Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Girl falls down manhole in Staton Island  (Read 1433 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Girl falls down manhole in Staton Island
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 10:55:26 pm »

Err, well, you know guys...I'm pretty certain this is Professional Negligence Resulting in Injury, because city workers are required to block off manholes before they open them. Or at least, that would be the case here and I assume the states laws operate the same way. Yes, falling down a manhole is stupid, but someone also wasn't doing their fucking job if it was open, unwatched and completely unmarked.

I'm against frivolous lawsuits, but I'd be surprised if she lost this.
I'm suing you for pointing this out.

I'm suing you for suing Kinseti. He's a cool guy, and this causes me EMOTIONAL DISTRESS!

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 11:32:52 pm »

There was a case here a few years ago when a woman was walking her dog through a construction site and fell into a ditch, breaking one of her legs. In order to get into the construction site, she had to walk both around and under multiple saftey barriers. She sued on the grounds that "that's the way she always took her dog for a walk". Her case was successful on the grounds that the construction crew didn't do enough to make the worksite safe - that is, they didn't cover the ditch with boards or objects that prevented people from walking over them.

Go liability laws, protecting the rights of people who should just die STFU and learn not to be so stupid. The construction project had to basically shut down halfway through for 6 months as they found more funding. They were making renovations to a school.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 11:35:28 pm by Agdune »
I'm Mr. Cellophane

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 11:35:46 pm »

Why the hell was she in a construction site in the first place? Shes either fucking stupid or at least trespassing.

Ohaeri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 11:36:50 pm »

There was a case here a few years ago when a woman was walking her dog through a construction site and fell into a ditch, breaking one of her legs. In order to get into the construction site, she had to walk both around and under multiple saftey barriers. She sued on the grounds that "that's the way she always took her dog for a walk". Her case was successful on the grounds that the construction crew didn't do enough to make the worksite safe - that is, they didn't cover the ditch with boards or objects that prevented people from walking over them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 11:52:20 pm »

Go liability laws, protecting the rights of people who should just die STFU and learn not to be so stupid. The construction project had to basically shut down halfway through for 6 months as they found more funding. They were making renovations to a school.

Do you live in the west coast of Canada? 'Cause that would explain why the renovations to my school took so long, and why the constructions crews were always really pissed off at dogwalkers.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 11:57:37 pm »

Hey guys! I'm gonna go trip over a sidewalk crack and sue the state for negligence! Wish me luck!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 11:59:34 pm »

Hey guys! I'm gonna go trip over a sidewalk crack and sue the state for negligence! Wish me luck!
Have fun, I'm going to jump around a construction site of some tycoon and take 'em down.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 01:01:34 am »

I'll fall off of the roof of city hall THIRTY SEVEN TIMES while birdwatching.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 01:04:16 am »

I'll fall off of the roof of city hall THIRTY SEVEN TIMES while birdwatching.
I think you might be too dead to sue them. Unless it's only a 1 story city hall.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 01:05:38 am »

Are you serious? My house is one of the only ~50 buildings in town over a story and a half tall!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 [2]