Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarven Hobbies [BLOAT]  (Read 5511 times)

pikkusiili

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Hobbies [BLOAT]
« on: May 06, 2008, 12:33:00 pm »

Currently our little bearded friends like many things.  They like animals, they like jewels, they even like tentacle demons.  The one thing that they don't seem to like is work.  I would suggest that dwarves should have preffered jobs.  They can be listed in their profile screen:

Urist enjoys hunting and telling jokes.

Translation: Urist has preffered jobs in hunting and being a comedian.  

The way these could work would be dependant on the skill obviously, but in general terms, I imagine that instead of just going on break, a dwarf who likes to smooth stone might go and smooth a couple places that you have designated.  In like terms, if they like something like weaponsmithing, they might go to a forge and make a weapon.  Until the economy starts up, these items would belong to the fortress but after the economy starts up, each dwarf would keep their items as personal possessions.  They could then place them in a store to sell as a secondary source of income.

These hobby jobs could develop skills in the dwarves wether or not a skill is assigned them.  They also could be the source of happy/bad thoughts if the resources are there for their hobbies: "He has complained about the lack of wood lately.  He has complained about the lack of carpenter workshops lately. He enjoyed a good hunt lately."

When a dwarf is assigned to work on a job that matches his hobby, he would get happy thoughts.  Eventually though, the hobby would turn into a job (ie when they gain that deignation) and they might look to get a new hobby.  Hobbies could change as dwarves form friendships too, There could be a chance that one of the friend's hobbies is added to theirs or replaces theirs.  It also would allow dwarves with the same hobbies to make friendships based on their similarities.

Since dwarves with a hobby would effectively have that job enabled occasionally you could use that as an alternative to the tantrum code in some cases so that a dwarf that likes mining might go on a digging spree for his tantrum.  Granted this could cause problems but if doing one of his hobbies gave him happy thoughts, he might calm down more quickly.

They could also have disliked jobs that give them bad thoughts when they did them.

Ideas for writing up the likes and dislikes (In the form "Urist likes/hates to..."):

code:

Mining              dig tunnels
Wood cutter         cut wood  or defile trees
Carpenter           work with wood
Mason               work with stone
Engraver            make graffitti
Building designer   create flying buttresses
Weaponsmith         create destruction
Bowyer              create tension or make crossbows
Armorsmith          polish armor  or protect the weak
Metalsmith          make horseshoes
Furnace Operator    work bellows
Wood Burner         start fires
Metal Crafter       work metal
Stone Crafter       export his work or carve stone
Wood Crafter        anger elves
Bone Carver         carve bone
Gem Setter          make things flashy
Gem Cutter          cut gems
Mechanic            make things work
Fisherdwarf         fish or  taunt carp
Miller              grind things up
Thresher            beat grain
Grower              plow the soil
Herbalist           look at plants
Brewer              make bubbles
Cook                cook or make good victuals
Weaver              create intricate patterns
Clothier            run fashion shows
Dyer                change colors
Trapper             capture animals
Ambusher            hunt
Butcher             hack up corpses or  cut meat
Tanner              tan hides
Leatherworker       work leather
Fish Dissector      dissect fish
Animal Dissector    vivisect squirrels
Fish Cleaner        behead carp
Cheese Maker        eat mold
Milker              get up early
Animal Trainer      train dogs
Animal Caretaker    care for birds
Soaper              promote clenliness
Lye Maker           make lye
Potash Maker        bake ash
Glassmaker          gather sand or  blow glass
Wrestler            grapple  or wrestle  or get physical
Axedwarf            cleave flesh
Swordsdwarf         cut off limbs
Macedwarf           crush heads
Hammerdwarf         beat things flat  or play polo
Speardwarf          skewer his enemies  or go boar-hunting
Marksdwarf          shoot things
Shield User                        (not sure what works here)
Armor User          wear armor
Siege Engineer      smash goblins  (this could be better)
Siege Operator      throw rocks
Pump Operator       crank
Swimmer             get wet
Persuader           influence others
Negotiator          work things out
Liar                fib
Intimidator         look strong
Judge of Intent     understand motivations
Appraiser           examine goods
Organizer           organize
Record Keeper       take notes
Conversationalist   talk with others
Comedian            tell jokes
Flatterer           kiss up
Consoler            give comfort
Pacifier            calm others

Other potential Hobbies
code:

Music               make music
Dance               kick his heels up
fight               punch things
arson               start fires (probably limited to male children)

I'm sure there are many other good ways to write them up.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Hobbies [BLOAT]
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 12:40:00 pm »

While I like the general concept, I am concerned about the lack of control this gives the player over who is using/producing resources in your fortress. Already the dungeon master has to be manually locked out of all of my smithies when he shows up, as he'll just end up wasting ore to no particular end. Imagine having a bunch of hobbyist carpenters show up on a glacier map, turning all your carefully-hoarded wood into doors and floodgates. Or more commonly, a hobbyist miner destroying your ore veins.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 01:27:00 pm »

Urist Fireblazes has been content lately. He has lit a good fire recently. He has cackled recently.
He is a worshiper of Koganbal, diety of fire and lava.
He likes lighting things on fire, fire rubies, Bauxite, Forges, coal and imps for their living place.

Although with this there needs to be a way of designating jobs to be done for a specific quality. So you could have the master miners clear out the gem veins and the hobbyists make new stockpile rooms.

That and ban specific materials for hobbyists. "Wood shall only be used by our carpenters, nobody else!"

But other than that, sounds good.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »

I don't see why hobbies have to be related to one's job.   I mean, most people use hobbies to get away from their work.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>I don't see why hobbies have to be related to one's job.   I mean, most people use hobbies to get away from their work.</STRONG>
The OP didn't suggest this; in fact, he said that if dwarves end up with their jobs being what their hobbies currently are, they'd find new hobbies.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 04:31:00 pm »

When I read this... I kinda got disapointed... Not because it is a bad idea... but because you didn't suggest... well... hobbies except for 2... (Arson is not a hobby...)

I would have loved to see Dwarves collect bugs and end up with a collection stemming from fairies to Monarch Butterflies.

Or Dwarves start a rock collection.

Maybe a coin collection (should you ever be capable of buying currency from every part of the world)

However let me get to your idea...

The Idea is generally that Dwarves should have a particular job that they enjoy doing. No problem so far, as long as it isn't TOO life changing. Them finding it easier to make friends of similar hobbies is good too.

The idea that they against your will use up your resources outside they Fay moods is as of right now a bad idea since your almost always strapped for resources... but in the future when you can take other's resources or when Dwarves can buy from carrivans themselves (so they don't drain your resources) this idea will fit better. I guess you could have it so you can ban resources from hobbyists, but that just puts you in the possition where useful hobbies can never be fulfilled due to limited resources (I never get THAT much metal ever)

The Idea that in a Tantrum they do their hobby is just the weakening of Tantrums...

Overall the idea needs some revisions, some forms of it should change, and REAL hobbies would be nice too. It is still a do-able suggestion in my mind.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 05:53:00 pm »

I suggested something similar here.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 02:39:00 am »

I just saw this as "Dwarven Hobbits [BLOAT]".  Slightly different.

pikkusiili

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 10:57:00 am »

I think that my main intent was to add work to their likes/dislikes and then show some ways it could be made to interact with the world.  

You could have rock collecting, trinket collecting, pet training (kind of already there), reading (if we had books), sports (need to implement something, could be good for physical training without combat training), people watching, shopping, etc.  You could even add things as hobbies that have no special impact like admiring a certain historical figure (imagine a dwarf engraving the walls of his room with "posters" of the goddess of love).

As far as using up resources, I agree that you should not lose all your resources, if you allow them to use resources, there has to be a way to control it.  Then, if every dwarf has three hobbies it is unlikely that one will get three wood working ones.  The other thing is that a hoobyist's hobby could be filled with a current work order, i.e. the hobbyist miner might just go swing his pick where you have already designated mines.  You would need some way of saying which jobs were allowed to be done by hobbyists.

Overall it could add depth to the dwarf, even if it was just a superficial change and had no effect in-game.

One other thing I thought of was that if a dwarf was hurt seriously doing a job, he might gain a dislike for that job, especially if he was low level in it.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

Dumat Bakustdeler, Mayor has issued a mandate of censorship.
Lokum Kelolon, Stoneworker goes berserk!
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 12:55:00 pm »

Nice idea (well the only thing I don't like is a freecrafting... maybe this should lead to the option for workshop "avaliable/unavaliable for hobbies"). I.e. you'll have a "woodworkers guild" where someone will come and spend their time practicing hobbies while you will have a woordworks facility where you will produce your needed goods with experienced dwarves. Also tie an option to it in 'o'rders screen - allow/disallow hobbies, so if you're short on resources you make you dwarves unhappy but feel yourself safe. Why not.
Also a fun idea about tantruming.

Urist Underminedkeep is throwing tantrum!
Urist Underminedkeep has claimed the <Copper>
A part of cavern has collapsed!
The dwarf slams into an obstacle! x119
The dwarf has bled to death! x119
Urist Underminedkeep has calmed down.

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2008, 02:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pikkusiili:
<STRONG>
code:

Wood Burner         start fires
fight               punch things
arson               start fires (probably limited to male children)

I'm sure there are many other good ways to write them up.</STRONG>

O_O

Do not want Dwarven arsonists or bored wood burners.  Or bored soldiers, for that matter.

[ May 07, 2008: Message edited by: Sithlordz ]

You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 12:59:28 pm »

ARISE!
AARRIISSEE!!!
ARISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!!!
--

Just bringing this idea back out now that dwarves act like real people with real emotions. I also like the idea of hobbyists generating jobs automatically when I'm not paying attention to their industries specifically- though it'd be nice if hobbies were given the lowest priority as to not upset important time-sensitive projects.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 08:10:09 pm »

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 08:57:59 pm »

Well this should happen in their free time...
It would be interesting to see political figures rise, due to their socializing nature.
Pages: [1] 2