Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Changing the price of imported goods only

(1/1)

46852:
Is it possible to mod the game so that imported goods values would be higher. I mean that for example if I'm selling a plump helmet, it would net me 4$, but if I'd be buying it from the caravan, it'd be 12$ (three times base price). Trade agreements would ofcourse affect the import/export price too.

I'd like to do this to make the game a bit harder because it seems quite easy to sweep the caravans clean of useful stuff just by trading off a few high value rare metal statues for example. And cranking out crafts nets quite a lot too, especially when you get into metal crafting and decorations.

PS. Also is there a way to reduce the amount of mugs produced / resource to 1, like other crafts?

PS. Oh bollocks was supposed to post this to Modding section  ::)

taf_esra:
Even if you change it to 5x the normal cost of goods I have a feeling that it'll still be quite easy to buy everything from the caravan.

Grendus:
Craft production is way too fast, crafts produced are way too valuable, and required goods are way too cheap. To top it off, dwarves eat two or three times per season as opposed to two or three times a day, so you need on average 87 less units of food per season per dwarf than a RL human. That's not counting the booze or water you'd need. The only forgiveness here is that dwarves travel speed is substantially slow when you consider how quickly time passes in game compared to RL.

A single farmer can feed a fortress of 200 (granted, that's not including the processing and cooking labors). That's only possible IRL with fertilizers and expensive machinery. A dwarf can produce a dozen stone mugs a day easy using nothing but a piece of Rhyolite for a workshop. Plants can be brewed into 5x as much alcohol then cooked back into solid food, or else (if you want to avoid the brewcooking exploit) you can grow Sweet Pods that do the same thing by design. Magma can be used to cut the amount of charcoal needed for forgecraft by 3/4.

This is Dwarf Fortress, reality has no place here.

detinith:
I agree that increasing the cost of imports outside of a trade agreement might not change a lot; I routinely offer dozens of thousands of dim-dums to the traders every autumn so I get all the migrants I can handle.

If it's not for difficulty or added challenge but reality's sake, there's a whole lot of other things you could change to make it more real but in the end it just might be a pain in the butt for the effort. Maybe when Toady implements world trade, prices will be economy-based and therefore a lot more real :D

HatfieldCW:
I tend to think of DF dwarfs as being magical creatures rather than the diminutive scotsmen or hirsute barbarians of western scifi.  They're like gnomes or elfs, doing a week's worth of work in a single night or making incredibly intricate mechanisms and crafts with just their hands.  Then they take a break, and spend a week drinking beer and puking on statues, then eat some kittens and sleep for a month.  I envision them being about three feet tall and incredibly muscular, like little Terminators.

But yeah, trade prices are out of whack.  I think the broker's skill should play a larger role, and the trade agreement should be more relevant.  When I ask for bauxite and steel and they bring me cages and flour, they don't sell those things.  If they want shields and chains and I turn up at the depot with 5000 rock mugs and some kitten skull totems, why do they buy them?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version