter of style, it's a matter of practicality.  That none of us are ever likely to contend with, of course.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 11:52:14 pm »

Why are you in an urban environment, you can't grow crops on cement.
Steam Profile

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 11:55:55 pm »

Because I live in an urban environment, and it's two hours by car to get to any place that could be called "rural".  Even so, I would stay here for at least a month or two, because of the far better scavenging options and abundance of resources.

Necessity may be the mother of invention, but it's not going to turn me or you into farmers overnight.  I've tried growing stuff.  It's a lot harder and more effort consuming than just tossing some seeds around and waiting for the Garden of Eden to sprout.  I'd be better off hunting feral dogs for a while.  Besides, there is plenty of dirt and grass and such in cities you know.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 11:57:11 pm »

I already AM a farmer.

I've lived on a farm all 19 years of my life, I don't know everything, but I know enough to get me through if needed.
Steam Profile

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2009, 12:00:46 am »

My apologies then.  Not knowing any different, I'd figured you were another suburbanite like 99% of the Internet.

I still stand by my commitment to urbanization though.  Call me a city slicker, but I'll take my chances here.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2009, 12:05:24 am »

Don't count guns out. Even with my horrible short coming supply of ammo, I have:
1 12 gauge with (I counted them today) 14 of 4 bird, 8 of 5 bird, and 4 of 4 buck.
1 .22 long rifle with about 30 rounds (note that I've never shot this particular gun, so it's possible that it might take awhile to get sorted out)
1  Scoped R700 with 8 .357 magnums (easily capable of taking down an elk, in my dad's words, it's overkill on a deer; never shot it before)

That's just my house. I could go up and down the street and gets lots more ammunition. Plus, at first sign of apocalypse, I'm damn sure going to stock up on everything.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2009, 01:14:39 am »

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/bios/

How does any of these professions, except doctor, have to do with survival?
Steam Profile

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 01:15:49 am »

Maybe... maybe... ROBOT ZOMBIES!!
It's a good thing they have those scientists.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 01:17:58 am »

Independent contractor would be especially useful (builds stuff for a living).
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5