Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bank gets bored, sues itself  (Read 1312 times)

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: Bank gets bored, sues itself
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 01:12:27 pm »

It was only a matter of time. You can sue ANYONE for ANYTHING in the USA. Including YOURSELF!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 02:14:10 pm »

It was only a matter of time. You can sue ANYONE for ANYTHING in the USA. Including YOURSELF!
Internet, you have caused mental scarring for the last time!

I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT, INTERNET!

YES, ALL OF IT!
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 02:18:02 pm »

I'LL SEE YOU IN COURT, INTERNET!

YES, ALL OF IT!

I'd be honored to represent you!  I wonder who would have to take the stand for The Internet?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 02:27:36 pm »

Dun undastand no legal mumbo jumbo...

But chances are that bank isnt that dumb. It's either the safe way out of something or the cheaper way of doing something. Probably. Maybe it's also a sleazy way to weasle out of something.

Just a wild guess.... but it's probably about money in one way or another.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 02:29:23 pm »

I demand everybody who has interacted with this vile thing known as the Internet be brought to court and fined! It is the only way to be sure!

I wonder how I can fit African orphans into all this...
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 02:41:27 pm »

Maybe they're trying to illustrate the flaws in the legal system through satire.

But yeah, I agree that this is probably the easiest or cheapest way to do whatever they're doing.
Shoes...

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 02:43:37 pm »

This is the most pointless thing I have ever seen.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 02:45:36 pm »

There's only two possibilities.

Either the bank is fully aware of what it's constituent parts are doing - namely taking itself to court, denying it's own allegations, putting up a cardboard cutout for a prosecutor and a crack legal team for a defense - for some nefarious ulterior motive to skirt laws or penalties or taxes in some way.

The other possibility is that the left hand really doesn't know what the right hand is doing, and a major bank is about to go to court and beat the tar out of itself, in a brainless commitment to procedure and rote strategy.

I'm not sure which proposition is scarier.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 02:53:55 pm »

Third possibility:  It's a procedural requirement.  I saw a case where some kid who was in an auto accident, in order to properly get through all the legal hoops, HAD to sue his mother who was driving the car he was in as one of the parties.  He had to sue -everyone-, her, the other driver, the insurance company, etc., and once they were all in court he was able to say "Okay, and evidence shows that she wasn't the one at fault".

If someone was doing stuff with a mortgage and said "I'm suing everyone who holds a lien -except- that guy", then the court would say "Uh.  What, it doesn't work that way".  In this case, "that guy" is still...you...which is weird...but, meh.

The bank did not SUE ITSELF.  The bank sued an exhaustive list that contained itself, because it was required to sue that list to do anything.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 02:58:25 pm »

I did not just punch myself. I just punched everybody who saw me today, and I looked in a mirror.

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 02:59:33 pm »

I see what you're getting at, Sowelu, but what I don't get is why conflict of interest laws don't prevent this. It's obvious to everybody that Wells-Fargo isn't going to go after itself . . . unless the bank people are a lot dumber than I want to imagine. Shouldn't there be a neutral party in charge of the prosecution?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 03:00:38 pm »

Third possibility:  It's a procedural requirement.  I saw a case where some kid who was in an auto accident, in order to properly get through all the legal hoops, HAD to sue his mother who was driving the car he was in as one of the parties.  He had to sue -everyone-, her, the other driver, the insurance company, etc., and once they were all in court he was able to say "Okay, and evidence shows that she wasn't the one at fault".

No no, that's what happened, but was just the start of it.  At second glace, yes it was a procedural requirement.

But if you keep reading the article, you'll get to the third glance.  The bank, instead of just settling out of court with itself and rolling the mortgages together in closure, like any normal procedural requirement, hired a wizbang law firm to represent it's defense and denied it's own charges.  It later mentions that in the past few years this has gone from non-existent to increasingly common, where banks that hold multiple mortgages on one property actually carry their procedural indictments to full term and action.  Why, is the big question.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 03:07:05 pm »

The lulz.
Shoes...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 03:41:46 pm »

The lulz.
I really hope there are some executives at a long table turning purple laughing somewhere.

Whether those executives are of a bank or law firm, I really don't care.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 03:44:47 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Pages: [1] 2