Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Non-generic statues!  (Read 7539 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Non-generic statues!
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 07:57:10 pm »

This is a gold statue of a Zoolander.  All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quailty.  On it is an image of a really really really good looking guy.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 07:59:55 pm »

I know I'm giving myself entirely too much importance, but the way Toady talked about it sounded like he went to effort at the moment in response to my spitefulness.  I think that's why the statue of clouds was highlighted.  I'm also an egomaniacal bunghole.

So you can blame me for making the release take a day longer, but this is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.  Statues of things.  Completely random dwarven things.  Righteous.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 08:08:05 pm »

It would be nice if statues didn't include symbols. Maybe statues should only pull from historical figures, works of art, types of creatures. More abstract items could be a sculpture instead, with a separate build order.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2009, 09:41:18 pm »

It would be nice if statues didn't include symbols. Maybe statues should only pull from historical figures, works of art, types of creatures. More abstract items could be a sculpture instead, with a separate build order.

That is stuff Toady wants to do but this was Toady responding to someone asking for a quick fix not a indepth change to Statues.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2009, 10:00:34 pm »

Overall I think it's a positive change.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2009, 10:02:10 pm »

Operative phrase in my post:
It would be nice...
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2009, 10:15:35 pm »

I can imagine a future where, when you go to build a statue, you get the option to open up the world history and entity lists and pick events, people, objects, etc.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2009, 10:17:42 pm »

That strikes me as a bit heavy in the mind-control category, though. I'm not really sure how I feel about telling your dwarven artisans what they should create.

Besides, your dwarves don't necessarily know all of world history.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2009, 10:19:16 pm »

That strikes me as a bit heavy in the mind-control category, though. I'm not really sure how I feel about telling your dwarven artisans what they should create.

Besides, your dwarves don't necessarily know all of world history.

Telling them what statue to make is more heavy handed than telling them to pull a death lever, drowning their only son... or the exact size of the new dining hall that needs to be dug out, or where to place furniture?

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2009, 10:39:50 pm »

Yep.  What they make could be an expression of themselves as much as engraving is.  Whereas pulling a lever, moving furniture, digging rock, the result's ultimately the same no matter what dwarf does it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 10:41:30 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2009, 10:46:47 pm »

Sigh, statues have been commissioned 10,000,000's of times throughout history. You should actually keep both options.

What noble lineage HASN'T ordered a statue of some kind for some reason? God.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2009, 10:50:15 pm »

Just chill out man, Toady will find his own methods anyway.  ;p  The ability to copy an existing statue might be useful...
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 10:56:45 pm »

Sigh, statues have been commissioned 10,000,000's of times throughout history. You should actually keep both options.

What noble lineage HASN'T ordered a statue of some kind for some reason? God.
QFT.

You should be able to choose a theme for your staue. For example I dont want my graveyard to be full of statues of tentacle monsters and squares and clouds.

Plus Im sure if you dont let people control the type they will just end up making thousands to find what they want, abusing save states, and other pointless stuff that doesnt seem very fun or realistic.

Not that this is bad now, its certainly an improvement from nothing on the statues at all.

Chalk

• Bay Watcher
  • oh dear
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2009, 11:16:42 pm »

I'm psyched for this! The random engravings/decorations are always the fun part of my middlegame, once the fort has some accomplishments under its belt. To be honest, anything that gets me closer to looking at things like my dwarves can is okay in my book.

Plus, this means that the gold statues in my noble's quarters can finally be as strange as they are.   8)

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2009, 11:27:10 pm »

Aw man, it really is going to be put in. From scanning the thread too fast I thought it was Toady testing something or somesuch. Is it too late to make him take it out D:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:26:57 am by Wooty »
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8