Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Colony - The Discovery Channel's take on the end of the world  (Read 5572 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: The Colony - The Discovery Channel's take on the end of the world
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2009, 01:23:29 am »

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/bios/

How does any of these professions, except doctor, have to do with survival?

Like I said, there's a hell of a lot more to survival than farming.  All those mechanics and engineers would certainly come in handy for doing anything except regressing into the medieval ages.  However, the computer and martial arts people do seem rather superfluous, at least in an immediate sense.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2009, 01:30:06 am »

Independent contractor would be especially useful (builds stuff for a living).

Quote from: Wikipedia
An independent contractor is a natural person, business, or corporation which provides goods or services to another entity under terms specified in a contract or within a verbal agreement.

Not really a person who builds stuff. 

Like I said, there's a hell of a lot more to survival than farming.  All those mechanics and engineers would certainly come in handy for doing anything except regressing into the medieval ages.  However, the computer and martial arts people do seem rather superfluous, at least in an immediate sense.

Just doesn't seem realistic in my eyes I guess, if the world ends the last thing I'm worrying about is building solar panels or flying planes, or riding whales. (thats what marine scientists do right?) The Mechanics might be useful for building complex death traps for immigrants though
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2009, 01:31:37 am »

I'm a horrible person:

At least around Fargo, Independent Contractors are the smallish businesses that do Handyman jobs (like the friend who builds decks, or the surprisingly large crew who gutted our basement after the flood).
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2009, 01:34:38 am »

Come on Rilder, have you really spent your whole life so far from cities that you've never heard of Day Laborers?  That's what "Independent Contractor" euphemistically refers to - he used to be a guy who builds houses on a day-by-day cash payment.  That's good survivalist material.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 01:39:10 am »

Come on Rilder, have you really spent your whole life so far from cities that you've never heard of Day Laborers?  That's what "Independent Contractor" euphemistically refers to - he used to be a guy who builds houses on a day-by-day cash payment.  That's good survivalist material.

Well I just needed a bit of clarification, since all the rest seemed specialized to hell instead of general working class lads, I just figured he was also specialized to hell in some obscure craft.

Looks like he's gonna be the guy that everybody else tells what to do then heh.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 01:44:50 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 01:58:28 am »

I'd guess he'll be more the sort who actually does the things rather than talks about it.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2009, 03:41:07 am »

Well I just needed a bit of clarification, since all the rest seemed specialized to hell instead of general working class lads, I just figured he was also specialized to hell in some obscure craft.

Looks like he's gonna be the guy that everybody else tells what to do then heh.

Psh. He'll probably end up kicking the most ass on the show. I mean, just yesterday the house behind mine was getting it's roof repaired by about four day laborers, standing on the roof without any safety equipment, over hot black tar, handling heavy nail guns, in 108 degrees, in direct sunlight.
!!&!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2009, 03:46:49 am »

Psh. He'll probably end up kicking the most ass on the show. I mean, just yesterday the house behind mine was getting it's roof repaired by about four day laborers, standing on the roof without any safety equipment, over hot black tar, handling heavy nail guns, in 108 degrees, in direct sunlight.

Exactly.  When the end comes, I'll make my stand right here in the barrio.  People who know how to grow gardens, raise animals, build shit, live with minimal electricity and no running water, can take some heat or a punch, and recognize the value of community.  In other words, be ready to live in a dusty, pastoral commune with people who came from such a place.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 04:21:21 am »

This proves it we need to start a Bay 12 games reality show.

We'll take 7 random volunteer dwarf fortress players and throw them on a mountain and then film what happens.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 04:22:53 am by Rilder »
Steam Profile

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 04:25:29 am »

We will dig a large hole in the ground, move all our stuff in it, and slowly begin to delve into madness.
!!&!!

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 04:27:46 am »

I'll build a machine-gun nest!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 04:30:15 am »

Oh somebody just start the damn forum game already!  I'm busy running a Bay 12 reality show in the Sims.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 09:49:42 pm »

Oh somebody just start the damn forum game already!  I'm busy running a Bay 12 reality show in the Sims.
Seconded.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2009, 10:10:04 pm »

a Bay 12 reality show in the Sims.

that sounds awsome, do share details.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2009, 11:08:33 pm »

Seconded.

I really hate you two, you know that? Whichever of you two is up, do PM me, let's get this game started.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5