Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Non-generic statues!  (Read 7531 times)

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
Re: Non-generic statues!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2009, 11:32:13 pm »

This thread scared me for a second, I thought this was really going to be put into the next release.

Yeah..
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2009, 11:53:27 pm »

This thread scared me for a second, I thought this was really going to be put into the next release.

Why wouldn't it?

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2009, 01:51:47 am »

So...
Are the nobles going to start requesting specific statues? :(
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2009, 05:14:36 am »

A mandate for 3 adamantine fire snake statues :D.

And you thought that clear glass windows were bad...

P.S. Microcline statue of diamonds I see... Imagine a microcline statue of microcline! :) A true dwarfness.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:16:32 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2009, 05:31:42 am »

I would love non generic statues :D In fact, they fit in so well with the game that I thought it was a feature that was disabled by default.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2009, 06:22:32 am »

Wohoo! We can now make elf statues out of wood and try selling them to the elves. That would piss them off.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2009, 07:06:15 am »

For example I dont want my graveyard to be full of statues of tentacle monsters [...].

Why not?  ;)

Best place for 'em.  Especially if you ever get around to playing the game through a kind of DoomDwarf interface!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2009, 07:42:56 am »

This is a statue of the masterpiece engraving "The stupid axes of lemon-steel."
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2009, 09:10:09 am »

Sigh, statues have been commissioned 10,000,000's of times throughout history. You should actually keep both options.

What noble lineage HASN'T ordered a statue of some kind for some reason? God.

Actually, that's kind of awesome... When a noble mandates a statue, it should be built based on the NOBLE'S preferences rather than the artists.  WIN

Also, for historical events as statues, consider the Michael casting down Satan theme.  Very popular in statuary, and it's an event, not a person.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2009, 09:18:59 am »

Sigh, statues have been commissioned 10,000,000's of times throughout history. You should actually keep both options.

What noble lineage HASN'T ordered a statue of some kind for some reason? God.

Actually, that's kind of awesome... When a noble mandates a statue, it should be built based on the NOBLE'S preferences rather than the artists.  WIN

Except that you cant tell the mason what kind of statue to build.  So - joy of joys - you get to make 10,000 of them.

Seriously, I dont like this idea.  It adds no gameplay, it annoys anal players like me who want their statuary to make sense, and it simply adds one more thing that a new player is not going to understand or like.  How well will it go when we get a thousand newbies coming in here asking why they have to make a hundred statues just to get one that isnt clouds?

Now if we could actually TELL the dwarves what to build, then that'd be totally fine.  But judging from the crafts model and the engravings and sewing models I'm gonna guess we have no control.
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 09:29:39 am »

Maybe you misread me...  That should happen automagically.  If a dwarf is making a statue (or any other mandated item), it should be made using the noble's preferences, not the craftdwarf's.  No user interaction, it just happens.

The Anal vs Realism debate has been going on a crazy long time.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 09:48:55 am »

Maybe you misread me...  That should happen automagically.  If a dwarf is making a statue (or any other mandated item), it should be made using the noble's preferences, not the craftdwarf's.  No user interaction, it just happens.

The Anal vs Realism debate has been going on a crazy long time.

I didnt misread anything, you never wrote anything about 'automagic'.  I was just going off the way the game works now.  We have no control.  Its not a big deal that we cant control statues now...but it will be yet another annoyance with mandates. 

As for anal vs. realism....I actually like realism, in my opinion I dont think thats the problem here.  I think the debate youre referring to is player control vs. dwarf control.  I dont mind dwarf control where it makes sense and where it adds to the game....but having to make 10,000 statues just to fill a mandate because I cant just tell the mason to build what we need doesnt add any fun.

And it doesnt add any fun for the OCD players who spend 40 years making some gigantic ornate castle to go into their kings throne room in adventure mode and see statues of cheese.

Its already a pain in the arse for me when I try to get only the elf and human skull totems built in front of my temple (and not donkey skull totems and the like).  Now I gotta go through that same thing everytime I place a statue.  ARGGGH!!!!!  (light hearted yell, tongue in cheek and in jest for those who cant tell)

Why Aqizzar?!?!       :-\   ;D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:00:43 pm by MrGimp »
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 09:58:53 am »

Actually, that's kind of awesome... "I Like this idea".  When a noble mandates a statue, "When a mandate is active, and it is for a statue," it should be built "When the craftsdwarf is at the workshop, about to complete a statue that will meet the mandate" based on the NOBLE'S preferences rather than the artists. "The roll to determine what is on the statue should use the noble's preferences in place of the craftsman's"

Nope, that's exactly what I said.  Sorry, you misread.   

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 10:20:59 am »

Actually, that's kind of awesome... "I Like this idea".  When a noble mandates a statue, "When a mandate is active, and it is for a statue," it should be built "When the craftsdwarf is at the workshop, about to complete a statue that will meet the mandate" based on the NOBLE'S preferences rather than the artists. "The roll to determine what is on the statue should use the noble's preferences in place of the craftsman's"

Nope, that's exactly what I said.  Sorry, you misread.   

*smacks forehead with hand*

(sigh)  Well I could try to explain to you that that isnt what you said, and thats why you had to add all that extra text...but seriously, why would I bother?  This kind of response makes me think you just want to argue.

Would someone without an ego problem please post? 

Im seriously just trying to say that the current way the game handles these random constructions is tedious to the extreme, and it is my lowly humble worthless opinion that those problems should be fixed before we add more random constructions.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:04:49 pm by MrGimp »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 10:35:28 am »

For god's sake man, chill out, it's a game.  Nobody capable of bursting arteries over virtual cheese statues should ever have come within a mile of a game with 100% random content.  Noble demands are never that specific...  They may want funny materials but the ability to demand things about things would surely be a feature only added after you're given the ability to supply it on demand.  When nobles demanded glass without sand, that was considered a bug and fixed, after all.

As for improving it, that it was so easily added suggests they use the same system.  Improvements to one should carry over.

I still think the ability to copy an item would be a useful middle ground though, albeit with varying degrees of probably lesser quality.  It makes sense that they'd be able to do it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:48:22 am by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8