Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Removing Hands  (Read 16218 times)

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
Removing Hands
« on: July 14, 2009, 08:30:04 am »

I'm not actually sure if this is in the right thread, and I apologize if its not.

So one of my champions has picked up an Artifact xbow which I don't want him to have. since champions dont ever drop artifacts ever Iv been searching these forums for some way to force the issue. After a couple of try's the best Iv come up with is modding out hands - nothing from him to grab it with, no problem (clearly Ill mod them back after he drops it). So my questions are:

1) Is it actually possible to mod creatures so they have no hands?
(if no never mind the rest)
2) Will it require a whole world regen to take effect or is it instant upon rentering the game?
(if yes to whole regen ignore the rest as it wont really help me)
3) Can I mod hands out for one person or does it have to be for all dwarfs (I'm guessing the latter, neither really bothers me)
4) How would I go about this? I know its in the raws *somewhere* but where and what specifically do I need to change?
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Zwergner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Hands
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:58:14 am »

I'm pretty sure modifying the raws is not retroactive.  Not speaking from experience, just from reading posts similar to this in the past.  Because he's already been generated, it will not make a difference.
Dwarf Transplant updating utility

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:19:43 am »

I'm pretty sure modifying the raws is not retroactive.  Not speaking from experience, just from reading posts similar to this in the past.  Because he's already been generated, it will not make a difference.

From what I've read, modifying the raws is retroactive, at least in some cases, from stories of people solving catsplosions using [AQUATIC] and [IMMOBILE_LAND]  (or sometimes [HOMEOTHERM:40000] and [SEVERONBREAKS]).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:48:52 am »

modifing the raws is retroactive unless you add a new thing, any new creature / item / reaction needs to be regenerated (I think)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 10:40:07 am »

I think the simplest way to do this is:

Open 'body_default.txt' in the raw/objects folder.
You find [BODY:HUMANOID], and remove the following thats below it:
[BP:RH:right hand][CON:RLA][GRASP]
[BP:LH:left hand][CON:LLA][GRASP]

That should do it, but do note that all humanoids will lose their hands from this.

Why do you need this though? Champion refusing to drop artifact?

Well, to put it back to normal, just put back what you removed. Or you could make a backup before modifying.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 12:08:17 pm »

It'd be easier to just remove the [GRASP] tag from the hand that's holding the artifact crossbow. That way, your whole fortress doesn't grind to a halt because nobody can haul anything.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 07:33:54 pm »

Ok just incase anyone searches for a solution to a similar problem and stumbles across this thread, removing tags in the raws will Not make a Dwarf drop an artifact. I just tryed, and my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 07:35:00 pm »

What? He's firing from the hip.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 10:43:36 pm »

You... you owe me a keyboard. Because mine now has mountain dew and spit all over it. ew

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 11:28:01 pm »

i love you
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 01:42:10 am »

i love you

You'll love Sofia.

Oh wait. That's off topic.

@OP: Well, you need to make that dwarf unconsious first.
Either using Dwarf Companion, or removing Dwarves' brains first.
So you remove the brain, make the champion unconscious, forbid the artifact, save game, mod the brain to be there again.

Try it, at least.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:45:16 am »

Either using Dwarf Companion, or removing Dwarves' brains first.

You can remove the brain of a living dwarf???

That... is... awesome....

I suppose there isn't any way to store it somewhere and keep the dwarf functional, right?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:50:32 am »

Changing his weapon preference temporarily to say Axes doesn't do anything does it?
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 11:38:27 am »

goddammit i almost choked on my bubblegum you clever bastard
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 10:58:25 pm »

I'm not actually sure if this is in the right thread, and I apologize if its not.

So one of my champions has picked up an Artifact xbow which I don't want him to have. since champions dont ever drop artifacts ever Iv been searching these forums for some way to force the issue. After a couple of try's the best Iv come up with is modding out hands - nothing from him to grab it with, no problem (clearly Ill mod them back after he drops it). So my questions are:

1) Is it actually possible to mod creatures so they have no hands?
(if no never mind the rest)
2) Will it require a whole world regen to take effect or is it instant upon rentering the game?
(if yes to whole regen ignore the rest as it wont really help me)
3) Can I mod hands out for one person or does it have to be for all dwarfs (I'm guessing the latter, neither really bothers me)
4) How would I go about this? I know its in the raws *somewhere* but where and what specifically do I need to change?

If the artifact is made of bauxite (-thats- rare) or adamantium, I recommend using magma.
Pages: [1] 2