Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: dwarf fortress as reality?  (Read 2178 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: dwarf fortress as reality?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2009, 12:17:05 pm »

I think this goes in a different thread :)

But mathematically, the chance is near 100% that we are.
There is a fallacy in that math, of infinite recursion.  The probability of our simulators being in a simulation is arbitrarily close to the same, and their simulators' simulators, on and on forever.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2009, 03:50:23 pm »

I think this goes in a different thread :)

But mathematically, the chance is near 100% that we are.
There is a fallacy in that math, of infinite recursion.  The probability of our simulators being in a simulation is arbitrarily close to the same, and their simulators' simulators, on and on forever.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.   Given that there are infinite possible hierarchies of simulation, the chance that we're at the top is infinitely small.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2009, 04:30:12 pm »

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.   Given that there are infinite possible hierarchies of simulation, the chance that we're at the top is infinitely small.
Given that there are infinite possible hierarchies of simulation, there is no top, or at least the folks on top would have no way of knowing.  So the question, ultimately, produces no useful predictions about anything whatsoever.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 04:32:00 pm by Corona688 »

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2009, 05:00:34 pm »

Given that there are infinite possible hierarchies of simulation, there is no top, or at least the folks on top would have no way of knowing.  So the question, ultimately, produces no useful predictions about anything whatsoever.

That's like saying "given that there are infinite positive integers, there is no integer 1."   To be more specific:

1) This idea doesn't just imagine that there are infinite universes in an arbitrary hierarchy of simulation.  One "real" universe started out, and then,  at some point in its history, the residents of the first universe created a simulated universe that was complex enough to support a simulation within that simulation.

2) In any case, you haven't stated an objection to the idea that it's highly probable you're in a simulated universe. Just that you wouldn't KNOW that you were, and that the idea is probably useless. It doesn't mean that it's fallacious. In fact, we don't actually know if it's useless or not; it might have implications for M-theory.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2009, 05:57:15 pm »

As I have brought up someplace else, I am getting fed up with infinite universe theories and such.

If the 'universe is all' paradigm is correct then there can only be one universe. If there are multiple universes, then the term UNIverse needs to be discarded or the meaning changed to include all parallel universes and dimensions, requiring a new term for the old meaning of 'universe'.
Only the current model does not allow interaction between universes and thus other universes cannot be tested or disproven.
This dilemma reminds me of theology in that God is all and thus there can be no others and besides as gods cannot be tested, cannot be disproved.
In my thinking this only proves gods or other universes are a fun mindgame and can be a great plot device in fiction, but remain very unlikely.
Maybe the very large hadron collider will generate some clues. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2009, 06:22:26 pm »

That's like saying "given that there are infinite positive integers, there is no integer 1."
Not really.  We can identify the numeral one by specific properties about it.  Whereas a non-simulated universe has no such properties to identify it.  There's no way to tell if you're in the top-level universe or not.
In any case, you haven't stated an objection to the idea that it's highly probable you're in a simulated universe.
Just this:  What is the difference between two identical things that act completely the same in all respects?  Any distinction you make between them is an invented one, not a real one.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 08:04:46 pm »

Mwhahah, what a load of rubbish, of course we arnt in DF! We woulda been magma flooded ages ago!

Gee, do I suddenly feel like pulling this lever...
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 09:27:10 pm »

People's republic of china, PRC?
well it is simpler, but I'd say that they treat their citizens like shit there so... I don't know about india.

Of course it's simpler.

DISOBEY_AUTHORITY:PUNISHMENT_CAPITAL

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Singapore would need a whole new class of punishment. Something like PUNISH_ULTRA_SERIOUS for vandalism, theft and trespassing. And ONLY_IF_DIFFERENT_RELIGION is clearly used in RL for the Muslim and Hindu fundamentalists. That, and BARE_FEMALE_FLESH is PUNISH_CAPITAL in some places.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 09:31:10 pm by Praetyre »

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009, 01:01:49 pm »

wow another thread that I started turned into a debate :D just like my thread in the LCS section about president bush :D
Pages: 1 [2]